AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Faster Faster - Hopes and Dreams Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.39
Musicianship 7.96
Lyrics 7.64
Production 8.36
Creativity 7.82
Lasting Value 7.71
Reviewer Tilt 8.29
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

Faster Faster - Hopes and Dreams

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (09/13/08)
Faster FasterHopes and Dreams
Record Label: Lobster/Oort Records
Release Date: June 24, 2008

The pop punk quintet, Faster Faster whole-heartedly believe that if more people knew about their music, then it would jumpstart their Lobster/Oort Records release, Hopes and Dreams. The band is scheduled to take on a huge tour in the coming months, and they have opened on past tours for the likes of Mayday Parade and Farewell.

Kyle (lead vocals), Randall (guitar/backup vocals), Christian (guitar), Joey (bass), and Steuart (drums) have the high velocity whipping of Sing It Loud, the power chord flusters of the Plain White T’s, and the ska-fringed tooling relatable to Pepper. The band’s tempestuous currents display electrifying lifts and earthquaking gang vocals that wind-down to relaxing calms embedding sheltered nooks along the drum fills. The band shows the energy levels of many new bands like Fireworks and We Still Have Paris, so what makes Faster Faster any more special?

You’ll find it half way through their album, Hopes and Dreams with the slinky jazz rock etchings combing through “They Call It Lust, We Call It A Good Time.” It is not as romantic as Simon Le Bon’s image in Duran Duran’s song “Save a Prayer’ when Le Bon echoes this sentiment with “Some people call it a one-night stand but we can call it paradise,” though the same entangled web of emotions and melodic intricacies involved are there. Faster Faster are supremely skilled at comfortably changing their coordinates from a street jazz rock strut to savvy reggae-tinged grooves or mega-phoned pop punk bashing. Songs like “They Call It Lust, We Call It A Good Time” have many elements in them all strung together and all of it is satisfying.

The slow, frothy acoustic crawls lining “Matchsticks don’t Make Men” are inundated with waves of punk rock-infested thrashing reminiscent of My Chemical Romance. The spine-tingling wavelets made by the guitar chords infuse high voltage friction moving rampantly and indenting the track with points that soar with an uncontrollable hunger. The melodically phrased highs and lows of “Fairytales and Lullabies” have a catchy fluidity building up and clearing out through the intervals as the lyrics give fans a sense of the band’s emo-doused voicing, “I’m no Prince Charming but for the sake of conversation, let’s pretend / I found your slipper and we’ll stay out past midnight / I’m down with taking risks / Let your hair down ‘cause I’m on my way up to see you / Even though my shining armor is a bit faded.”

The roots rock pitch of the guitar chords undercoating “A Moment in the Sheets” shows another side of Faster Faster. Their cascades of raging spins and soft billowing beats along “From My TV Screen to Your Bedroom” produce catchy bumps in the melodic flow. The band does delve in the realm of power rock ballads with the creamy textures of “Forever” and “These are the Days.” The latter track etches cracks of rattling guitar vibrations that bode really well with the gentle rhythmic swells.
Although if pop punk is more your style, Faster Faster delivers it with the rippling urgency moving through “I’m Drawn To You Sweetheart” and “Girl Named Gasoline,” or if ska-chipped sways are what you’re looking for, the band provides that with “Backstabbing Never Seemed So Friendly.”

Faster Faster try really hard to fit their music in the pop punk format, but when the band touches on other vibes and chord textures, they make their music sound massively attractive. Faster Faster may want to be like the other guys, but when they aren’t, they really sound amazing.

Recommended if you like: Sing It Loud, Pepper, My Chemical Romance, Plain White T’s

www.myspace.com/gofasterfaster

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22.
02:17 PM on 09/13/08
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Loving the dual vocals and and pretty much everything about this album.

Great release.

"She's my Monday aphrodite and I'm wanting more than her body!"

So sweet.
04:18 PM on 09/13/08
jimjam32
www.myspace.com/withhonorsmusic
User Info.
never heard of them but am probably going to check them out now
10:32 PM on 09/13/08
goodnewsgeorge
User Info.
IMO they sound like just surrender vs. mayday parade
really fun pop punk music with dual vocals going on, everyone should check this band out!

backstabbing is one of the catchiest songs ever (think there's no I in team, but not so intense :P)
02:56 PM on 09/14/08
Mochem
User Info.
Not too shabby.
I really wish the autotune wasn't so noticeable, or that they were better singers and didn't need it (in the songs where it's not supposed to be noticeable).
09:53 PM on 09/14/08
jtsnazzy
Kay
User Info.
Really enjoying this band, great review. I actually like the backup vocalist better than the lead.
09:35 AM on 09/16/08
Sikes_Kid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not too shabby.
I really wish the autotune wasn't so noticeable, or that they were better singers and didn't need it (in the songs where it's not supposed to be noticeable).

Please see them live. They are great vocalist, plus they put on a great show.
08:25 AM on 09/17/08
roy g biv
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i love these guys! i think the lead and backup singers work well together and the music is obviously well thought out.
08:25 AM on 09/25/08
Interpolism
User Info.
good stuff
10:01 AM on 09/25/08
goodnewsgeorge
User Info.
Not too shabby.

auto tune? on which tracks do you hear it?
or maybe you're confused cos they have one black dude as a singer lol
12:28 PM on 09/25/08
Mochem
User Info.
auto tune? on which tracks do you hear it?
or maybe you're confused cos they have one black dude as a singer lol
Pretty much every song on the album. I'm not talking like T-Pain auto tune (although that is used on at least one song if I remember right), but pitch correction. If they don't hit the notes perfectly then they use a program to correct it, or to help a long note sound better and stay the same not the entire time.

It's not super noticeable though, unless you know what to listen for.
12:30 PM on 09/25/08
Mochem
User Info.
Please see them live. They are great vocalist, plus they put on a great show.
Oh I'm sure they can sing. I mean, I don't see why they'd have a record deal if they couldn't sing at all, and I'd love to see them live. Just by listening to the songs I can tell the shows are probably good.
06:54 PM on 10/25/08
ashley<33
that girl<3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Loving the dual vocals and and pretty much everything about this album.

Great release.

"She's my Monday aphrodite and I'm wanting more than her body!"

So sweet.
Actually it's "She's my modern day Aphrodite and I'm wanting more than her body " But anyways. I love them, they are local. I swear they are going to get big. :]
11:54 PM on 10/25/08
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Actually it's "She's my modern day Aphrodite and I'm wanting more than her body " But anyways. I love them, they are local. I swear they are going to get big. :]

You positive!? Haha jk. Thanks for correcting me.
05:00 AM on 10/26/08
ashley<33
that girl<3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You positive!? Haha jk. Thanks for correcting me.
Hahaha yeahh the cd booklet doesn't lie. It's hard to understand Kyle sometimes. :]
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests