Username
Password

Album Review - Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 74 of 74.
09:17 PM on 09/22/08
gcwhocares
pAt1eNc3
User Info.
Very nice review. I sensed almost the same about this new album. I was waiting for it impatiently, and it really didnt dissapoint a bit.

I loved how they went back to their original line-up, and how the tracks flow and the vocals just mix together perfectly, but what I love the most about this album it's the musical progression in it, it's more experimental and creative and less "lets just put whatever sounds weird and crazy and mix it with vocals".
02:18 PM on 09/23/08
fishingthe_sky
armadillohotel.blogspot.c om
User Info.
From what I can remember, the production did seem a bit lacking. I also felt like "The Heraldic Beak..." had one verse too many.
I was listening to this today and I agree. The last verse is pretty useless to the song as a whole.
10:50 AM on 09/24/08
Chuck!
Lost Forever // Lost Together
User Info.
can't get into this album at all.
04:55 AM on 09/25/08
Theher3tic
We do this to ourselves.
User Info.
For me its actually, Tiger<Ocean<Lover. I thought lover was incredible. I put it on all the time when i went on vacation with my friends family and came out of it everybody singing songs from it. I had the 12 year old kid that just a month ago found out about Girlfriend by avril singing skullflower. My first listening experience was unforgettable. Ocean was very good, for some reason the second half does lag a bit, but great overall.
07:54 AM on 09/25/08
TimT
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is pretty much what i thought Lover was going to be. The instrumentation is brilliant.
11:44 PM on 09/25/08
ultragabe
User Info.
this album is fantastic. Chris Tsagakis? God on drums (ex. Cellophane).

this cd is excellent for pot smokers. all the layers come alive.
07:01 PM on 09/26/08
TheSkunk
User Info.
fuck how did i miss this review lol ive been waiting forever to post.
this album is so technically solid. i love cellophane and i the swan.
10:59 AM on 10/01/08
Radb707
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Okay i really have little clue as to how some of you can enjoy this album so much and give it 10s and shit, when you can't even hear the damn vocals in half the songs.

It's not like you can turn it up either, because the instrumentation just overloads your ears and you can't catch the vocals anyway.

I'd enjoy the album ALOT more if they released a remixed version somewhere down the line with a better mix.
12:01 PM on 10/08/08
TheSkunk
User Info.
ok I finally rated it after 2 weeks or so of replaying. Its a very good album. Uzbek and wet snow have some good parts but I dont see the listening value in them. Also, wet snow doesnt really fit with the album but its a nice soft listen. The rest of the songs are quite solid. I think the reviewers score is fair, 85% seems about right!
09:12 PM on 02/19/09
buzzhannahbuzz
So I destroyed a monument, so what?
User Info.
*two thumbs up*
You write amazing reviews, and I couldn't agree with you more about this album.
02:29 PM on 01/26/10
doxa_lu
protosteamcybercrust
User Info.
I am always dumbfounded when people say that Lover's was a good album. It wasn't at all. It was closer to an playlist shuffle of interludes. I personally don't like Craig Owens which was it's first failure but I don't blame him entirely cause the production on that particular album was seriously off. Especially so on Horses In the Sky...the instruments sounded so poorly mixed, yet the vocals were clear as day. TSOAF justed failed miserably with that album. It's sad most of the kids I meet that actually liked that album are potheads which makes sense now because of all the"you should listen to it high" comments I see everywhere. I tried letting that particular album grow on me, it doesn't. Skullflower and Phantom are the only songs I thought were good but not vain of TSOAF. If you think otherwise we're clearly not listening to the same band. Ocean and the Sun is clearly what I wanted after Chasing Suns.
06:04 PM on 02/01/10
the_topher
User Info.
I am always dumbfounded when people say that Lover's was a good album. It wasn't at all. It was closer to an playlist shuffle of interludes. I personally don't like Craig Owens which was it's first failure but I don't blame him entirely cause the production on that particular album was seriously off. Especially so on Horses In the Sky...the instruments sounded so poorly mixed, yet the vocals were clear as day. TSOAF justed failed miserably with that album. It's sad most of the kids I meet that actually liked that album are potheads which makes sense now because of all the"you should listen to it high" comments I see everywhere. I tried letting that particular album grow on me, it doesn't. Skullflower and Phantom are the only songs I thought were good but not vain of TSOAF. If you think otherwise we're clearly not listening to the same band. Ocean and the Sun is clearly what I wanted after Chasing Suns.
ouch. that just stings. Yeah, the album's not for everybody, but that doesn't mean that everyone who likes it is a potheads. I surely ain't, and I love this album
10:30 PM on 09/06/11
blessphemy
User Info.
possible AOTD for me at least, i really dont know what it is about it...
05:41 PM on 11/09/11
Gfunk1221
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
possible AOTD for me at least, i really dont know what it is about it...
gonna have to agree with you on that one.

looking at this review and the thread years after, and deeming this probably one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time, I wish for everyone to give this a second chance. And while doing so keep in mind so many things, keep in mind the magnitude of matt embrees musicianship, keep in mind the writing process that months and months of fine tuning were put into each part and every decision, every hit, and every level had a reason to be the way it did. i listened to this album before i got into RX Bandits and before i was a huge fan of Circa. but after going through phases of both those bands and seeing what they were both about made this album so much more epic for me. and the way it is mixed is perfect. embree did that as well, he spent a shit load of time mixing it and i must say he did a perfect job for an experimental prog rock album such as this one. the drums are mixed to perfection, and some people are complaining about the instrumentation being too high but thats the point. thats the way he wanted it. vocals don't always have to be the main attraction. just such an amazing album. some of the best, unique musicianship of my age in rock music to say the least.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums