Username
Password
The New Amsterdams News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
New Amsterdams
Inside AP.net

Matt Pryor Interview

Posted by: Adrian Villagomez (09/22/08)
One of our members recently sat down with singer/songwriter Matt Pryor.
From the InterviewFor a while in his career, Pryor was frustrated with some of his favorite tunes versus fan favorites. “We wrote ‘Don’t Hate Me’ in an hour, and I can’t figure out why people get into it,” he laughs. “A lot of times the songs that I hate are the ones that a lot of people like, and the ones that I like, people are like, ‘heh.’ If I think of it from a fan’s perspective, then I know they want to hear some older stuff. I’ll play new things, but I’m not going to force feed [newer songs].”

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
01:38 PM on 09/22/08
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
I don't read many interviews, but I took time out to read this one.
01:43 PM on 09/22/08
berskyjr
Leave my fucking grammar alone.
User Info.
Great guy. I can't believe i let my friend make me miss his tour with Conely.
01:44 PM on 09/22/08
exthuse
punknews is stoked
User Info.
Matt Pryor is a god. Never has his musical endeavours let me (and I'm sure I speak for many) down.

"Pryor is referring to the backlash of critical distaste for The Get Up Kids’ On a Wire and Conley’s band’s release In Reverie. He says that both he and Conley get asked to play songs off both records, but it sometimes seems bitter sweet. “It’s like ‘thanks, could have used the praise earlier.’”
01:48 PM on 09/22/08
emo_boo
User Info.
good read, thanks
01:55 PM on 09/22/08
Throwback
The Swordsman
User Info.
Good interview. Seems like such a genuinely good guy.
02:13 PM on 09/22/08
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
He always seems down to earth in all his interviews. It sucks reading/watching interviews with people you look up to and they turn out to be total dicks. I know I'll never have that problem with Matt Pryor.
02:21 PM on 09/22/08
PlacesToGo
User Info.
I don't read many interviews, but I took time out to read this one.

thanks for the update
02:28 PM on 09/22/08
CaryGrant
The Romantic Egoist
User Info.
Meanwhile, Jim Suptic getting mostly ignored. Good interview, though!
02:28 PM on 09/22/08
RiskyXBandit
hakuna matata
User Info.
"Pryor is referring to the backlash of critical distaste for The Get Up Kids’ On a Wire and Conley’s band’s release In Reverie. He says that both he and Conley get asked to play songs off both records, but it sometimes seems bitter sweet. “It’s like ‘thanks, could have used the praise earlier.’”

i loved that piece of the article as well.

seriously, i loved on a wire when it came out. and i still do. i think the only reason i love the album so much was because i bought it at downtown disney in FL the day it was released. i was vacationing with my family. c'mon.. Virgin Mega Store, FL (i'm from philly), vacation with family to disney world when it's not fun anymore. Get up kids made that trip a zillion times better. just walking around the hotel area listening to on a wire made me at ease with life.
02:45 PM on 09/22/08
atticusfinch
Faith In More Than Steel
User Info.

seriously, i loved on a wire when it came out. and i still do. i think the only reason i love the album so much was because i bought it at downtown disney in FL the day it was released. i was vacationing with my family. c'mon.. Virgin Mega Store, FL (i'm from philly), vacation with family to disney world when it's not fun anymore. Get up kids made that trip a zillion times better. just walking around the hotel area listening to on a wire made me at ease with life.

Ha, that Virgin store is freaking huge.

Good interview. Always cool to see what's on Matt Pryor's mind.
02:47 PM on 09/22/08
CaryGrant
The Romantic Egoist
User Info.

...wow, the first time I ever heard "Something to Write Home About" was while I was on vacation at Disney World.
02:53 PM on 09/22/08
sevens
Forever is a long long time.
User Info.
Four Minute Mile - one of my top ten records all time.
02:57 PM on 09/22/08
AbeLurkin
this site lowered my GPA
User Info.
this was great. so much respect for matt.
03:00 PM on 09/22/08
RiskyXBandit
hakuna matata
User Info.
...wow, the first time I ever heard "Something to Write Home About" was while I was on vacation at Disney World.

don't you love buying cds on vacation? haha

i bought the Rx Bandits - The Resignation while vacationing in California with my family. We were driving up the coast towards San Fran and i made my dad stop at a Best Buy during the drive so i could buy it the day it came out. Man i miss those days.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests