Password

Album Review

James Morrison - Songs for You, Truths for Me Album Cover

James Morrison - Songs for You, Truths for Me

Reviewed by
James MorrisonSongs For You, Truths For Me
Record Label: Interscope Records
Release Date: September 30, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?

British singer-songwriter James Morrison gets bigger overseas each day. Conversely, he becomes more and more irrelevant over here. A few TV appearances for his debut album Undiscovered did little to bolster his sales, but here we are again with some blues and soul for the pop crowd. James Blunt and Daniel Powter will still sleep easily tonight, although I recommend they take a few pointers from Mr. Morrison.

How Is It?

The blues and soul Morrison aims to blast across Top-40 radio couldn’t be friendlier, and Songs for You, Truths for Me whizzes around like a ladybug. Pretty at face value, soothing and dainty, it’s pretty much what you expect. His neo-Joe Cocker posturing (“Precious Love”) and comforting ballads (“Broken Strings”, which features Nelly Furtado) are perfect mood music. And what I mean by that is, you could easily hate this disc one day and love it the next. It’s just not catchy enough to redeem the redundancy as there’s no stick-like-glue chorus like we heard on “Undiscovered.” Still, mom-jams like “The Only Night” and “Fix The World Up For You”, with their horns, pianos and Morrison’s scruffy-yet-lovable tenor, could only be hated by the Devil and possibly Jim Rome. Every now and then you’ll hear something fantastic (like the vocal Olympics on “If You Don’t Wanna Love Me”), and you’ll likely smile, but calling these moments fleeting is an understatement. It’s not quite a letdown and it’s not quite a hit: risky territory for anyone looking to make an impact.

Recommended If You Like: Joe Cocker, James Blunt, quicksand, Daniel Powter, red tape

Leave You All Alonewww.myspace.com/jamesmorrison

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
11:27 PM on 10/13/08
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
Quote:
Morrison’s scruffy-yet-lovable tenor, could only be hated by the Devil and possibly Jim Rome.

hahahaha.....
09:00 AM on 10/14/08
sometimesnj327
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
he is awesome... saw him open for john mayer... (and my parents love the cd too(?))
09:04 AM on 10/14/08
drewziph
A disgrace to the concept of family
User Info.
good album. not as good as his first though.
10:22 AM on 10/14/08
Mens
User since 2002
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
not as good as van morrison
02:03 PM on 10/14/08
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.
not as good as van morrison

or jim
03:08 PM on 10/14/08
hardluck
YO YOU'RE GETTING ON THE FREEWAY
User Info.
"mom jam" hahah. it's so true. love his voice, though.
05:41 PM on 10/14/08
Intamin
Music...is great.
User Info.
I do like it, but I feel Natalie Furtado's cameo was poorly executed--all the harmonizing between them felt baldy set up and I was just expecting more from that song.

But it's good...loved the first, though.
06:07 PM on 10/14/08
scmaley
And away we go
User Info.
My dad likes him. I can only tolerate one or two songs at a time.
08:14 PM on 10/14/08
jtsnazzy
Kay
User Info.
If it wasn't for the fact that his voice induces sexual healing, I don't think I could make it through this album.
08:21 PM on 10/15/08
Here It Goes
Registered Member
User Info.
I wouldn't use this word that often, because it sounds dorky, but I would say Jim Morrisson's voice is inimitable. I don't know anyone else that sings quite like he does, it sounds smooth and harsh at the same time, and frankly, the guy is a fantastic talent, so I don't know why he's irrelevant in the USA.
11:58 AM on 10/27/08
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Meh

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT