AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Serianna - Serianna EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 3
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 6
Production 7
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 53%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6
Average: 61%
Inside AP.net

Serianna - Serianna EP

Reviewed by: Klatzke (10/26/08)
Serianna - Serianna EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: 2008

Who?

A five-piece christian metalcore act from Madison, Wisconsin that released their debut EP on their own. They're not really creative, but there are few bands in their scene that are.

How is it?

Decent, but bland. They get a lot of things right, (primarily the instrumentation), but they get just as much wrong. The biggest problem with the EP is the vocalist. He sounds like he's trying way too hard to fit in with the stereotypical metalcore vocalists, and it just gets annoying. It's just about all low-register growls; he never switches it up, or even slightly alters his voice. There's no sung vocals, no chants, and eventually the frontman just begins to take his toll. The band must have realized this, as the vocalist has been replaced since the EP was released.

As I said before, they've managed to get something right as well. The musicianship displayed on this album isn't creative, but it definitely holds its own. The thundering drums, double bass, and chugging guitars create the same kind of atmosphere you can hear on just about any other metalcore release. However, there's just something about the instrumentation that keeps my attention.

Overall, it's a pretty average release. I mean, you've got the cookie-cutter structures, underdeveloped vocals, and all of the things I've mentioned before. If you're a huge metalcore fan, you may like this release. Otherwise, it's probably not worth your time.

Recommended if You LikeAugust Burns Red; Parkway Drive; The Chariot

myspace.com/seriannarocks

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
05:49 PM on 11/05/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
As stated in the review, they replaced their vocalist. And they may re-record the ep.
06:24 PM on 11/06/08
aaalex
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think that local band-wise, Serianna seems to be one of the best. Yes, the vocalist sucks, but if he's out of the band, they can improve on their already good sound. The drumming is obviously the highlight of the music, but the guitars hold their own as well in the breakdowns, as well as throughout the rest. Yes, they can be improved, but their music shows a lot of potential. I don't believe that they should re-record an EP, but make a new one, or even a full length. I know that I look forward to listening to their music in the future. From what I've heard, this is one band that can go somewhere.
05:30 PM on 11/07/08
Klatzke
User Info.
I think that local band-wise, Serianna seems to be one of the best. Yes, the vocalist sucks, but if he's out of the band, they can improve on their already good sound. The drumming is obviously the highlight of the music, but the guitars hold their own as well in the breakdowns, as well as throughout the rest. Yes, they can be improved, but their music shows a lot of potential. I don't believe that they should re-record an EP, but make a new one, or even a full length. I know that I look forward to listening to their music in the future. From what I've heard, this is one band that can go somewhere.
I have to judge it by what it is.. I can't be like.. Oh, well new vocalist, maybe I should go easy on them. As is, this is my opinion of it.
05:07 PM on 12/03/08
unearth45
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If you wanna hear talented metal core bands from WI check out Battlhero and Sleep Serapis Sleep
05:08 PM on 12/03/08
Klatzke
User Info.
If you wanna hear talented metal core bands from WI check out Battlhero and Sleep Serapis Sleep
I'm not a fan of SSS.
01:25 PM on 12/08/08
unearth45
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What about battlehero there link is myspace.com/battlehero
07:48 PM on 12/08/08
Klatzke
User Info.
What about battlehero there link is myspace.com/battlehero
Don't really like that either.
03:50 PM on 12/09/08
unearth45
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow dude is there anything you like? I'm curious as to what makes you a credible source to review peoples music so harshly. I'd say you need to quit judging bands and since you know so much about music start up your own band! What don't you like about SSS or Battlehero?.....Just wondering not that your opinion really matters i'm just pondering what you could have to say about those two bands since the only thing you found wrong with serianna was there vocalist and i think the screamers in both sss and battlehero are pretty fuckin good.
10:45 AM on 12/12/08
carachronic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so i basically go to ALL of serianna's shows and i think there one of the most amazing local bands around. my opinion is yeah their sound isnt too original, these days everything is sounding the same at some point, but i think overall the lyrics and transition and the band members are amazing. better than most bands.
10:46 AM on 12/12/08
carachronic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
oh and the vocalist* is amazing.
09:41 AM on 01/19/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Wow dude is there anything you like? I'm curious as to what makes you a credible source to review peoples music so harshly. I'd say you need to quit judging bands and since you know so much about music start up your own band! What don't you like about SSS or Battlehero?.....Just wondering not that your opinion really matters i'm just pondering what you could have to say about those two bands since the only thing you found wrong with serianna was there vocalist and i think the screamers in both sss and battlehero are pretty fuckin good.

I'll say the exact same thing I said on the wall comment you left:

"I share my opinion, and there's nothing that makes me "credible to criticize people," just as there's nothing that makes you credible to critique my writing or opinions. Sorry that I disagree, I never bashed on Sleep Serapis Sleep or Battlehero, just said that they aren't my thing."

so i basically go to ALL of serianna's shows and i think there one of the most amazing local bands around. my opinion is yeah their sound isnt too original, these days everything is sounding the same at some point, but i think overall the lyrics and transition and the band members are amazing. better than most bands.

Awesome to see you locals coming out to bash on me for my honest opinion of the album. Have fun at their shows, wasn't telling you not to.

oh and the vocalist* is amazing.

No, he's not. At least not the one present on this EP. I obviously am unable to judge the new one.
12:04 PM on 10/02/09
Atell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Try As Above So Below, their whole ep is up on myspace and there from madison. By far more unique then other metal bands in the area- myspace.com/aasbband
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums