AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hibria - Defying the Rules Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Hibria - Defying the Rules

Reviewed by: mr chainsaw (10/11/08)
Hibria - Defying the Rules
Record Label: Magick Records
Release Date: November 28, 2005

For a genre that is just now making its way into the mainstream through the unlikely outlet of a video game, there remains lack of exposure for power metal bands in the United States. With the success of Dragonforce, one would have expected that similar bands would be introduced to the scene. Unfortunately, though, the majority of great power metal bands (both old and new) remain unseen, unheard, and unnoticed in the U.S.

Hibria hail from Brazil and on their first release, Defying the Rules, they get straight to business with a 50 minute burst of blazing guitars, incredible bass playing, furious drumming, and powerful vocals. The riffs bring to mind Judas Priest while the technical basslines and soaring vocals are reminiscent of Iron Maiden. Both mixed and produced by Piet Sielck of Iron Savior, Defying the Rules sounds like every metal album should: raw, powerful, and epic.

Though the music is amazing enough, another great strength is the depth in the lyrics as well. The band’s primary lyricist, bass player Marco Panichi, paints a world full of corruption and not only offers power metal anthems like “Millennium Quest,” but also proves to be insightful and thought-provoking (without getting sappy) with songs like “Change Your Life Line” and “Stare At Yourself.” While most power metal bands feel the need to include an unnecessary ballad, you will find no ballads on Defying the Rules.

While the album consistently never lets down, “A Kingdom to Share” is one of most musically memorable tracks. The song kicks off with an intro that includes a tap bass solo followed by a beautiful lead guitar that soars over the main riff. The song also features dual lead guitar solos. Another strong track, “Millennium Quest,” may be one of the most powerful songs on Defying the Rules and features the incredibly catchy chorus: “Millennium quest/ The gateway of fire/Who reaches first will control the times.”

The acceptance of Dragonforce into the mainstream music scene in the U.S. may seem somewhat unexpected, but it makes sense. The success of the Guitar Hero video game has reminded us of the guitar heroics that made the great bands of the 70’s and 80’s so memorable. With a mixture of classic metal influences and the contemporary power metal sound, and a follow-up album due out in 2009, Hibria are poised to take on the metal scene with all guns blazing.

Recommended if You LikeIron Maiden; Edguy; Iron Savior; Gamma Ray; Judas Priest

myspace.com/hibria

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
02:53 PM on 10/17/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Solid review, but.. your ratings are ridiculous. 9.5 on vocals? Ten on musicianship? No.
08:54 PM on 10/19/08
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
Solid review, but.. your ratings are ridiculous. 9.5 on vocals? Ten on musicianship? No.

Thank you. Did you listen to the songs on myspace? What band/singer would you choose those rating for?
09:36 AM on 10/20/08
Klatzke
User Info.
Thank you. Did you listen to the songs on myspace? What band/singer would you choose those rating for?
Yeah, i listened to it. The musicianships good and all but not exactly perfect. I didn't really care for the vocals at all. The guys have got skills, but as far as the entertainment value of it.. I don't see it. It's the same as with Dragonforce; I know they're talented but, for me, it doesn't make up for their music being boring.

I'm not saying that about these guys, just the same idea.

As for 9.5 vocals.. There are very few people I'd be willing to rank up there.
04:14 PM on 10/20/08
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
Yeah, i listened to it. The musicianships good and all but not exactly perfect. I didn't really care for the vocals at all. The guys have got skills, but as far as the entertainment value of it.. I don't see it. It's the same as with Dragonforce; I know they're talented but, for me, it doesn't make up for their music being boring.

I'm not saying that about these guys, just the same idea.

As for 9.5 vocals.. There are very few people I'd be willing to rank up there.

For me, I find Dragonforce completely boring (their first album, Valley of the Damned is pretty good, though different than what they do now). I think you have to really listen to a lot of a certain genre to be able to pick out the differences between bands in that genre.

Well, as far as metal vocalists go, the vocals on Defying the Rules are very good. I was just curious if you were thinking of your 9.5-10 vocalist in a different genre. I feel that ratings are best taken in the context of the genre or similar bands.
06:24 PM on 10/20/08
Klatzke
User Info.
For me, I find Dragonforce completely boring (their first album, Valley of the Damned is pretty good, though different than what they do now). I think you have to really listen to a lot of a certain genre to be able to pick out the differences between bands in that genre.

Well, as far as metal vocalists go, the vocals on Defying the Rules are very good. I was just curious if you were thinking of your 9.5-10 vocalist in a different genre. I feel that ratings are best taken in the context of the genre or similar bands.
That's pretty true. However, if you're just taking metal, I think that Christian Alvestam and the guy from Opeth both take this guy down. However, that also depends how far you want to take a certain genre title.
10:51 AM on 05/07/09
JTMcKrackles
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
I was very surprised to see this on ap.net, but in a good way. This album is amazing, one of the highlights of the entire power metal genre. The vocal rating is spot-on, as I've heard seldom power metal vocalists that are better. Also, the musicianship is top-notch as well. Good review.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests