AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Anberlin - New Surrender Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%
Inside AP.net

Anberlin - New Surrender

Reviewed by: Caspel (10/05/08)
Anberlin - New Surrender
Record Label: Universal Republic
Release Date: September 30, 2008

When news broke that Anberlin signed on with Universal Republic Records in 2007, there were doubts that they could make the transition to a major label successfully. Now, a year after their signing, Anberlin has released their first album under the label and fans can finally exhale as Anberlin has delivered quality music with New Surrender.

What can one expect to come away from a playthrough with the entire album? For starters, Stephen Christian utilizes his melodic voice magnificently throughout every song. But if there’s one thing that’s apparent with New Surrender that differs from the earlier Anberlin work, it’s that it’s much more concentrated on being mature. If you’ve been with Anberlin since their debut, 2003's Blueprints for the Black Market, you’ll know that their sound has slowed down as Christian’s voice has harmoniously evolved.

Standout tracks from New Surrender include “Retrace”, “Blame Me! Blame Me!”, “Breaking”, and “Misearbile Visu (Ex Malo Bonum).” There are other tracks that do their part in providing depth to the album such as the harder riffs on “The Resistance”, the gloomy nature of “Soft Skeletons” or its antithesis, “Young Life”, that is full of wishful dreaming.

One has to question the inclusion of “Feel Good Drag” on New Surrender when it already made its appearance on the second Anberlin album, Never Take Friendship Personal. The song still sounds terrific, but it hasn’t changed drastically enough for it to warrant a spot on the album that could’ve been used for a brand new song. Even with my concerns over it being added rather than a new song, I can honestly say that it’ll find an audience who’ve never heard the track prior to its re-release.

As many Anberlin albums have done so in the past, New Surrender may meet your expectations right away – especially if you’re a huge fan of Cities – but over time, it proves it worth. The lyrics aren’t as strong as they were in Cities, but this is Anberlin we are speaking about – a band known for superb lyrics that put their fans in a state of euphoria. New Surrender is no different in any case; the lyrics find their groove after a few listens and are emotional as ever.

With all of that said, there’s a lot of hope for Anberlin’s future. New Surrender isn’t their best release, but having to follow both Never Take Friendship Personal and Cities is a hard thing to do. It has high notes, eloquent lyrics, a diverse set of tracks and excellent choruses to sing along to. Anberlin delivered an album full of class and now we can only cross our fingers that they continue creating beautiful music on a major label.

Recommended if You LikeThe Classic Crime; Copeland; Christian's work with Anchor & Braille; Mae

myspace.com/anberlin

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11.
11:25 PM on 10/10/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
i absolutely HATED retrace.
09:42 AM on 10/11/08
Caspel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
really? I guess it's a matter of preference and/or taste. What songs stood out or didn't stand out in your opinion?
12:38 PM on 10/11/08
BigWille24302
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good Review. This is the only review I have read so far that I actually agree with the rating. An 83 is perfect for this cd
10:54 PM on 10/12/08
hurd300403
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i never post on here. i love anberlin. retrace is absolutely horrible. blah.

done.
11:29 PM on 10/12/08
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
I think "Retrace" is great. You're not alone, sir.
06:25 AM on 10/13/08
Jennarator
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Excellent review as its the one i agree with the most. I love "Retrace", probably my second favorite song on the album behind "Breaking." I have a group of friends who love Retrace too, so you aren't in the minority mister.
08:59 PM on 10/13/08
BigWille24302
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
His voice is breathtaking on retrace. Its a good song, IMO. Not the best, but by no means bad
03:31 PM on 10/22/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
retrace has an atrocious bridge. the chorus is catchy and all, but it's so generic it's not even anberlin
08:22 AM on 11/04/08
BuriedAlive
We want football!
User Info.
I'm you weren't expecting Cities Part two like everyone else seems to be doing. Retrace and Breathe are catchy but they don't have last power; they tend to become trite and boring quickly. They'd make for good singles that get people into them, that's really it.

It was a well written review. Good job.
11:10 AM on 08/16/10
HBK42581
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I didn't like this album AT ALL. 'Disappear' was the only stand out track for me which is pretty crazy considering that I pretty much love their other 3 albums from front to back. What I'm hearing from the new disc sounds pretty good so far though. Maybe it will be a return to form.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests