Username
Password

09:53 AM on 02/19/12 
User Info.
xxemo_kittyxx
meow.
Brisbane, Australia
Female - 23 Years Old
I had my first diagnosis at 17, went on antidepressants for a year, stopped for six months and went back on them after a relapse almost two years ago. Ever since I started studying in college, I've been reading a lot of publications on the treatment of depression and discuss them with my therapists. I am now taking antidepressants indefinitely as a buffer against potential relapse, as my early onset puts me at high risk of relapsing.

I am really proud of myself for being able to take care of myself this far, and go into such great lengths to make sure I'm doing better - but to be honest, I don't really feel any better. I can function a lot better compared to when my depressive symptoms were at its peak, but as grateful as I am for that, I don't believe I'm getting any happier.

It's hard because there's nobody that I can talk to about this. I've told a couple of friends, but that ended up being something I really regret because they never really end up supporting me the way I wanted them to. They don't really understand the magnitude of all the things I have to deal with - medical bills, doctor's appointments, the necessity of managing my lifestyle and making it as stress-free as possible. I guess most people still believe that depression is something that is all in your head, and it's so hard to convince them otherwise when the line between mentality and a legitimate disorder is heavily blurred.

I also take fish oil and it is helping out alot. Everyone should consider giving it a try if they haven't yet.
How does fish oil work? I heard that it helps with concentration, but I haven't heard of it as an alternative treatment to depression. I'm curious :)
10:02 AM on 02/19/12 
User Info.
Alison1488
____
Female - 26 Years Old

I am really proud of myself for being able to take care of myself this far, and go into such great lengths to make sure I'm doing better - but to be honest, I don't really feel any better. I can function a lot better compared to when my depressive symptoms were at its peak, but as grateful as I am for that, I don't believe I'm getting any happier.

It's hard because there's nobody that I can talk to about this. I've told a couple of friends, but that ended up being something I really regret because they never really end up supporting me the way I wanted them to. They don't really understand the magnitude of all the things I have to deal with - medical bills, doctor's appointments, the necessity of managing my lifestyle and making it as stress-free as possible. I guess most people still believe that depression is something that is all in your head, and it's so hard to convince them otherwise when the line between mentality and a legitimate disorder is heavily blurred.

I think I just found my soulmate in you. As cliche as it is to say, people that don't have depression don't understand how it works. Sometimes, it doesn't matter what efforts you go through to change the situation, you succumb to it. I'm not crying everyday and I can go to work and converse with people, but am I happy? Not at all. I say it's like living in a black and white world. No color.
03:41 AM on 02/20/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
Is it ok to drink alcohol while you're on sertraline? I mean, I know alcohol is a depressant as opposed to the drug being an anti-depressant, but would there be any long-term effects?
01:51 PM on 02/20/12 
User Info.
Passion Man
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Male - 22 Years Old
I had my first diagnosis at 17, went on antidepressants for a year, stopped for six months and went back on them after a relapse almost two years ago. Ever since I started studying in college, I've been reading a lot of publications on the treatment of depression and discuss them with my therapists. I am now taking antidepressants indefinitely as a buffer against potential relapse, as my early onset puts me at high risk of relapsing.

How does fish oil work? I heard that it helps with concentration, but I haven't heard of it as an alternative treatment to depression. I'm curious :)

To be honest, I'm not sure. It was just recommended by my psychiatrist. You can try it yourself, it's not a drug, that's why I was so keen in trying it. *shrugs* Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for. :/

edit: I'm not sure if it's classified as a drug or not, but I still stand by fish oil.
05:49 PM on 02/20/12 
User Info.
Alison1488
____
Female - 26 Years Old
To be honest, I'm not sure. It was just recommended by my psychiatrist. You can try it yourself, it's not a drug, that's why I was so keen in trying it. *shrugs* Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for. :/

edit: I'm not sure if it's classified as a drug or not, but I still stand by fish oil.

You actually noticed a difference from before you took fish oil to after you started taking the pills? Weird question, but any bad after tastes or anything? I just get a gross mental taste in my mind when I think "fish oil".
07:32 PM on 02/20/12 
User Info.
Starbursting
Male - 22 Years Old
Is it ok to drink alcohol while you're on sertraline? I mean, I know alcohol is a depressant as opposed to the drug being an anti-depressant, but would there be any long-term effects?

I wouldn't make it a habit.
08:54 AM on 02/21/12 
User Info.
xxemo_kittyxx
meow.
Brisbane, Australia
Female - 23 Years Old
I think I just found my soulmate in you. As cliche as it is to say, people that don't have depression don't understand how it works. Sometimes, it doesn't matter what efforts you go through to change the situation, you succumb to it. I'm not crying everyday and I can go to work and converse with people, but am I happy? Not at all. I say it's like living in a black and white world. No color.
Oh gosh, thank you for posting this, you just made things a little better :)

There's just a lot of pressure from society in general for people with depression to repress how they feel. There are many people with the same underlying causes to our so-called psychological problems and are just as distraught as we are, except they react through different means. My roommate is prone to psychosomatics. Everytime she gets "sick", there's always some kind of psychological reason triggering it, but in the end, she gets a lot more sympathy from others because her pain is considered as being more "real". That's the biggest misconception about depression - what we feel may be related to the workings of our minds, but the discomfort is never less tangible than "physical" pains. I remember having a really bad flu once, and waking up in the morning felt exactly the same as waking up during an episode. Although I've learned to deal with that and can now force my self to get up (though almost always later than I should), it is still quite hard, and harder to do when others don't appreciate how much effort you've made by getting up in the first place.

I'm not sure if it's a drug in the therapeutic sense, as it is a supplement. I'm just curious on the mechanism of it to help alleviate depressive symptoms, and the only possible conclusion that I can come up with is that it helps improve your concentration - which is something depressed people tend to lack.

Quote:
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking other products that cause drowsiness including alcohol, antihistamines (such as cetirizine, diphenhydramine), drugs for sleep or anxiety (such as alprazolam, diazepam, zolpidem), muscle relaxants, and narcotic pain relievers (such as codeine). Check the labels on all your medicines (such as allergy or cough-and-cold products) because they may contain ingredients that cause drowsiness. Ask your pharmacist about using those products safely.

Got that from RxList. Looks like alcohol is a no-go for Setraline. There are some antidepressants which do not interact with alcohol, therefore making alcohol consumption safe from a pharmacological point of view. Nevertheless, most health professionals suggest that the consumption of alcohol and other addictive substances are to be avoided for patients with depression, as they have a higher risk of developing an addiction.
09:46 AM on 02/21/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
Thank you both. It's not really a big loss to me seeing as I don't drink often currently and haven't in the time I've been taking it anyway, I was just wondering in the event. I'll probably go ask my doctor just to be sure.
03:58 PM on 02/21/12 
User Info.
Alison1488
____
Female - 26 Years Old
Oh gosh, thank you for posting this, you just made things a little better :)

There's just a lot of pressure from society in general for people with depression to repress how they feel. There are many people with the same underlying causes to our so-called psychological problems and are just as distraught as we are, except they react through different means. My roommate is prone to psychosomatics. Everytime she gets "sick", there's always some kind of psychological reason triggering it, but in the end, she gets a lot more sympathy from others because her pain is considered as being more "real". That's the biggest misconception about depression - what we feel may be related to the workings of our minds, but the discomfort is never less tangible than "physical" pains. I remember having a really bad flu once, and waking up in the morning felt exactly the same as waking up during an episode. Although I've learned to deal with that and can now force my self to get up (though almost always later than I should), it is still quite hard, and harder to do when others don't appreciate how much effort you've made by getting up in the first place.

I totally understand. I went through a month where I barely left my bed. I just could not bring myself to do it. People don't understand that. Or how you can be in a great situation and not be happy, or lose interest in everything you loved. It's a struggle everyday, and some people just think you're not trying hard enough. It's so hard when the chemicals in your brain are working against you.
04:05 PM on 02/21/12 
User Info.
Passion Man
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Male - 22 Years Old
You actually noticed a difference from before you took fish oil to after you started taking the pills? Weird question, but any bad after tastes or anything? I just get a gross mental taste in my mind when I think "fish oil".

No after tastes. "fish oil" does sound nasty now that I think about it.
07:36 AM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
NotebookMusic
www.notebooklives.com
New Jersey
Male - 20 Years Old

This..
I always thought that the way that I felt day to day was just normal. Forcing myself to face life (or trying at least,) and everything that I used to do with ease feeling like a strain.
Went to a couple of psychiatrists and practitioners for my eating situation and got diagnosed with severe depression, and sadly, anorexia. People will never fully understand when they're on the outside looking in.
12:43 PM on 03/04/12 
User Info.
Alison1488
____
Female - 26 Years Old
I'm starting counseling this week, and I was wondering what I can expect? I'm really nervous. I've shut down A LOT about the reason I'm going and I'm not so sure how easy it will be to open up to a stranger about love, sex, and just not feeling worth it. I have a 25 page form to fill out before I go. I wish it didn't come to this, but I've been convinced for 6 months that this relationship broke me and I want to feel whole again.
08:58 PM on 03/04/12 
User Info.
phil19
an Aussie in London
London, England
Male - 28 Years Old
im coming off my meds now
06:00 AM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
xxemo_kittyxx
meow.
Brisbane, Australia
Female - 23 Years Old
This..
I always thought that the way that I felt day to day was just normal. Forcing myself to face life (or trying at least,) and everything that I used to do with ease feeling like a strain.
Went to a couple of psychiatrists and practitioners for my eating situation and got diagnosed with severe depression, and sadly, anorexia. People will never fully understand when they're on the outside looking in.
It takes a while to build rapport with practitioners - I know I didn't really feel comfortable with my current therapist until the fourth session. Nobody will ever really fully understand, unless they've been there. But even with that, we all have different experiences. Cut yourself some slack and accept the fact that people don't understand, but they don't have to, sometimes they just can't. It's more important to understand your situation yourself and deal with what you know, no matter how tough it is.

When you have that susceptibility - be it childhood maltreatment, abnormal levels of serotonin, ongoing unresolved issues, whatever it is that made you depressed - you really have to appreciate every second you stay alive because staying alive is hard. If all the people you know can feel the way you do, most of them probably can't even make it. Being able to keep yourself alive is a massive, massive achievement. Celebrate it, appreciate it.

Just wanted to share that bit of positivity there, hope it helps :)
10:53 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Cereal_Killer
We suck, I know. SHUT UP!
Nu Yawk Shitty
Male - 25 Years Old
Get Drunk

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music