Password

Album Review

Faster Faster - Hopes and Dreams Album Cover

Faster Faster - Hopes and Dreams

Reviewed by
Faster Faster - Hopes and Dreams
Record Label: OORT Records
Release Date: June 24, 2008
This review was hard to write, simply because I could not find the words to explain how amazing this band and album is. Ever since first hearing it, I have not stopped listening. I feel that my life is somehow more complete having heard this album. One of the major things I love most about Faster Faster is the lyrics. They just leave me in awe.

Hopes And Dreams kicks off with the piano-leading “I’m Drawn To You Sweetheart”. Part way through the song, the tempo kicks it up a notch, ridding itself of the piano, and replacing it with guitars, bass, and drums. The chorus is a big part of this song; the love song lyrics make it an instant sing-along favorite.

There is one very good word to describe “Backstabbing Never Seemed So Friendly”: different. The song is a conversation between two friends who have their hearts broken by the same girl. I had to listen to it two or three times to fully understand what was going on, but once I figured it out, it became a favorite.

Next, Faster Faster kept me on my toes with “They Call It Lust, We Call It A Good Time”. When I heard this song, my gut was busted by the drum solos, and my face was melted by the guitar solo. The drums and guitars aren’t the only thing this song has going for it either; it also has catchy lyrics such as “She’s like Russian roulette with a fully loaded gun” which always catch my attention.

“From My TV Screen To Your Bedroom” has some of the most clever lyrics in the album. With words such as “She’s my Monday Aphrodite / And I’m wanting more than her body” in the first verse. Then, here comes the sing-along with the chorus, which goes “No no never gonna get her / Oh no what’s the use of trying / Because we’re not getting closer at all / Just for tonight / Let me be the boy you sing about / But you don’t know my name”. I was surprised again right after this with a mini guitar solo in between the chorus and second verse that just made me smile.

The last three songs of the album are my favorites. “Forever…” is the sad, depressing first song of a two-part story. However, sad and depressing though it may be, it really shows the depth of the band. It makes me realize that it’s not all just fun and games, but that Faster Faster has a deeper, more serious side as well.

Part two of the story is “…And Always” (my personal favorite). It’s the happier side of the story. To me, the chorus makes this song what it is, with probably some of the most amazing lyrics I’ve ever heard. The chorus is the best, which goes “We remember the good days / Forever and always / We were so young / But not innocent / We couldn’t wait to grow up / We would live / For the radio / Make up words to the songs we didn’t know / But we didn’t care / We couldn’t wait to grow up / We couldn’t wait to fall in love”. This song just makes me grin ear to ear.

Finally, Hopes And Dreams closes out with “These Are The Days”, a partially slow, partially acoustic song that just hits me with the bittersweet truth: that we have to live every second to the fullest. The song closes out “These are the best days of our lives / These are the days / These are the days” repeated countless times for a full minute. It’s just a beautiful song.

Faster Faster is probably the best new band I’ve heard in a very long time. Just as their debut album, Hopes And Dreams, is probably the best debut album, or any album for that matter, I’ve heard in a very long time. All I know is that I will be going Faster Faster on many of my future car rides.

Recommended if You Likepop punk, sing-along music

myspace.com/gofasterfaster
This review is a user submitted review from RelientMayday. You can see all of RelientMayday's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
04:04 PM on 10/08/08
Mochem
User Info.
I don't agree with a lot of the 9+ ratings you gave it. Especially the vocals considering their dependence on pitch correction software (as I mentioned in the other Faster Faster review I think). It's really noticeable to me.

That being said, I do think the album is great. "I'm Drawn To You Sweetheart" is one of my favorite songs at the moment.

But good review nonetheless.
04:06 PM on 10/08/08
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I want the album.
12:08 PM on 10/14/08
glenwes
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Stoked to see these guys get some exposure. Backstabbing Never Seemed So Friendly is such a unique song with two singers talking back and forth about a guy who had been with his best friend's girlfriend in high school. This song just blows me away. Then, Fairytales and Lullabies is as good of a love song out there.....basically I can't describe this album's epicness, so pick it up and prove me wrong
03:05 PM on 01/23/12
solidgoldturner
User Info.
The guys from Faster Faster along with some old friends have formed a new band that will blow you out of the water! Come check us out!

www.solidgoldthundermusic.com

Also, to the person that wrote this review, would you consider writing a review for our new music? It would be greatly appreciated if you would, e-mail me if you're interested!

Jet Turner
shadybradyturner@gmail.com

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests