Password

Album Review

A Wilhelm Scream - Career Suicide Album Cover

A Wilhelm Scream - Career Suicide

Reviewed by
A Wilhelm Scream - Career Suicide
Record Label: Nitro Records
Release Date: October 9, 2007
Sometimes the fourth time is the charm. Where A Wilhelm Scream used to sound cluttered and overdone like a group of amateurs trying way too hard to bridge punk and metal, Career Suicide flows like the music they’d been meaning to make all along. It’s got that undefinable something, that magical pull that calls for illogically many repeat listenings but never grows tiresome, even the 100th time in.

Now, the fact that the guys have cleaned up their sound doesn’t mean its any less over the top. With the addition of The Fully Down’s old bassist, there’s more notes per minute flying around than ever before, but the difference is this time it all sounds way less forced. The dude just brought the right kind of chemistry to the studio (and the dude can fucking wail – see “Check Request Denied” if you don’t believe me. Actually, see any song.) This music is the result of jams that really stuck rather than detailed planning with a pen and a paper.

A concept album that we can all relate to about work taking advantage of the average man, Career Suicide finally finds AWS writing about something instead of auto-erotic asphyxiation or going fishing. The song titles are still distinctively Wilhelm – “I Wipe My Ass with Showbiz” couldn’t have come from anybody else – but overall it seems like the they’ve matured a little bit.

Partly because of the connecting themes of the album, the songs move together really well. The album is a little bit too short, but I guess that just means AWS kept the gold and cut out the filler. In all honesty I’ll take an excellent short album over a bloated indulgent waste of time any day.

“Get Mad You Son of a Bitch!” not only has the greatest song title ever, and not only does it contain the illogically vulgar lyric “I took a piss in every ocean, so fuck the world”, but it’s also got an almost dreamy set of arpeggios on top of mile a minute punk drums and the combination is awesome. The song titles with swears, vulgar choruses, and distorted arpeggios altogether are reminiscent of Propagandhi’s totally excellent Today’s Empires, Tomorrow’s Ashes – which is, in this reviewer’s opinion, one of the best punk albums ever made.

This is without a doubt A Wilhelm Scream’s best album and without a doubt one of the best melodic punk albums of the decade (not that that is saying very much.) Go out of your way to get this, and then indulge in probably the most angst-filled half hour of your day (hopefully in the face of authority figures.)

Recommended If You Like:
Propagandhi, A Wilhelm Scream’s Ruiner, Much The Same

Check It:
www.myspace.com/awilhelmscream
This review is a user submitted review from OKComputer1016. You can see all of OKComputer1016's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
11:35 PM on 11/13/08
Jason Tate
User Info.
Such a good CD.
07:31 AM on 11/14/08
rckstr29
User Info.
I always tell myself I'll get around to listening to this. Maybe this is a sign that I finally will.
08:18 AM on 11/14/08
ddb43
User Info.
Soooooooooooooooooo Gooooooooood.
09:20 AM on 11/14/08
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
as is true of all music, if it's not about auto-erotic asphyxiation or going fishing, then i want no part of it.

admittedly, i have a rather limited playlist from which to draw my daily tunes.

nice review, eric!
09:24 AM on 11/14/08
lartsae
...that damn komodo dragon.
User Info.
one of the better cd's of last year.
11:49 AM on 11/14/08
Eadonj
User Info.
Great CD by one of my all time favourite bands.
They are absolutley blistering when they play live, anyone who enjoys having their face peeled off I highly recommend you get your ass along to one of their gigs!
Cant wait to see where they go with album number 5.
12:55 PM on 11/14/08
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
this was the best album released last year
06:48 PM on 11/14/08
everybirdsnest2
User Info.
Grows and grows and grows on you. AWS are the best band of their genre today.
12:10 PM on 11/16/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Definitely one of the better albums of last year. Worthy of everyone's top 10 lists.
02:03 PM on 11/16/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Eric you rule. You've came on staff in a storm. I like your reviews.
05:51 PM on 11/17/08
laflava
User Info.
It took me a few spins to find my "king is dead" line, but this album grew on me intensely. Great review.
09:56 AM on 11/18/08
ShreddieKrueger
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Full Blast's bassist *****
06:19 PM on 11/19/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Love this album so much.
01:52 PM on 11/20/08
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
Disagree with your opinions about their old stuff, but this was a decent review.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos