Password

Album Review

Prawn - Basement Tapes Album Cover

Prawn - Basement Tapes

Reviewed by
Prawn - Basement Tapes
Record Label: None
Release Date: October 6, 2008
Nowadays, I believe that so many bands with potential are overlooked simply because they donít have a million views on Myspace or because they arenít signed to a label. Just because everyone says that there are too many bands out there, doesnít mean that the majority of bands are bad. I honestly think that 3/4 of the bands existing actually have potential to move people, itís just that people only focus on the 1/4. Needless to say, I am glad I came across Prawn, another example of a band with great potential that could just as easily be looked over.

The opening track on Prawnís Basement Tapes is a great way to break into this seven-track EP. First you hear a sound clip of a door closing followed by the sounds of someone using a typewriter. Then without even noticing it, a simple guitar melody covered in delay, floats in, painting a soothing landscape. To be honest, until the vocals came in halfway through the song, I thought I was listening to Explosions in the Sky.

The second track "Nightmares" comes in with a much faster tempo. Right away the song commands your attention. The vocals actually remind me of the vocalist from the band Islands at some moments. Throughout this EP, however, it is pretty hard to make out the words, as the music was much louder than the vocals. Another notable track is "Queen Vic," which starts out with a pretty interesting drum beat. The beginning guitar melody is very catchy and repeats throughout the song to good effect, especially during the impressive transition in the middle of the song.

One song that doesn't move me as much as the others is "Cornell." Itís not a bad track; it just doesn't deliver emotion as passionately as the other songs on Basement Tapes. Another problem that draws me away from the song is the bass is overpowering at times. This isnít a track that should be avoided, but I can't make the same connection with this song that I make with others.

This EP is filled with emotion that isnít solely delivered through vocals. Itís the beautiful imagery being drawn by the elegant use of delayed guitars, ambient drums, reoccurring melodies, and in "Beers in Bathrooms," the floating synth. Listening to Prawn reminds me of the very reason I became a fan of Explosions in the Sky; you donít always need words to convey emotion in songs. Basement Tapes has its blemishes, such as lyrics being hard to hear or the bass being overbearing at times, but the emotions are there, and thatís what matters most.

Recommended if You LikeExplosions in the Sky; Islands; Death Cab for Cutie; Jimmy Eat World

myspace.com/prawnnj
This review is a user submitted review from pstar. You can see all of pstar's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
03:59 PM on 04/14/09
ablueskytragedy
me waka natau
User Info.
Incredible band. Vocals deserve higher rating IMO.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos