AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Alkaline Trio News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Alkaline Trio Headline Charity Event

Posted by - 06:44 PM on 11/13/08
Alkaline Trio will be headlining a charity concert on December 14th in Hollywood for UCP Wheels for Humanity. The Gaslight Anthem and Broadway Calls will also be playing - details are in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
06:45 PM on 11/13/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
ALKALINE TRIO, THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM, PUNK ROCK KARAOKE AND BROADWAY CALLS SET TO PERFORM AT THE ROCK TO ROLL CHARITY EVENT IN HOLLYWOOD DEC. 14, 2008

The third annual ROCK TO ROLL charity event spearheaded by SideOneDummy Co-Founder Joe Sib is happening this year at The Key Club in West Hollywood, CA on December 14. The event will directly benefit the non-profit organization UCP WHEELS FOR HUMANITY. Headlining the event this year is ALKALINE TRIO. The night will also feature performance s from THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM, BROADWAY CALLS and a set from PUNK ROCK KARAOKE (featuring members of NOFX, Bad Religion, Pennywise & Social Distortion).

Since purchasing a wheelchair would require many years worth of wages - an unimaginable luxury among people who are also struggling to feed their children and provide adequate shelter for their families, UCP WHEELS FOR HUMANITY's mission is to provide increased self sufficiency, mobility, and education to people with disabilities. Since 1996, over 600 volunteers annually collect, refurbish and ship donated wheelchairs, and have helped over 40,000 children and adults living in the poorest of conditions, in developing countries such as Zimbabwe, Vietnam, Ukraine, Mexico, Mongolia, and others.

Last year, the ROCK TO ROLL benefit concert at The Avalon in Hollywood raised $38,000 for UCP WHEELS FOR HUMANITY. The average wheelchair costs $150 to refurbish, which means last year's event directly improved the lives of roughly 253 individuals in need. This year the event has moved to The Key Club in West Hollywood and the goal is to double the fundraising efforts. Tickets go on sale Saturday Nov.15th

Alkaline Trio is currently on tour supporting Agony and Irony, released this year on Epic Records. The Gaslight Anthem released The '59 Sound on Side One Dummy Records this year. Broadway Calls continue to support their 2007 self titled album, which was picked up by Adeline Records and reissued in early 2008. Punk Rock Karaoke released their self titled DVD/CD combo through MVD last month, featuring many classic punk songs and guest vocals by some of the biggest names in punk rock.

For More Information on the bands:
www.alkalinetrio.com
www.gaslightanthem.com
www.broadwaycalls.com
www.punkrockkaraoke.com

For the third straight year, legendary artist Brian Ewing will design all of the art work surrounding Rock To Roll 2008. Brian has been a freelance illustrator/designer for various companies, bands, publishers, and eccentric patrons. His past clients include: Star Wars, Hustler, DC Comics, Samsung, Vagrant Records, The New Yorker, Spin, EMI, Vans Warped Tour, Marvel Comics, Taste of Chaos, Guitar World, Atticus Clothing, Dragon Clothing as well as countless bands. For more information on Brian and his work, check out his website: www.brianewing.com.

To volunteer, support, and learn more about UCP Wheels, go to their website at www.ucpwfh.org
06:46 PM on 11/13/08
tipoftheiceberg
son of the silent age
User Info.
damn i wanna go to this!
washington never gets things like this
06:47 PM on 11/13/08
djsclaus
www.brandonmarshall.net
User Info.
I'd go for the openers

I've seen Alkaline Trio plenty and their set opening for Rise Against definitely didn't surprise me
07:20 PM on 11/13/08
moonlights
cinco de mayo!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
gaslight anthem? alkaline trio at the key club?

i am so fucking there.
07:20 PM on 11/13/08
Özgür Kurtoglu
-
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Are The Gaslight Anthem any good live? I'm seeing them in February and really, really like The '59 Sound so naturally I'm rather excited to see 'em live. Are they anthemic à la Springsteen or just a no-holds-barred punk rock band live?
07:38 PM on 11/13/08
nellbelle
User Info.
Are The Gaslight Anthem any good live? I'm seeing them in February and really, really like The '59 Sound so naturally I'm rather excited to see 'em live. Are they anthemic à la Springsteen or just a no-holds-barred punk rock band live?

When I saw them open for Rise Against, they were fantastic. The singer's between song dialogue was certainly... interesting, too.

I am so going to try to make this.
08:45 PM on 11/13/08
makeoutmags
every moment bleeds into one
User Info.

I'd lean toward anthemic but they have that punk energy... they are amaaaaazing live, the release party at Knitting was easily my favorite show of 2008, thus far.
09:05 PM on 11/13/08
ladybug13
User Info.
i get sick every time i hear about all these amazing bands playing these special shows in hollywood when i'm not there yet :( and yes the gaslight anthem is good live..they are fun to watch
02:28 AM on 11/14/08
Özgür Kurtoglu
-
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'd lean toward anthemic but they have that punk energy... they are amaaaaazing live, the release party at Knitting was easily my favorite show of 2008, thus far.

When I saw them open for Rise Against, they were fantastic. The singer's between song dialogue was certainly... interesting, too.

Wow, didn't expect them to be called fantastic that quickly, by two people nonetheless. Any of you two seem 'em in a small, dingy, dirty, wonderful little bar?
07:43 AM on 11/14/08
bigrockusa
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
such a good cause. Would love to go to this, but i don't live in Couthern CA anymore :'(
09:10 AM on 11/14/08
swt_catastrophe
Los Angeles.
User Info.
i love living in socal.
and good for them for doing a charity show.
10:07 AM on 11/14/08
oldskool
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Broadway Calls is where it's at.
10:40 AM on 11/14/08
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
Will probably go.
12:42 PM on 11/14/08
Mediocrity
User Info.
Good to know Alkaline Trio's sucking of the commercial teat and movement into MOR territory has a few upsides.

Maybe that's a LITTLE harsh.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version