Username
Password
Steel Train News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Steel Train
Inside AP.net

Show Review: Steel Train, DATH and Forgive Durden

Posted by: Julia Conny (10/22/08)
I was lucky enough to attend the Baltimore date of the Steel Train, Dear and the Headlights and Forgive Durden tour. Read my show review here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31.
06:42 PM on 10/22/08
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Razia's Shadow blows In Defense of the Genre out of the water. It is one of the most creative and musically explorative ideas to be undertaken in this scene for some time. And, even though I think everything Casey touches turns to gold, this exceeds the Dear Hunter's Acts. One of the best album's to drop in 2008, no question. Thomas Dutton is a musical genius with creative ideas and balls to follow through with them.
06:55 PM on 10/22/08
OveriseFan
is not Oversized...
User Info.
"but I didn't expect singer Ian to have a set of tubes that matched the album perfectly"

Tubes? Maybe you mean pipes, or something else people use to mean "voice", but tubes is not one of them.

I wish you would have written more about Steel Train - as the two opening bands got much more written about them than the band you were actually there to see!
07:23 PM on 10/22/08
Wisher
mattvogelphoto.com
User Info.
i want to see dear and the headlights really really really badly.
07:29 PM on 10/22/08
gracky
Don't you float away.
User Info.
i was shocked when i went to this show last night that literally 20 people showed up.
i don't think a single one knew who forgive durden was.
the music was great, but i'm sure it would have been a lot more fun with a legitimate crowd.
i agree completely about the girl in forgive durden though, i noticed she kept twirling her hair and looking up at the ceiling as she sang.
07:29 PM on 10/22/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
"but I didn't expect singer Ian to have a set of tubes that matched the album perfectly"

Tubes? Maybe you mean pipes, or something else people use to mean "voice", but tubes is not one of them.

I wish you would have written more about Steel Train - as the two opening bands got much more written about them than the band you were actually there to see!

Tubes, pipes, same diff. You got that I was subbing vocals with tubes, so I guess my job is done.

And very true about Steel Train, but I already wrote a show review for them on their Mae tour.
07:35 PM on 10/22/08
OveriseFan
is not Oversized...
User Info.
Tubes, pipes, same diff. You got that I was subbing vocals with tubes, so I guess my job is done.

And very true about Steel Train, but I already wrote a show review for them on their Mae tour.

Not really. I think you should use, at least, proper slang (if you must use slang in your writing.). A synonym of a slang word, more often than not, does not convey the same meaning as the real slang word, and will leave some confused. Whether I understand is irrelevant, as it is still confusing. Tubes are never used when referring to the voice. It's not hard to edit - it's one word. Your job is not done - do it. Writers need to take criticism, especially a valid criticism like that, where there isn't much room for debate.

And, for another friendly piece of criticism: Not everyone read that review. In fact, I think most who want a review of Steel Train don't want a review of them as an opening band, but as the main act, the headliner. It's cheating the readers to only write a few sentences about the band (which don't tell anyone much of anything) that is headlining the show, when writing a short epic (with back story) about the opening bands. Just my thoughts on the review, as a whole.
07:48 PM on 10/22/08
gracky
Don't you float away.
User Info.
Not really. I think you should use, at least, proper slang (if you must use slang in your writing.). A synonym of a slang word, more often than not, does not convey the same meaning as the real slang word, and will leave some confused. Whether I understand is irrelevant, as it is still confusing. Tubes are never used when referring to the voice. It's not hard to edit - it's one word. Your job is not done - do it. Writers need to take criticism, especially a valid criticism like that, where there isn't much room for debate.

And, for another friendly piece of criticism: Not everyone read that review. In fact, I think most who want a review of Steel Train don't want a review of them as an opening band, but as the main act, the headliner. It's cheating the readers to only write a few sentences about the band (which don't tell anyone much of anything) that is headlining the show, when writing a short epic (with back story) about the opening bands. Just my thoughts on the review, as a whole.

i knew exactly what she meant by tubes. and don't lie, you did too. and that's all that's necessary when you're using slang, there's no "official slang dictionary" with rules of usage and context.
speaking of doing your job, i'm pretty sure it's not the commenter's job to critique and nitpick a review and urge them to change certain words just to make you happy. there's a reason she's a reviewer and you're not.
07:50 PM on 10/22/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.

I love criticism. But I like the word 'tube'. Writing isn't black and white. It's whatever you want it to be, especially in my blog. I can't believe you care this much about one word.

Steel Train didn't get more words because they're great live, and that's all I wanted to say. I had more to talk about for Forgive Durden and DATH. Sounds like you can make a fuss out of anything.
07:56 PM on 10/22/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
i was shocked when i went to this show last night that literally 20 people showed up.
i don't think a single one knew who forgive durden was.
the music was great, but i'm sure it would have been a lot more fun with a legitimate crowd.
i agree completely about the girl in forgive durden though, i noticed she kept twirling her hair and looking up at the ceiling as she sang.

Yeah! She was fidgeting the whole set. I'd probably be sooo awkward on stage too though. I was surprised to see the Baltimore show with a decent turnout. I've pretty much assumed that any show that isn't a Glamour Kills boys club isn't gonna have a huge turnout.
08:02 PM on 10/22/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Razia's Shadow blows In Defense of the Genre out of the water. It is one of the most creative and musically explorative ideas to be undertaken in this scene for some time. And, even though I think everything Casey touches turns to gold, this exceeds the Dear Hunter's Acts. One of the best album's to drop in 2008, no question. Thomas Dutton is a musical genius with creative ideas and balls to follow through with them.

I want to sit down with the album and listen to it piece by piece, really digest it all, ya know.

i want to see dear and the headlights really really really badly.

Sooo good. I've wanted to see them for so long - it was very satisfying to finally see those songs live.
08:12 PM on 10/22/08
babyvenomveins
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That's the biggest bag of bullshit I've ever read. 1) The girl in the band is an experienced musician, Forgive Durden sells TWO of her Cd's at their table. 2) She added SO much to their performance. Without her they would be missing a lot. I don't usually like female musicians much and I really enjoyed her as a part of their band. Her mic wasn't turned up very loud at all but when you COULD hear her, she has a stunning voice. So she twirls her hair? Who the fuck cares. That doesn't effect her musical abilities at all. I thought it was cute. The band had it down MORE than perfect. 3) How can you compare Razia's Shadow to The Dear Hunter when the singer of TDH is involved in Razia's Shadow? He is in the first clip on the site and if you look at the back of the character card it tells you that he is that character. Absolutepunk even posted that it was him on the track. So obviously, he digs it. 4) How can you judge their album when you haven't heard it and girls you haven't met? I don't know who the "sluts" are to which you are referring, but I assume that if he spent time with them that he probably knows them? I at least don't assume things about people I don't know.
08:21 PM on 10/22/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
That's the biggest bag of bullshit I've ever read. 1) The girl in the band is an experienced musician, Forgive Durden sells TWO of her Cd's at their table. 2) She added SO much to their performance. Without her they would be missing a lot. I don't usually like female musicians much and I really enjoyed her as a part of their band. Her mic wasn't turned up very loud at all but when you COULD hear her, she has a stunning voice. So she twirls her hair? Who the fuck cares. I thought it was cute. The band had it down MORE than perfect.

And I thought she was awkward. Did I say she wasn't a talented musician? No. I said I thought she was awkward, and it was distracting me.
08:31 PM on 10/22/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
I love criticism. But I like the word 'tube'. Writing isn't black and white. It's whatever you want it to be, especially in my blog. I can't believe you care this much about one word.

Steel Train didn't get more words because they're great live, and that's all I wanted to say. I had more to talk about for Forgive Durden and DATH. Sounds like you can make a fuss out of anything.

As much as i am all for love and forgiveness and etcetera, I could seriously watch you pwn all day.

This review made me extra excited for this tour. Too bad about the sluts though.
08:33 PM on 10/22/08
OveriseFan
is not Oversized...
User Info.

Your "blog"? Are you not a reviewer for this site? Isn't this a review for Absolutepunk? If this is something you're just putting up on your personal blog - fine. But I think you posted it on the front page to attract attention, and called it a "show review". I guess it's just a blog rambling though - which explains why you called out the "sluts" in your (non)-review.

I mean, that's fine, I just didn't understand all the focus on the other two. It doesn't really matter, I guess.

I wasn't trying to make a fuss - the attacks on my first critique made this escalate into a "fuss".

Happy writing, Julia.

i knew exactly what she meant by tubes. and don't lie, you did too. and that's all that's necessary when you're using slang, there's no "official slang dictionary" with rules of usage and context.
speaking of doing your job, i'm pretty sure it's not the commenter's job to critique and nitpick a review and urge them to change certain words just to make you happy. there's a reason she's a reviewer and you're not.

Well, we disagree. Tubes =/= voice. I've never heard that. Ever. And I sing in both the "rock" world and the "classical" world. "Pipes" is commonly used to refer to the vocal cords. Tubes, I have never, before this review, heard, and I don't think it works, to be honest. We can disagree on that point - I just thought I'd let her know, as a writer, to a writer. I actually do think it's the commentator's job to critique a review - because that is what a commentator does. Comments. I commented, gave my thoughts on the review, and pointed out specific examples on why I didn't like the review. I used to be a reviewer on a couple sites - and was offered to write for this site a few years back, so I think that argument (which would have been stupid anyway) does not apply here.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests