AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
My Epic - I Am Undone Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.7
Musicianship 9.15
Lyrics 9.7
Production 7.55
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.3
Average: 87%
Inside AP.net

My Epic - I Am Undone

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (11/02/08)
My Epic - I Am Undone
Record Label: Facedown Records
Release Date: August 5, 2008

From the name of the band to the footprints that they make in post hardcore’s terrain, My Epic show an affinity for downbeat hardcore shrouded in howling atmospherics and molten churns on their latest release I Am Undone. The songs showcase the emotive curves of Aaron Stone’s vocals as he moans solemnly through “It’s at Times like This I Realize that Survival is not Enough” and soars with a feverish pitch through “The Oil Press” while overtones of Biblical messages emblazon the lyrics. Stone’s guitar work offers the songs moments of solace chained to blustery riffs held together by the rhythmic movements of drummer Jesse Stone and bassist Jeremiah Austin phrased to bow out and pull in the reins. The album is overshadowed by a sense of mourning, as spikes of guitar chords peal through the thick misty haze like figures wanting to break out of a bubble.

Opening with “Prologue” which contains a mellow blast of orchestral instruments and the vocal chants of “May it be the real I that speaks / May it be the real thou I speak to“ from C.S. Lewis‘ Letter To Malcolm: Chiefly on Paper, the album continues along a procession of hardcore ministrations fashioning alpines of rolling rhythmic strokes and thrashing guitar chords in “The Oil Press” and “Lest We Die.” From the tight ridges and fiery entanglements of “Men In Little Houses” to the slow moving swirls of “Communion,” My Epic vary their chord patterns and impulsive streaks to depict the messages of the lyrics like in “Communion” when Stone reflects, “Oh my Jesus I feel alone / And I know these are primitive needs / But I still need you here to hold me / But You don’t just hold me / You hold me together.”

The music has craters of prayer-like contemplation tied to frilly riffs as Stone’s vocals weave around the bends. The Biblical references are well-pronounced in “You Became I” as Stone tells, “Babel, were your men so dim to build your gods and worship them / Erect escape in increments, and place their faith in intellect? / Now we’ve been weeping at gravesides swearing hope is an island away / Just a spark for the firelight to keep despair at bay / My brothers, we are foolish / If this is how we think we can exist / There is no hope.” A sense of mourning washes over the lamenting words and blankets the music from one edge to the next.

The songs blend into each other like the chapters of a novel, building up gradually to the crescendos and then wallowing in the moments of release. The songs are well-sculpted breaking out into periods of rebellion and yielding to the slices of restitution. The songs sound like they come from inspiration and they work to inspire others. Maybe more than anything, My Epic makes inspirational rock for those who feel lost.

Recommended if you like: 30 Seconds to Mars, The Receiving End of Sirens, Circa Survive, Quick and the Dead, Amen. The Animal

www.myspace.com/myepic

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
05:55 PM on 11/02/08
3eb23
The World Is Yours
User Info.
I'm so glad to see this reviewed here. My Epic has put out a great album. I hope more and more people discover them and listen to this cd. I would like to add that for those who are fans of As Cities Burn's "Come Now Sleep", this album should be right up your alley.
07:47 PM on 11/02/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
they sound nothing like 30stm or quick and the dead
06:19 AM on 11/03/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I thought this album was pretty boring myself, except for the first few tracks.

And.. Maybe I'm just mistaken here, but aren't these guys basically the epitome of modern prog rock? I just think maybe "that they make in post hardcore’s terrain, My Epic show an affinity for downbeat hardcore" doesn't even slightly explain their sound.

As well.. I agree that it sounds nothing like 30StM, and that the greatest rec you could make would be As Cities Burn's Come Now, Sleep.
08:59 AM on 11/03/08
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
incredible album
04:27 AM on 11/04/08
cereal4life
User Info.
Thanks for the review, Susan. I'll be checking this out for sure. I'm listening to thei tracks on myspace and I like what I hear. Along with this, I'm going to get some As Cities Burn, who I've surprisingly never checked out before!
04:33 PM on 11/04/08
meghanlail
Do you know what stars are?
User Info.
These guys are so good. I was going to see them play with This Will Destroy You a couple weeks ago, but I couldn't make it.
Now I'm really wishing I had.
03:55 AM on 11/09/08
DoesJosieCare
User Info.
I like it. a lot.
10:54 PM on 11/24/08
mrzackreichert
User Info.
Such an amazing record. Listen now!!!
01:52 PM on 11/25/08
3eb23
The World Is Yours