AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Monsters Are Waiting - Ones and Zeroes Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.75
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6
Production 7.75
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 6.25
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Average: 64%

Monsters Are Waiting - Ones and Zeroes

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (09/15/08)
Monsters are WaitingOnes and Zeroes
Record Label: Kanine Records
Release Date: October 14, 2008

Monsters are Waiting have returned with a new CD, Ones and Zeroes, and minus two band members since their 2006 debut record, Fascination. The duo of singer/keyboardist Annalee Fery and bassist/guitarist Andrew Clark have continued along the glistening synth-rock trail that Monsters are Waiting began paving in 2006. The duo’s latest 6-track EP, Ones and Zeroes has a cosmic rock timbre relatable to Goldfrapp with delicately latticed suspensions and glazy serengeti’s liken to stellastarr* crenellated by crystal-like archways comparable to Shiny Toy Guns. The duo’s synth-textured follicles can be interpreted as pop-puff-fluff, but it’s a pop fluff that can withstand the trends and changes that rock music undergoes over time.

The sinuous electro slides that furl and pulsate provocatively along the title track are inflamed by synth-capped mounds, and the glossy sonic fillings of “It’s Endless” and “Don’t Lie” are beautifully piked with jangly flounces that resonate with an Icelandic intonation. The glistening pin-cushioned floatations and synth cables lining the ballad “Steal the Sun” create an enchanting sonic escape, and the upbeat tempo and shimmery glaciers twinkling along “Crazy Love” and the band’s cover of the Stone Roses song “I Wanna Be Adored” have a soft texture and natural fluidity that engages the listener’s senses.

Monsters are Waiting strike another goal with Ones and Zeroes. Even with two members less, they still got it. Their 6-track EP is a glistening marina of electro currents, sparkling tones and cosmic waves, which produce delicate chimes, elevated spheres and warm-toned passages kiln in synth-like kerosene. Once you hear Monsters are Waiting’s music, you never forget their brand of bliss.

Recommended if you like: Shiny Toy Guns, Goldfrapp, Dark Disco Club, stellastarr*

www.myspace.com/monsterarewaiting

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
04:01 PM on 09/15/08
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
User Info.
I'm really digging this. Good review.

Sidenote: might want to add an 's' to the url in the word monsters. :)
05:39 AM on 09/29/08
Mark85
User Info.
They are a hit and miss band for me.

Some days I put them on and I can listen to Fascination from start to finish. Other times I get halfway through the first couple of tracks and toss it aside for something new.

I do think there is prmoise there though so I will give Ones and Zeroes a listen when it comes out. Hopefully the transformation in the band's set up will allow for a more unique sound.
12:38 PM on 09/24/11
oldwirehands
pherm
User Info.
Just discovered this band. Loving Fascination, but yet to hear this one.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS