Password

Album Review

Otenki - Making Sense of Static Album Cover

Otenki - Making Sense of Static

Reviewed by
Otenki - Making Sense of Static
Record Label: None
Release Date: September 30, 2008
Otenki are a five piece from Houston Texas who use electronica-influenced melodic rock to carve a niche for themselves in music. With their latest release, the Making Sense Of Static EP, they show a promising ability to employ strong instrumentation and clear production (for a band without a label) that make them a very powerful contender against their contemporaries.

Making Sense Of Static starts off with "The Ties That Bind," which may be the strongest track on the entire EP. It begins with fast drums leading into a ripping guitar riff, which powers the track until the very end. This song uses the best Otenki have to offer - banging guitars, gang vocals, and electronic drum patterns scattered throughout. This makes for a great listen as the album begins.

Something that makes Otenki sound so different is the use of electronic drum beats in the music. It allows them to stand out amongst the guitar-only music that litters their genre and opens them up to a lot of different listeners.

One of the hang-ups that listeners may find on the EP is that although every track is very strong, they kind of blend together. They trade strong monotony for musical exploration. In addition, German Hernandez’s vocals, although strong in their own right, don’t follow the path of industry standard.

Overall, Making Sense Of Static is a strong release by Otenki. It is fast, strong, and to the point. It certainly is attention-grabbing and catchy. The listener may not become as invested in a release like this because it's fast and kind of just an adrenaline rush. Making Sense of Static makes Otenki a band to watch out for in 2009. Hopefully they can make sense of where they want to go with their next release.

Recommended if You LikeThere for Tomorrow; Mayday Parade; Madina Lake

myspace.com/otenki
This review is a user submitted review from GlamourKillsUs. You can see all of GlamourKillsUs's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
03:15 AM on 11/15/08
expired_in_gore
User Info.
Three Days Grace and the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus?
Are you kidding me? For one, the authors numbers don't compliment the text. How can the Final Verdict be 62% and have you say that " Making Sense of Static makes Otenki a band to watch out for in 2009"??? I'm saying this because I feel that you didn't even really absorb this album at all. This review is bullshitted and has no credibility what so ever.
08:43 PM on 11/19/08
katelin
User Info.
I saw them in Houston, they put on a crazy show.
I also saw an acoustic set, and German's voice is magical.
08:51 PM on 11/19/08
Pebbleslh
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Im so proud of these guys! You can tell by the lyrics they have grown and have room to grow. Il ike how different German's voice is too! Quick note: WOOHOOO!!!! they hit the road with Love,She Wrote in January!
01:10 AM on 11/20/08
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
I've never heard a song from these guys. I'm so out of the loop when it comes to my local music scene. Oh well.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos