Password

Album Review

Backseat Goodbye - Dressed Up Like Dreams Album Cover

Backseat Goodbye - Dressed Up Like Dreams

Reviewed by
Backseat Goodbye - Dressed Up Like Dreams
Record Label: None
Release Date: August 19, 2008
Chad Sugg (better known by his musical alias, Backseat Goodbye) is like a mix between The Rocket Summer and Bright Eyes, but not as profound. His simple and subtle acoustic/folk-pop is accessible and fun. While the vocals aren’t as impressive as they are with The Rocket Summer and the lyrics are nowhere near as powerful as Bright Eyes, he has a lot of potential, and I mean a lot of potential.

His strength is not necessarily in how his voice sounds, but instead in the way that he delivers the lyrics. At times he sounds similar to Jason Mraz’s fast-talking vocal style, especially in the opening track “Swallow The Sun”. The acoustic guitar is the primary instrument on the album and the chord progressions don’t differ much. As expected, the album (which is 17 tracks long) can get a little bit boring towards the end. He lacks something that sets him apart from a lot of the struggling, unsigned singer-songwriters.

The album drags on a little too long, which is its biggest weakness. I got frustrated around track 13 because it became hard not to change the song. Some of the songs bleed into each other a little bit. Sugg does his best to throw little things into each song to differentiate them, but most of them are too subtle to make much of a difference.

As a whole, the album gets a little bit boring. Its individual songs are tailor-made to be thrown onto a summer playlist to blast in the car on the way to the beach or the party sitting on a porch. However, in its entirety, the album just doesn’t seem to work. There are a few tracks that feel like filler and the album could definitely have benefited from a bit of cutting down. Hopefully the next Backseat Goodbye album will be more centered and cohesive than this one, which would bring out Sugg's potential.

Recommended if You LikeBright Eyes; The Rocket Summer; The Format; summer music; redundancy

myspace.com/backseatgoodbye
This review is a user submitted review from hockeyguitar99. You can see all of hockeyguitar99's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
01:19 PM on 11/10/08
myhearturhands
The spaceman that can't get high.
User Info.
idk it seems soooo much that he's trying to sound like conor oberst it kinda annoys me, but i'm letting this grow on me, maybe i'll like it later on

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos