AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Bob Becker (Fearless Records) - 03.28.05

Fearless Records (Bob Becker) - 03.28.05

Interviewed by
Fearless Records (Bob Becker)  - 03.28.05I just wanted to first start off by saying thank you for taking some time out of your busy schedule and answer some questions for us.

So, what made you want to start a record label and how hard was getting it all up and running?

I did it to help out some friends band early on, I used to go to their shows and sell their records, I used to drive around to all the record stores and put records on consignment, I also used to help promote shows for the bands. It was very grass roots. I think today itís a little easier to promote bands faster, especially with the internet.

Where does the name Fearless come from?

ďFearless cam from me starting a record label without knowing what I was doing at the time and just not being afraid to jump in head first.Ē

When starting this, did you ever expect it to get to the point it is today?

No, not really it was more of a hobby when I started and now itís a full blown business

As everyone knows, At The Drive In was on Fearless. How did you guys meet them and go about getting them on the label?

I saw them at a bar with 20 other people and they blew me away so it was kind of a ďno brainerĒ.

Are you working with them to get this box set ready?

No, itís not a box set. It is an anthology with a bonus DVD and it has been kinda difficult to get both camps (mars Volta and Sparta) to agree on content but it finally done and should be a treat for At The Drive-in fans or somebody new to the band.

Do you usually find it hard to decide on a band you want to sign?

Ohhh yeah! But when I decide itís final and I stand by my decision.

You just recently signed Sotheysay. What was it about them that really stuck out to you and thought that they would be a good addition to the Fearless Family?

They definitely have some good songs. What clinched it was it that they were willing to drive all the way out here from ST. Louis just to play for me. They did a great job, they had great attitudes, and I think theyíll be an easy band to work with. I also feel theyíll be a very hardworking band.

Has there ever come a time where youíve wanted to sign a band and then wait on it and then they get picked up by someone else?

Iíve heard that happens a lot in the music industry. Itís happened many times. Sometimes for the best and sometimes I have regretted waiting.

So there are rumors that Thrice was going to sign to Fearless, is that true?

Yes we were very close to doing a deal and thing kinda went south. I still am a big fan of the band and Iím happy for their success.

What are some big releases coming in the next few months for Fearless?

Gatsbys American Dream, At The Drive-in Anthology, Punk Goes 80ís, Sugarcult, Rock Kills Kid, Bigwig (Finally!), Yesterdays Rising, So They Say.

Do you have any suggestions to the readers out there that might want to start a label?

Save your money! (just kidding) If youíre going to start a label Ė do it for the right reasons. Mainly, for the love of the music. Realize that you may not make money for awhile and itíll be very hard work but if you love the music it will be enjoyable and worth it.

Boxers or Briefs?

Freeballiní I like to go commando!

Thanks again for doing this interview, do you have any last thing to say to the readers out there in AP land?

Thanks for the support, especially with Gatsbys American Dream.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
11:06 AM on 03/29/05
Suprhatch614
is a terrible user name
User Info.
Originally Posted by Brandon Herbel
I just wanted to first start off by saying thank you for taking some time out of your busy schedule and answer some questions for us.

[Has there ever come a time where youíve wanted to sign a band and then wait on it and then they get picked up by someone else?

Iíve heard that happens a lot in the music industry. Itís happened many times. Sometimes for the best and sometimes I have regretted waiting.

[.

Sweet...my question was asked....complete with grammatical errors and all...hell yeah
02:17 PM on 03/29/05
btbam > you
IT'S TIME!
User Info.
NEW BIGWIG!!!!!!!!! yesssssssssss i've been waiting SO LONG for something new from these guys.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos