AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Let Lions - With No Spine to Speak Of Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Let Lions - With No Spine to Speak Of

Reviewed by: Klatzke (11/07/08)
Let Lions - With No Spine to Speak Of
Record Label: None
Release Date: July 11, 2008

I went into this album expecting the same old metalcore trend that I've come to expect from bands like Confide, Norma Jean, and Mikoto. I was pleasantly off put though when I realized this album was less like those and more like the chaotic post-hardcore albums I've recently acquired a taste for. Comparisons can be drawn away from those metalcore bands to bands more like Kills and Thrills, or even, in some places, La Dispute's earlier work.

Their vocalist does a great job at adding a sense of urgency to the album. His hoarse screams mix with the instrumentation well, and when he switches his vocals over to spoken or sung ones, it adds another level. The drums and guitar work both hold their own and keep the album moving and interesting. There's not really a boring moment on the EP and they do a good job of keeping it cut and concise. For the most part, it doesn't get very heavy. However, when they want it to, such as in the scattered couple of breakdowns, they can make it that way. For the most part it stays at a comfortable level; it's heavy enough to keep me entertained and fit the vocals, but not heavy enough to where it seems like they're trying too hard.

I've pretty much said all I can about With No Spine to Speak Of. Let Lions has released a solid EP, and although a few slight spots need some tightening up, they've got pretty much everything down. I don't even really have any big critiques of it; in fact, I think that if they just stay on this road and do a bit of refining for their next release, they could have one hell of an album.

Recommended if You Like:Kills and Thrills; La Dispute's Vancouver

myspace.com/letlions

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums