AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Deas Vail - White Lights Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 9.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 83%
Inside AP.net

Deas Vail - White Lights

Reviewed by: thepianominstre (09/01/08)
Deas Vail - White Lights
Record Label: Brave New World Records
Release Date: August 26, 2008

Deas Vail was a pleasant surprise last year with their debut All the Houses Look the Same. The smart, piano-driven melodies, melded by Mark Lee Townsend's production quality and topped with Wes Blaylock's soaring vocals, have been creating remarkable impressions everywhere. They've wasted no time working on the next chapter in their growing history, and with White Lights they've given us a five-song EP to hold us over until the new full-length releases early next year.

The familiar Deas Vail elements are present here, once again treating us to the cohesion of Laura Blaylock's flowing keys, Kelsey Harelson's deliberate rhythms, Justin Froning's nimble bass, and Andy Moore's undulating guitar work. Their strategy of pulling things back for the choruses threatens to feel overused, but it's not regrettable. Fans looking for progression will note the added influence of strings, which throughout the EP sounds not unlike a string quartet coming out of the background to add accentuating flavor (I confess that the coda of "Balance" reminded me of Relient K's "Failure to Excommunicate"). Background vocals are also given more of a role, complementing Wes at several strong points.

For the most part, the lyrics contain the typical Deas Vail abstractness, although there may be some growth here as well. "White Lights" is simultaneously Wes's most complete metaphor and most straightforward tale to date. "From Priests to Thieves" is a haunting admission of loss: "We're not coming back / It's all our fault / We loved ourselves and lost it all / What have we done / What have we become?" Wes carries it, but it's Laura's softly wrenching harmonies that sell it.

Deftly creating an engaging musical landscape, listeners will wade through smart rhythms and subtle time signatures in an atmosphere of flawless production that brings out the talents of each band member without ever sounding busy. The keys and vocals of the debut reminded many of Mae or Mew; the soothing guitars here are drawing more comparisons to Edison Glass. Complemented by the natural tone of a few strings, this is the perfect EP to experience over and over on a lazy swing as you watch summer turn into fall.

Soothing but not dull, active but not poppy, beautiful but not proud - Deas Vail has captured me again. There's nothing quintessential here that will rival fan favorites such as "Shoreline" or "Rewind," but it's another very strong and satisfying release, and since you can order it for $5 with free shipping, you have no excuse.

Track Listing:01. Undercover (3:18)
02. White Lights (3:36)
03. Last Place (3:25)
04. From Priests to Thieves (3:53)
05. Balance (3:47)

Recommended if You LikeMae; Edison Glass; tall guitar players; 2/4 drum beats under 3/4 melodies

myspace.com/deasvail

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
03:03 PM on 09/24/08
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
I love this EP. I find it has a little more consistant beauty than the full-length, and I really like the strings (especially in "Balance"). Though "White Lights" is the most popular song, I actually prefer "Undercover" because I like the verses more than those of "White Lights"

Good review
09:37 PM on 01/16/09
demonryu
Journalist
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I had never heard of this band before and just started listening today and they're stellar. I'm loving their vocalist.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests