AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
There for Tomorrow - There for Tomorrow EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6
Production 9.75
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.36
Musicianship 8.32
Lyrics 7.75
Production 9.16
Creativity 7.36
Lasting Value 7.61
Reviewer Tilt 7.84
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

There for Tomorrow - There for Tomorrow EP

Reviewed by: Steve Henderson (11/04/08)
There for TomorrowThere for Tomorrow EP
Release Date: August 5th, 2008
Record Label: Hopeless Records

It’s easy to remember back to a time just a few years ago when bands outside the major label bubble all sounded like the starving indies that they were. Their recordings sounded like dogshit for the most part, and for good reason – they tended to be recorded in a garage, a basement, or a bedroom, and in a time before widespread adoption of ProTools and other fancy aids. However, in the last 5 years or so, this notion has gone out the window, when new-ish bands now have access to, and are coughing up the cash to record with same top flight producers. Panic did it with Squire, and the result paid off for both parties as an irrefutable hit. Alive in Wild Paint recorded with Trombino, with a far less commercially smashing aftermath, but nevertheless, a record that sounds pristine. There for Tomorrow are one of the more recent acts to go down this path, enlisting the skills of the venerable James Paul Wisner to produce their first two EPs. The results are, of course, what you might expect. A huge sounding set of tracks from a relatively new band that sound a lot further along than they really are.

There for Tomorrow are at least refreshing in that they play a type of music that is becoming somewhat rare right now, especially within the ranks of the Hopeless roster. Their sound is far more mature than the rash of pop-punk copycats out there, but they consistently exhibit an indelible ear for true pop appeal in their tunes. The end results end up being an sugar-coated blend of high-energy rock that is equal parts appealing and mundane in its safety. Frontman Maika Maile has the perfect voice for this fence-sitting brand of rock – not as shrill as a Cove Reber yet much more refined than, say, a Kenny Vasoli – he ends up sounding more like a Jason Vena-in-training, which is no short compliment. His vocals are really quite pleasant – in fact, there is little issue to be taken with that aspect of the band’s sound.

The only gripes with the seven tracks on There for Tomorrow stem not from the execution of the plans here, but rather the foundations themselves. Cuts like “Deadlines” and “Pages” are two of the EP’s better samples, but they still come off sounding like emulations of bands that have paved the way for these guys long ago. The guitars swirl in ambient blares and chunky riffs in the same fashion, the vocal tracks double up in just the right places, percussion is by-the-numbers, and so forth. The elevated energy levels are entirely believable, but it doesn’t serve to overcome the lack of originality here – a problem that becomes more severe by the lesser latter tracks. By the end of the EP, it is not at all painful to keep the music playing, but just shy of impossible to remain engaged.

Overall, There for Tomorrow are obviously a skilled band with mountains of potential. It shows on this EP, and it is fitting that they have signed to the ever-expanding ranks of Hopeless Records. Their release starts off strong enough, but loses a lot as it treads on with recycled, half-baked hooks and a much duller edge – something they will certainly have to remedy before a proper LP release. Of course, Wisner is the real star here, putting together a collection of tracks dressed to the nines, elevating an otherwise above average offering to the next level entirely.

Recommended if you like: Anberlin, Saosin, Ivoryline, Acceptance, Armor for Sleep

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 51
12:45 PM on 11/04/08
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
If this scene is worth anything, this band will be huge.
01:02 PM on 11/04/08
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Love this band and their EP's. Glad to see them finally getting some recognition.

Florida is poppin' them out like hot cakes.
01:04 PM on 11/04/08
johnnylcd
Lights Camera Distractions
User Info.
good tunes, too much rockstar for me though. the one important aspect they forgot to take from anberlin is humility and modesty. i really enjoy the sound of the album, the lyrics just don't do anything for me for 2 reasons: their attitudes don't back the words up and they simply just aren't very good lyrics. *waits for the myspacewhores to chew me up*. i know this is just an album review, but these guys are really really good live, so i'll give them credit for that. great/bold review though steve.
01:08 PM on 11/04/08
ManicanParty49
Rob Carey Peterson
User Info.
Not a huge fan. I can't really get into it. I respect the hell out of this band though cause they toured like crazy before they got signed, and are extremely hard workers. They are very talented, and for while I may not enjoy every song, I have to give them credit for being able to write music that doesn't sound like every dime a dozen band right now, and make it poppy enough to be on tour with all those dime a dozen band.
01:16 PM on 11/04/08
Young Machetes
Wasteland Explorer
User Info.
I saw these guys for the second time with Anberlin last night.

They're solid live, and I see big things in the future.
01:18 PM on 11/04/08
dru
i know i got my issues...
User Info.
If this band was more versatile with what they can do with their music, and wrote better lyrics, I'd like them a lot more. Let's hope it shows on the full-length.
01:29 PM on 11/04/08
celeney
beating
User Info.
I love their stuff and they're awesome live.
01:30 PM on 11/04/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Not that good.
01:35 PM on 11/04/08
gphatx
User Info.
I love this band. Saw them with Anberlin on Halloween, they put on a great live show. Can't wait to see what happens with their upcoming LP.
01:49 PM on 11/04/08
myhearturhands
The spaceman that can't get high.
User Info.
nice review.i wish i was seeing them with straylight run this weekend but noo
01:55 PM on 11/04/08
Kgod
I disagree!
User Info.
Also saw these guys with Anberlin about a week ago( Courtesy of AP, ty) and thought I'd give the ep a chance. Listened to it for the first time today and I think its great. Stronger focus on vocals and instruments then catchy, hooky lyrics and I think it gives it more substance then half the stuff I've been hearing lately. Like that guy before said, "If this scene is worth anything, this band will be huge."

Also, enjoyed the review but not a hundred percent in agreement. I think the ep actually ends with one of the stronger tracks, as opposed to fizzling out.
01:57 PM on 11/04/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Also saw these guys with Anberlin about a week ago( Courtesy of AP, ty) and thought I'd give the ep a chance. Listened to it for the first time today and I think its great. Stronger focus on vocals and instruments then catchy, hooky lyrics and I think it gives it more substance then half the stuff I've been hearing lately. Like that guy before said, "If this scene is worth anything, this band will be huge."

Also, enjoyed the review but not a hundred percent in agreement. I think the ep actually ends with one of the stronger tracks, as opposed to fizzling out.
I enjoy the last track, but the two before that are pretty poor.
02:21 PM on 11/04/08
Holly HoX!
User Info.
PMtoday will be the best new band to come out of Florida.
02:42 PM on 11/04/08
maryelizbeth
Allegorical Figure of Wisdom
User Info.
i hope they do well, they're such good people.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums