AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

RIAA News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The RIAA v. U

Posted by - 09:40 AM on 09/02/08
Now that school is kicking back into effect, you might be curious what the RIAA and universities are doing to battle P2P downloading applications. Ars Techinca wraps up several colleges' new policies and plans of action in this article.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
09:47 AM on 09/02/08
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love how none of these morons realize that 80% of piracy is totally friends sending music to one another (AIM, SendSpace, YouSendIt, etc.) I may be a few years out of college but I'd be willing to guess that your average 19-year-old dumbass can't usually wrap his head around how a torrent works or how to use IRC channels/Usenet effectively.
09:56 AM on 09/02/08
marchofmarty
SPINE, THIGH, AND BREAST
User Info.
I started torrenting before I graduated high school, sorry.
09:59 AM on 09/02/08
ZoSo1886
www.twitter.com/jamesbenedictnj
User Info.
torrents are great after i can no longer be a part of the P2P network that is solely on my former campus
10:01 AM on 09/02/08
Phil507
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I started torrenting before I graduated high school, sorry.

You're still ahead of the curve.
10:08 AM on 09/02/08
marchofmarty
SPINE, THIGH, AND BREAST
User Info.
You're still ahead of the curve.

Only by three months. :(

Although I will say this, I was like 16 maybe 17 when I first used it and I didn't have a damn clue what I was doing lol.
10:09 AM on 09/02/08
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
i usually find albums on sharing sites. if i like it i buy it. if i don't like it, i delete it. isn't that the RIAA's rule anyway? you can have it for 24 hours?

i used limewire in middle school and used torrents in like 9th / 10th grade but i got really sick of them
10:10 AM on 09/02/08
furey
hard action- hot reaction
User Info.
hmm i don't know if this is going to make a drastic effect. well hopefully they get it on
10:18 AM on 09/02/08
Griff
It's getting fucking dark.
User Info.
i usually find albums on it-leaked or the leakage channel. if i like it i buy it. if i don't like it, i delete it. isn't that the RIAA's rule anyway? you can have it for 24 hours?

i used limewire in middle school and used torrents in like 9th / 10th grade but i got really sick of them

Dont be giving away good sites!!
10:28 AM on 09/02/08
Keaton
Fuck 'Em All
User Info.
ok, I DON'T GET IT.
if I download off megaupload/sendspace/aim/etc, is that *~p2p*~ and will I get like sued when im off to college, or is it really like if I use limewire/torrents etc...?
10:38 AM on 09/02/08
SwishMX48
In December, drinkin' Horchata
User Info.
OU had the limewire stuff on campus pretty locked down for awhile last year. I tried to warn a girl I was dating not to use it and her internet/cable was disconnected about 5 minutes after she dled one song. It was actually kind of funny.
10:58 AM on 09/02/08
SoCoSquid4
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i live off campus. i do torrents.

i used to use Ruckus and then strip the DRM software from it, but ruckus/windows media beefed up their securities and fairuse4wm doesnt work anymore with it.
11:06 AM on 09/02/08
Phil507
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ok, I DON'T GET IT.
if I download off megaupload/sendspace/aim/etc, is that *~p2p*~ and will I get like sued when im off to college, or is it really like if I use limewire/torrents etc...?

If you're smart enough to get into college, you should be able to figure out how to download an mp3 without getting busted.
12:05 PM on 09/02/08
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
I just have my brother send me songs as attachments on emails, or I'll download stuff when I go home for washing clothes every week or so.
12:17 PM on 09/02/08
Schmidty Says
Bitch Better Have My Honey!
User Info.
I got busted last school year. There weren't any serious repercussions; my internet was turned off for 4 days and I had to take an online quiz. As soon as I took the quiz, the internet was turned back on. Since then, I've found better ways of doing things...I refuse to do it at school, though. A little paranoid now.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos