AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Haste the Day - Dreamer Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 3
Lasting Value 3
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 61%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.35
Musicianship 6.1
Lyrics 5.55
Production 6.45
Creativity 5.35
Lasting Value 5.2
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Average: 59%
Inside AP.net

Haste the Day - Dreamer

Reviewed by: Matthew Tsai (11/14/08)
Haste the Day - Dreamer
Record Label: Solid State Records
Release Date: October 14, 2008

Dreamer is Haste the Day's second album with vocalist Stephen Keech. Now, while I used to love Pressure the Hinges, it's safe to say I've moved on from modern metalcore - I only checked out Dreamer for the slight nostalgic value it contained. What I heard neither "pleasantly surprised" or "utterly disappointed" me; instead, the album sounds like metalcore's last stand before its imminent death. Dreamer is a solid scream/sing disc that will get you grooving to some accessible rock, but ultimately has little lasting value.

"68" says "let the album commence!" with lyrics such as, "I am the one you will call the destroyer / The messenger of my disgrace" laid over "wicked" riffs. I'm treated to an "infectiously" sung chorus just 30 seconds into the disc, followed by one of those "windy" screams that come close to becoming pig squeals. You can already infer two things by the amount of descriptive quotation marks in those two sentences: 1. Metalcore has been described to death, which can only mean this album probably sounds like every other metalcore album and 2. True to point 1, Dreamer sounds extremely similar to Pressure the Hinges, besides Keech's slightly evolved screams. Otherwise, all the instruments are déjà vu.

Tracks 1-8 are octuplets in terms of sound. Few things distinguish one song from the other, besides "Invoke Reform's" head-bobbing intro. If you're looking for generic, easily accessible hard music to just have fun 2-stepping or Polka dancing or whatever it is they do to music these days, you might as well pick up this album. Just remember to start winding down as soon as "Sons of the Fallen Nation" starts; the lethargic but cute "Labyrinth" will throw you off. Then, "Porcelain" brings an encore of the typical Haste the Day style before shutting things down with "Autumn."

I'd like to take a moment to discuss "Autumn." On an album of cookie-cutter tunes, "Autumn" shocked me. It's one of those slow, gorgeous acoustic songs that catches people off guard and throttles them by the neck roaring "how dare you call this album 'cookie-cutter'?!" Keech's southern accent does get in the way a little bit, but other than that, I was at a lost as to what to do after the beauty ended. Whoever wrote this song, please take time off from the band to record a solo project - I will definitely buy it.

So in conclusion, Dreamer is nothing more than safe metalcore and a beautiful ballad. You don't really need a suggestion as to whether to acquire it or not; you already know what it sounds like. There are bands out there that have the potential to revive this genre, but if this album is any indication of the direction it's taking, consider metalcore as good as dead.

Recommended if You LikeUnderoath; As I Lay Dying; All That Remains

myspace.com/hastetheday

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
11:29 AM on 11/25/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
The screamed vocals on this album completely turned me off. "Invoke Reform" has a sweet riff though.
09:53 AM on 12/01/08
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Isn't Autumn a remake of one of their old songs. Thus, the one and only Jimmy Ryan is probably responsible for the lyrics.

Great review. Entertaining. I don't have much love left for HTD though.
10:16 AM on 12/01/08
Smeee
AP.net's Resident Staryu
User Info.
Isn't Autumn a remake of one of their old songs. Thus, the one and only Jimmy Ryan is probably responsible for the lyrics.

Great review. Entertaining. I don't have much love left for HTD though.

This.

And drunkwithcoffee, Brennan Chaulk, the guitarist, sings Autumn rather than Keech haha.

Aside from that, pretty spot on review. I used to love these guys back in the day but this album just screams generic. I listen to it occasionally though
10:26 AM on 12/01/08
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
This.

And drunkwithcoffee, Brennan Chaulk, the guitarist, sings Autumn rather than Keech haha.

Aside from that, pretty spot on review. I used to love these guys back in the day but this album just screams generic. I listen to it occasionally though
Pretty sure Keech sings that it's a lot gruffer than Chaulk's voice. Album is ok at best the only song I really go back to is Autumn.
10:45 AM on 12/01/08
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
on first listen i liked this, but i get bored with it. it really doesnt bring anything to the table. i used to love old haste the day with jimmy, but they are just not as good.
02:17 PM on 12/01/08
AndrewCloer
brokenharmonics.bandcamp. com
User Info.
i'm pretty sure it's the guitarist or bass player that sings autumn.

not keech.
03:01 PM on 12/01/08
Silver Bullets
All you need is love.
User Info.
hmm, i liked it, but i like the other one w/ Keech (pressure the hinges) better.
when everything falls apart ftw
03:44 PM on 12/01/08
TuskandTemper
User Info.
"What I heard neither "pleasantly surprised" or "utterly disappointed" me; instead, the album sounds like metalcore's last stand before its imminent death. Dreamer is a solid scream/sing disc that will get you grooving to some accessible rock, but ultimately has little lasting value."

i totally agree with this.. as a hate the day fan from "BURNING BRIDGES" i believe this will be the last record from Haste The Day that I give a solid chance. When everything falls was mediocre, and on their video they dubbed over the screaming parts... that was just real gay of them. Pressure The Hinges was a much better album than Dreamer has proven to be... Such a shame.. burning bridges was awesome.
04:01 PM on 12/01/08
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Pretty sure Keech sings that it's a lot gruffer than Chaulk's voice. Album is ok at best the only song I really go back to is Autumn.

It's not Keech. This song first appeared on their first EP, and whoever sang that sang it on Dreamer. It's either Brennan or Devin. One of the Chaulk brothers. It sounds like Devin maybe. The two versions are pretty similar, excpept the old version is longer. I know you can still get it on iTunes, so to those interested, pick it up. It's pretty good IMO.

That said, I really enjoyed this album...and I like it better than PTH.
04:26 PM on 12/01/08
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
It's not Keech. This song first appeared on their first EP, and whoever sang that sang it on Dreamer. It's either Brennan or Devin. One of the Chaulk brothers. It sounds like Devin maybe. The two versions are pretty similar, excpept the old version is longer. I know you can still get it on iTunes, so to those interested, pick it up. It's pretty good IMO.

That said, I really enjoyed this album...and I like it better than PTH.
I know about the original, I am a longtime HTD fan, but the voice is tooooo gruff for them to my ears i dunno.
05:18 PM on 12/01/08
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
I will agree that this album doesn't really do much to stand apart from any other typical metalcore band out there (aside from "Labrynth" and "Autumn"). That being said, I still think that for what it is, it's not horrible. I, for one, enjoyed the difference in Keech's scream and I honestly don't see the comparison to the "pig squealing", but that's just me. Lastly, I'm pretty sure it is Stephen that sings on "Autumn" or it could possibly be Stephen and Brennan.
08:13 PM on 12/01/08
OGODTHAFTERMATH
User Info.
I say this every time I see anything about HTD... Jimmy Ryan > Keech.. plain and simple. The band was more creative and stood out more w/ Ryan. I still LOVE Haste the Day to this day and never pass on seeing them live, I just miss the one thing that set them apart... Jimmy! I must see Trenches live sometime!
03:24 PM on 12/05/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
This.

whoops, thanks for letting me know
11:45 AM on 01/06/09
killab5953
User Info.
brennan is definitely the voice behind the amazing acoustic version of autumn.
although the original version of autumn is fkn amazing, especially when it picks up at the end, the acoustic version gives me chills every single time i hear it. it is hands down the best song on 'dreamer'.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums