AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Truth in Fiction - Fireflies Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.13
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.88
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Truth in Fiction - Fireflies

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (08/29/08)
Truth in FictionFireflies
Record Label: Fabtone Records
Release Date: May 2008

Truth in Fiction craft pop punk confections with a romantic flare reflective of Long Island’s Push Play and Philadelphia’s Valencia. The band’s latest release Fireflies does not just have one song made for couples, but an entire album that is dedicated to the excitement and tension that consumes you when you are in the mists of a romance. Some tunes have a dance-rock bounce like “Right Now” as bassist Kristian Riley and drummer Scott Seiver hike up the volume and then chill to a lukewarm surf on the power rock ballad “Breathe Me.” Lead singer/guitarist Mike Wisth nestles into the rhythmic flow, going easy on “Breathe Me” and rustling fervently through the pop punk surges of “S.A.T.,” as guitarist Daniel Beres lines the drum fills with feathery vibrations that produce intervals of lively gusts and breezy winds.

The minting of acoustic and rock elements through “Drunken Phone Call” has an oxidization of acoustic rock stains along the pop punk piping resulting in multiplying the melodies layers. The industrial effects that flare up spontaneously along the bridge of “Excuse” give the tune a metallic glow, although it takes away from the song’s natural cuts, which this band is fabulous at carving. These are songs that will make their way into your life when you look over memories about what attracted you to someone special that got away, The lyrics for “Drunken Phone Call” reveal such feelings in verses like, “It’s just a drunken phone call from a lonely motel just off Highway 17 / And time keeps moving and I keep thinking that you’re the only one who would wait for me / But it seems like I’ve been trying to let you go / Hey Sweetheart, don’t forget who told you so / Hush, smile, turn, and walk away / Falling in love was your only mistake / You never meant to stay / Break my heart with the way you shake.”

You never forget the first person who awoke sensations in your body that have been locked inside, and Truth in Fictions words let you remember those times and that person. Produced by Kristian Riley, TIF’s Fireflies exposes feelings that you may want to keep shut, but there is no denying that this is what makes their album powerful and able to relate to individual lives on a large scale.

Recommended if you like:Push Play, Valencia, Daphne Love Derby

www.myspace.com/truthinfiction

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
11:19 PM on 08/29/08
streydogg
User Info.
Another good review/rating. I'm going to have to check these guys. I haven't heard of them. Maybe I'm sleeping...too much new music and I'm backpacking Asia/Australia right now so I'm behind in times!

Cheers for the Review though!
09:10 PM on 08/30/08
Remy049
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hated this review because there was no mention of Over It, the best song on the album edit: actually, I guess that song's pretty generic, I just LOVE the "Here's a thought, lets go out drinkin'" part.
10:32 AM on 09/03/08
goodnewsgeorge
User Info.
more people should be listening to this band!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums