AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Crime in Stereo - Selective Wreckage Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 8.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 77%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.88
Musicianship 7.06
Lyrics 7.31
Production 6.81
Creativity 7.06
Lasting Value 6.44
Reviewer Tilt 7.06
Average: 69%
Inside AP.net

Crime in Stereo - Selective Wreckage

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (10/07/08)
Crime In StereoSelective Wreckage
Record Label: Bridge 9 Records
Release Date: September 30, 2008

Being that the last two books I’ve read have been memoirs - this seemingly impossible feat only took me 12 years - it seems fitting to review Selective Wreckage. A band such as Crime In Stereo has never found it logical to stick with a single sound. Their penchant for mixing, matching and mastering makes a B-sides/not-rarities-anymore compilation all the more thrilling. We get to see where the band has been, and we don’t even have to read anything! Oh, but we do. Don't let Kristian Hallbert’s gruffy vocals mask the wordy wizardry. Take “Takbir” for example: “I am the twenty-two year war of the third Infintada / I am the faithful, the grateful suicide bomber / A daily hajj to a dead end job.” I admit the subject material isn’t exactly novel – we all hate our jobs. I wear a sandwich board and, ironically, hock sub sandwiches – but this metaphor is powerful and confusing. (It uses another language!) I refuse to look up the meanings to these strange words, but I’m still going to use them frequently. Clearly, Selective Wreckage is already a winner.

Perhaps most interesting to long-term fans will be the three songs originally intended for the “mythical” Capital split EP. Other than “Takbir”, we have a melodic barnburner in “The Bride” and a grungy little bit of chaos by the name of “Four X’s.” If you jack it to The Troubled Stateside each night, and why wouldn’t you, these songs are must haves. Beginning with a bloodcurdling scream is “These People Ought To Know Who We Are And That We Are Here.” Originally intended for Is Dead, its schizophrenic, creepy atmosphere is only intensified by Hallbert’s agitated screams: “No, I am not dead / But I often wish I was / There is no relief / No retreat from this heavy shepherd’s crown.” His maniacal laugh will have you looking over your shoulder. Then you’ll cry to the Gods: “Why, Gods? Why wasn’t this included on Is Dead???” Finally, you’ll eat an Oreo to regain strength.

“Love” was conceived way back in 2005 and its simplicity barely hints at what was to come. Hallbert is less abrasive, but still coy as ever if the title is any indication. Still, I’ve been spoiled by the band’s present incarnation; B stands for boring. Most intriguing, however, is “Let Me Take You Out.” Remember, though, that statement is being made by me. I revel in heartbreak. The song’s spacey textures, agonizing screams and boop-de-boop electronics make it endlessly intriguing. Dastardly television producers, comic book writers and prude girlfriends call this a cliffhanger. "Let Me Take You Out" hints at an exciting future. No immediate punk rock influences can be heard in this track. Hell, there aren’t even any drums. But here's a band in a genre that tends to swallow creativity, and they’re somehow finding new solutions to musical cliches. The light of invention may be shining bright on these guys, but I’d bring a flashlight if I were you. It looks like the road ahead will be dark.

Recommended If You Like: It's a compilation record, so what the f**k do you want me to put here? CinS being driven around by the old dude in Back to the Future?

Underground Locationswww.myspace.com/crimeinstereo

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
12:54 AM on 10/07/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Man, how do you come up with this stuff? I wish I could play Being Blake Solomon for a day and step inside your mind's eye.
05:40 AM on 10/07/08
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
great review, might check this album out. Is Dead is one of my favourite albums of the last year or so
06:55 AM on 10/07/08
rckstr29
User Info.
Do you actually wear a sandwich board for a living?
07:01 AM on 10/07/08
ddb43
User Info.
Nice review. I didn't really care for Is Dead like I did for The Troubled State Side. I need to pick this up. I like what I've heard so far. I went to see them last Friday night w/ NFG, but missed them and had to stomach what NFG played as music. That was one of the worst concerts I've ever been to. Wish I would've caught CIS.
07:54 AM on 10/07/08
yourprivateeye
somewhere in the swamps of jersey.
User Info.
good review. i enjoy this release alot. its short but good background music. plus they've never put out anything less than stellar.
08:02 AM on 10/07/08
Eurotrash Drock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i say this with all due respect as i dont mean to insult, but youve definitely written better reviews. still cant wait to check this out though.
08:33 AM on 10/07/08
iwasahero
molsh
User Info.
Best band.
08:55 AM on 10/07/08
eriklipson
Late Nite Wars
User Info.
currently, yes.
08:59 AM on 10/07/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i say this with all due respect as i dont mean to insult, but youve definitely written better reviews. still cant wait to check this out though.

Ok, fair enough my man. Any edits you'd like to hit me with?
09:16 AM on 10/07/08
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
I love this band so much. I loved this review, great job.
09:31 AM on 10/07/08
Eurotrash Drock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

nothing in particular, just the overall tone seemed slightly sophomoric (sorry) compared to your other reviews. keep them coming though!
09:32 AM on 10/07/08
seventy.times7
User Info.
I really enjoyed this review, love your writting style.
09:56 AM on 10/07/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
I haven't jacked it to The Troubled Stateside... yet...
10:03 AM on 10/07/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.

Yes remove the following apostrophe and you've worked toward perfection:

Originally intended for Is Dead, its schizophrenic, creepy atmosphere is only intensified by Hallbert’s agitated screams
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums