Password

Album Review

One for the Team - Build It Up Album Cover

One for the Team - Build It Up

Reviewed by
One for the Team - Build It Up
Record Label: The Militia Group
Release Date: August 19, 2008
This has been a fine year for indie rock music. What with the release of Death Cab for Cutie’s Narrow Stairs, among others. One of those others that may slip past the radar is the Militia Group debut of Minneapolis’ very own One For The Team. Fronted by Afternoon Records founder Ian Anderson, One For The Team brings their own brand of cheery and bright indie rock to the world on Build It Up.

This Minneapolis crew excels at crafting quality tunes. The vocal duo of Ian Anderson and Grace Fiddler (who at times is somewhat reminiscent of the Dupree sisters) is pleasant and easy on the ears. Music-wise, you’ll find there isn’t much that separates them from any other indie rock outfit that is out there. Lyrically, there is much here worth giving them credit for. While they do tend to be straightforward, there is a good balance of straightforward and creatively intelligent lyrics, such as on “Best Supporting Actor” (one of the highlight tracks from the album, if not the best).

One For the Team is very good at what they do. My only problem with Build It Up is that after the first 5 tracks, or so, I get bored with it, as there is not much variety within their sound. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, however, as most bands tend to move on from that by the time they record their second album. I see a very bright future for One For The Team.

Standout Tracks"Apples"; "Best Supporting Actor"; "Dress Up Party"; "Questions and Panthers"; "Deconstruction Site"

Recommended if You LikeDeath Cab for Cutie; Eisley; a lot more indie bands that I’m sure I’ve never heard of

myspace.com/onefortheteam
This review is a user submitted review from Jamos4184. You can see all of Jamos4184's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
03:28 AM on 10/11/08
birtcho
is...
User Info.
ive been meaning to pick this up
08:28 AM on 10/11/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Much more indiepop then indierock, but good review none the less.
12:33 PM on 10/11/08
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
People say labels aren't selling records anymore but are now selling singles. Personally i love the varitey of bands on the militia group and are probably my favorite label. Come on they have: Chase Pagan, Everybody Else, The New Frontiers, Tahiti 80 and now One For The Team. Talking about this record it is extremely poppy but is good nonetheless. Personally i love the song "Hey Kid" don't know why in every review I've seen for this album it is never mentioned but its a quality song. After their next record I think this band could go mainstream.
02:41 PM on 10/11/08
jkaminallen
sexomatic robot
User Info.
Much, much better than a 70%.
09:02 PM on 10/11/08
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
Much, much better than a 70%.

That's simply my opinion. And especially if you consider my Reviewer Tilt, 70% is a pretty good rating.
09:37 PM on 10/11/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
RIYL Mates of State if they were still in high school.
12:50 AM on 10/12/08
grimis16
User Info.
i love this cd
02:18 PM on 10/12/08
feelthepressure
User Info.
Recommended if you like: Los Campesinos!, Tilly and the Wall.

Mates of State is another good comparison, as someone else mentioned.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos