AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Johnny Foreigner - Waited Up 'Til It Was... Album Cover

Johnny Foreigner - Waited Up 'Til It Was...

Reviewed by
Johnny ForeignerWaited Up ‘Til It Was Light
Record Label: Nettwerk
Release Date: September 23, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
We all have those friends that are impossible to please…musically. These stubborn enigmas are excruciating in the worst kind of way. My pal, we’ll call him Ferdinand, was a member of this prestigious group until yesterday. 3 years of me playing this, that and the other, and I finally broke new ground. I have wowed him. This speaks volumes about Waited Up ‘Til It Was Light, the debut of British synth-infused punks Johnny Foreigner. Their song “Salt, Peppa, And Spinderella,” and Ferdinand will agree with me on this point, has one of the most resourceful and pleasing climaxes you will ever hear. Not a moment is wasted. Spoken word sections from Alexei Berrow (“Bring out the real front / Turn on the real drums!”) overtake Kelly Southern’s melodic “Doot Doot Doot’s” and glorious guitars knock us into next week. One song and he was sold. I had never seen someone study a stereo so intently, as if it would open and divulge the glory of Johnny Foreigner’s zany songwriting.

Here, just watch:

Other than the wonder track, Waited Up ‘Til It Was Light has 12 songs of dual vocal bliss (acoustic ballad “DJs Get Doubts”), noisy but melodic opuses (“Absolute Balance” and it’s love of the delay pedal) and catchy sing-a-longs (“Cranes and Cranes and Cranes and Cranes”). Perhaps their greatest strength is these songs’ nonchalant vibe. We hear the voice of youths us Americans no nothing about. You’ll find it’s quite easy to relate, though. The lyrical content tackles discontentment, unforgettable memories and regurgitated music. Standard stuff, but said in interesting ways: “You should be wary what you listen to / How everything you love / Will turn into one note / That echoes on everything / One note.”

The album's remarkable replayability could be due to Junior Elvis’ inventive rhythm sections (I once again point you to “Salt, Peppa, and Spinderella”). Or maybe it’s Berrow’s raw-as-they-come guitar riffs that could cut down any brick wall in their way. But once you think all these guitars do is break things, Johnny Foreigner come at you with a song like “Henning’s Favourite,” which recalls the mind-numbingly technical riffs of fellow Brits This Town Needs Guns. This song has both styles and there’s still plenty room for more, like Southern’s scathing, scene hating lyrics: “I see the girls at your shows / They wear their battles in their hair / You spend too much time indoors / Shouting “fake” at the walls.” Her voice is such a wonderful counterpoint to Berrow’s unstable yelps. Hearing them duke it out in front of the microphone sounds natural and completely necessary.

I must again declare an unexpected album as one of the year’s best. Waited Up ‘Til It Was Light shouldn’t be described as anything less than inspiring. Its creativity, frantic personality and musical proficiency get my heart beating oh-so-fast. These three Brits have an awe-inspiring level of songwriting ingenuity. They’re so good I’m out of $10 descriptive adjectives. I should have just posted a picture of Ferdinand smiling while I headbang myself into nausea on his dining room table.

Recommended If You Like: Los Campesinos!, Dananananakroyd, victory, The Anniversary, WIN!

I'm 9 years oldwww.myspace.com/johnnyforeigner

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
08:32 PM on 09/12/08
liar23
Yo
User Info.
good review
Quote:
Recommended If You Like: Los Campesinos!

even better reason to check them out
10:26 PM on 09/12/08
katekate
User Info.
awesome song and video
01:15 AM on 09/13/08
DI Pistola
tune in Tokyo
User Info.
What the hell?
02:04 AM on 09/13/08
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
I checked this out because it was your avatar, and I wound up loving it and buying it. So thank you.
03:08 AM on 09/13/08
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
I don't know if I like this or not.
Not my type of music or vocals but I have this feeling that I can't explain. I'll need to listen to more of this and then give a verdict.
03:42 AM on 09/13/08
Raiden
Not the albino wussy
User Info.
I love the video and song. Def going to be checking this out.
04:06 AM on 09/13/08
Eadonj
User Info.
Blake thanks for spreading the word of some of these great british bands. Blakfish & Johnny Foreigner are quality examples of a thriving british scene at the moment. If you could check out a band called Tellison and write a review of their album Contact! Contact! that would be great.
08:17 AM on 09/13/08
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Great review Blake! I just watched the video and I loved the song, I will have to check this out.
08:38 AM on 09/13/08
MrJames
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Blake thanks for spreading the word of some of these great british bands. Blakfish & Johnny Foreigner are quality examples of a thriving british scene at the moment. If you could check out a band called Tellison and write a review of their album Contact! Contact! that would be great.

Great work with the recommendations, exactly what I was going to say. Although I would also add Tubelord and Cut the Blue Wire into the mix, outstanding bands. The Tellison album is one of the best of the last few years, and the Blakfish ep See You in Another City is also fantastic.

EDIT: Also I'll add Rig Up Explosive into the mix, great band, good dudes.
09:31 AM on 09/13/08
captainamazing4
@team_newton
User Info.
great review i love this guy :]
09:48 AM on 09/13/08
mushroom
I Knew Alfred J Prufrock
User Info.
Its not often you see a proper british band getting reviewed on this site, its usually the kooks or other indie wank. I promise that we as a nation do have some good bands.
11:51 AM on 09/13/08
josh8282
I feel so L.M.N.O.P.
User Info.
Good review, I agree with the score too which doesn't normally happen.
01:07 PM on 09/13/08
User Info.
Excellent review. I agree with everything said.

Check this band out people!
01:45 PM on 09/13/08
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
very well written review, I remember seeing this bands name somewhere, but figured it was a foreigner cover band..haha...nonetheless this review is making me check them out and thoroughly enjoy.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos