Username
Password

02:01 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
xkhiemster
xkhiemster.wordpress.com
Sun Valley, CA
Male - 22 Years Old
I dunno...I just couldn't find myself attaching to the characters at all, which is probably the reason.

Will check it out!

alright, well, check out Makoto Shinkai's other stuff, too, would you?
02:03 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
xkhiemster
xkhiemster.wordpress.com
Sun Valley, CA
Male - 22 Years Old
i still haven't seen Summer Wars. and i have every reason to. loved the first Digimon movies and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
02:06 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
WakingTheMisery
<3
TX/NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
i still haven't seen Summer Wars. and i have every reason to. loved the first Digimon movies and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

You will certainly enjoy it.
03:04 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
thesinkingship
Can't get that engine turned over
Tralfamadorian
Have you seen some other shoujo romances (or just romances)? I thought that show was pretty derivative.

Just Ouran Koukou Host Club
03:32 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
xkhiemster
xkhiemster.wordpress.com
Sun Valley, CA
Male - 22 Years Old
romantic anime suggestions:
Kare Kano
Chobits
Love Hina
Saikano

i've also seen Rumbling Hearts and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World... didn't like them.
03:51 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
JoshSalas
Ontario
Male - 22 Years Old
Been meaning to watch Kare Kano. A friend who has near identical taste to me says it's really good.

Just Ouran Koukou Host Club

Ah okay, cool. Not sure if you're interested in adding another romance or two to the cue, but here are a few I'd recommend anyway (a few I've seen myself, a few trusted sources have raved about).

Shoujo/Romance: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Kimi ni Todoke.

Romance: Maison Ikkoku, Nodame Cantabile, Clannad (if you can handle those eyes, lol), and Kemonozume.
08:36 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
Viva Sonata
javadeer.tumblr.com
Portland, Maine
Male - 22 Years Old
Clannad is a MESS. Don't even boooooother.
09:01 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
JoshSalas
Ontario
Male - 22 Years Old
I thought the first season was fun and the second heart-wrenching. Although, I wouldn't consider my own opinion especially relevant, since it was maybe the 2nd or 3rd series I ever watched. I loved everything at that point, haha.
10:17 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
WakingTheMisery
<3
TX/NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
Bleach chapter well worth the wait.
12:19 AM on 02/16/13 
User Info.
ItsRyan
Spartans Will
Michigan
Male - 28 Years Old
I wish I had friends into anime, I've always wanted to go to a convention
01:35 AM on 02/16/13 
User Info.
JoshSalas
Ontario
Male - 22 Years Old
I can empathize, though I've only myself to blame. I've never gone to my school's anime club meetings (they're on Friday nights, which kind of sucks) or made any other active attempt to meet other anime fans, haha.

On another note, I discovered this mangaka earlier today and cannot get enough of her art.

01:57 AM on 02/16/13 
User Info.
thesinkingship
Can't get that engine turned over
Tralfamadorian
How do you feel about anime being referred to as cartoons? Also, do you consider cartoonist an appropriate title for Japanese animators?
10:30 AM on 02/16/13 
User Info.
dash64
This Is My Design
San Antonio, TX
Male - 23 Years Old
How do you feel about anime being referred to as cartoons? Also, do you consider cartoonist an appropriate title for Japanese animators?

I think anime and cartoons are two completely different things. Anime has a distinct style whereas cartoons range from looney tunes to adventure time. As for the title of Japanese animators I'd just call them animators.
10:38 AM on 02/16/13 
User Info.
xkhiemster
xkhiemster.wordpress.com
Sun Valley, CA
Male - 22 Years Old
I think anime and cartoons are two completely different things. Anime has a distinct style whereas cartoons range from looney tunes to adventure time. As for the title of Japanese animators I'd just call them animators.

i disagree. i think cartoons includes Looney Tunes and Anime, as well as South Park and Toy Story 3. animation includes all this as well as The Nightmare Before Christmas and Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas. regardless of medium (hand-drawn vs. CGI), cartoons are moving drawings, whereas animation can be filmed.

there are probably official definitions to all of these in some film textbook in some college library somewhere, though.
01:44 PM on 02/16/13 
User Info.
JoshSalas
Ontario
Male - 22 Years Old
Anime are cartoons as far as I understand the definitions, but it's easy to understand why Western anime fans would want to avoid that label. What other people call it doesn't bother me, but I'll probably stick with "anime" or "Japanese animation".

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos