Password

Album Review

Bring Me the Horizon - Suicide Season Album Cover

Bring Me the Horizon - Suicide Season

Reviewed by
Bring Me the Horizon - Suicide Season
Record Label: Visible Noise
Release Date: September 29, 2008
Bring Me The Horizon have built up a rather large fan base over here in the UK, and have gained a fair amount of exposure for the genre they are in. I wasn't a huge fan of their first full length (Count Your Blessings) and thought they seemed to play it a bit safe. However there were a few promising moments (see "Pray For Plagues"). Having heard upcoming single "The Comedown" on the band's myspace, I was somewhat taken aback by the direction they have gone in.

Bring Me The Horizon have always been accused of jumping on the bandwagon, being a little generic and caring more about haircuts than 'hardcore.' The album kicks off with the single I have previously mentioned. This really does start the album quite well, and the band seem intent to shake off their reputation. Slipknot-esque riffs open the album and frontman Oli Sykes' scream seems to have developed to have more range. Then comes a section full of lush harmonies and heavy drums, which has you wanting to headbang along. The opener is a big 'fuck you, this is what we're made of,' and it doesn't half get your attention!

The second track of the album is my favourite (Chelsea Smile). The vocal line is catchy and shows the new style of vocals Oli Sykes is injecting into the band. In my opinion this is one of the main reasons that the albums stuck out to me. It's not just piercing highs and deep lows; there is a good amount of mid range in his voice. The track is heavy, but catchy, and sounds like it would have a room full of people moshing until they drop. I love the effect on the vocals at the start of the song, and it once again reminds me of Slipknot.

I have mentioned Slipknot twice now, and it's no secret that these boys are big fans and grew up listening to the Iowa metallers. This album is clearly influenced by them, but don't get my wrong, it's not a rip at all.

"It's Not Written In Blood" is the most melodic I've heard BMTH, and "Death Breath" is heavy as fuck. The drums on this album are fantastic and the riffs are well thought out, if a little bit generic at times.

The main criticism of this album is that BMTH don't seem to be able to go that little bit heavier, and at times it does sound like they are half-arseing it. Sometimes you wish they would throw in some thrash beats, and fast riffing. This can disappoint and I feel like a few solo's wouldn't go amiss.

"Sleep With One Eye Open" reminds me of "Vermillion Part2" slightly. However it's a nice sounding track with the gang vocals yelling 'Fuck you!' and sounding absolutely brilliant. "The Sadness Will Never End" is a very experimental song for BMTH and I don't think they quite pull it off. There are some nice touches, but for me, it lets the rest of the album down a bit.

"No Need For Introductions I've Read About You On The Back Of Toilet Doors" is the heaviest song on the album in my opinion. It starts with a jazzy piano playing, before everything kicks off. It's hard, fast and in your face. Lyrically, Oli Sykes addresses his ordeal with the law (urinating on girls?) with the line 'And after all you put me through, I should have fucking pissed on you!'

Album closer and title track "Suicide Season" is okay, but drags on a little too much to finish the album. The same riff at the start of the song goes on for 30 seconds and it's the first time you sense that Sykes has a weak scream. His voice sounds worn down by the end of the album. There are some nice melodic guitars in there, but you can't help but get a bit bored by it.

All in all, Suicide Season has impressed me. The boys from BMTH have come back and shown they aren't just a generic haircuts band. It seems a bit unfair that most people will listen to this album having already made up their mind, but that's what bands like BMTH get. This album won't be in rotation for much more than a few weeks, but there are definitely some positives in there.

Best Tracks"Chelsea Smile," "No Need for Introductions, I've Read About You on the Back of Toilet Doors," "Death Breath"

Recommended if You LikeThe Devil Wears Prada; Slipknot; I Killed the Prom Queen

myspace.com/bmth
This review is a user submitted review from dom_182. You can see all of dom_182's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
07:18 PM on 10/13/08
Young Machetes
Wasteland Explorer
User Info.
I absolutely love this album. Great, great change for the band.

The Sadness Will Never End is the best song they've written thus far.
08:33 AM on 10/14/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Definitely a step up from anything they've previously done. The score fits pretty well. I also thought "The Sadness Will Never End" is a great song though.. and how did the lyrics in "Football Season Is Over" not get a mention? haha. Terrible lyrics.

Overall, good score. I would have probably given vocals just a bit higher, but once again, just me.
09:41 AM on 10/14/08
dom_182
Reckless Abandon
User Info.
first sentence should have 'built.'
annoying! haha!
hope you enjoy my review anyway!
10:06 AM on 10/14/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
first sentence should have 'built.'
annoying! haha!
hope you enjoy my review anyway!
So edit it. haha.
01:52 PM on 10/14/08
dom_182
Reckless Abandon
User Info.

done.
12:51 PM on 10/15/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
I couldn't stand their last album or the EP, but I'll give this a chance. Good review.
01:11 PM on 10/15/08
altemose09
User Info.
haha i like how you wrote "heavy as fuck" in a review
i've only heard the comedown and they seem to be taking a more hardcore approach. the vocals reminded me of gallows.
i still have to get the whole cd though
02:05 PM on 10/15/08
muttley
Drop all your things and go outside
User Info.
i like this album. it's angry and agressive, and i think it sounds great.
02:08 PM on 10/15/08
sickofscene
User Info.
I enjoy this album a lot. The addition of the synth effects are surprisingly delightful at times and the riffs are pretty solid.
02:23 PM on 10/15/08
JJJ
highlogicclothing.com
User Info.
I'm really digging this album. I like it more than you did, but definitely a great review.
09:01 PM on 10/15/08
cymche
User Info.
I don't like this album. But I was somewhat of a fan of Count Your Blessings, and I think most people who liked their first record and the EP will despise this, though I do respect Sykes & Co. for not making cashing in and making CYB Pt. 2, I just can't stand Sykes vocals, the guitars, and the drummer seems to be withholding the skill he really has.
04:58 AM on 10/16/08
kiac11
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think if you're going to try and note the influences from the album, you'd definitely have to look into the Australian hardcore scene/bands (whatever you want to call it). IMO, more potent and noticeable than the Slipknot influence.

BMTH are probably bigger in Aus than the UK because of their tours with Parkway, Carpathian, Red Shore, etc.
04:34 PM on 10/20/08
laflava
User Info.
Yeah I would say that the Slipknot influence maybe isn't as forward as you described. I really like this album and the only problem I really have with it is the immaturity of the lyrics. I look forward to see what this band does with a few more years on them. I think will their next album their maturity may give you a little more of that heaviness that you are looking for.
12:59 PM on 10/21/08
amorning_ofsleep
Drink 23 more
User Info.
Any band that uses Slipknot influences this day and age is gonna get a listen from me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos