Album Review

Joshua Lanes - The Dance Thunder EP Album Cover

Joshua Lanes - The Dance Thunder EP

Reviewed by
Joshua Lanes - The Dance Thunder EP
Record Label: Spillway Records
Release Date: July 22, 2008
Who?

Joshua Lanes is a trio out of Long Beach, California. The Dance Thunder EP is the third release by Joshua Lanes since their first release, JL Notes, in 2005.

How is it?

There is one very good word to describe this album: average. Have I heard better? Most definitely. Have I heard worse? Again, most definitely. Joshua Lanes has potential, that much is clear. However, the biggest flaw of this release is that more than half the time, the lyrics are barely audible. You can tell someone is singing, but having to press your ears up to the speakers to understand what is being said is not exactly what you want. That may be due either to poor recording quality, or the fact that singer/song writer John Anthony has the slurring capabilities of Go Radio's Jason Lancaster, combined with the higher pitched voice of Matthew Thiessen of Relient K. Either one by themselves is fine, but combine the two and suddenly you feel the need for a hearing aid. The only exception to all this is "Hot Coffee," which due to the fact that the only instrument is a lightly-played guitar in the background, enables the vocals to be heard much more clearly. Like I have said already, this band has potential. The first song on this release, "The Dance Thunder", has a catchy beat to it, but again, most of the time I cannot understand what the lyrics say. However, the practically inaudible vocals is my only complaint from this release. I must give the band some credit on being different. They are not quite like anything I have heard. Each member of the band seems to know their way around their respective instruments. They were definitely worth the listen, simply so I can keep a lookout for a release in which I'm not constantly asking "What did he just say?" But until that time comes, I will be frequently pushing the skip button.

Track Listing01. Dance Thunder
02. Hot Coffee
03. Theft on the Floor
04. Slaved and Tame
05. I Love Your Love

myspace.com/joshualanes
This review is a user submitted review from RelientMayday. You can see all of RelientMayday's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version