Password

Album Review

Alan Cohen Experience - Alan Cohen Experience Album Cover

Alan Cohen Experience - Alan Cohen Experience

Reviewed by
Alan Cohen Experience - Alan Cohen Experience
Record Label: FamJam Records
Release Date: November 4, 2008
Alan Cohen Experience released its debut album last year. So how was it? It is hard to say. The album shifted around from genres that I enjoy to genres that made me want to turn off the CD. The album at times had a great folky sound to it. At other times, like on the track "Pharaoh," I felt like I was sitting in Hebrew School, which is not what I want from my music. Then there is "Mandala," which I was barely able to listen to. The entire track was the singer just saying Mandala over and over again with a few other lyrics inserted in at times. Like I said, though, I liked the sound of parts of the album, which led me to listen to Alan Cohen Experience's new self-titled EP.

The album starts out with "Elephant." This song was definitely not what I expected when I turned the EP on. The song has a very big Jamaican feel to it, which is a nice change. The track is pretty enjoyable to listen to, and it has a playful sound to it. My one complaint towards the song is that it repeats the same, unemotional lyrics over and over again. The second track, "Roy's Rock," has more of a Red Hot Chili Peppers feel to it, with a little funk added in. Throughout the album, the influences on the group are very evident. As I stated above, the Red Hot Chili Peppers influence is quite palpable. In addition there is a Beatles sound to a couple tracks. "Space Watch," which is the final track, is by far the best song on the album. It is a slow song with a nice folky feel to it.

This is a hard album to sum up because it shifts from one style to another on every track. However, even with this wide range of songs, none of them is that original. I was very impressed by the instrumentals on the tracks, which includes the use of trumpets, violins, and pianos. Overall I would say that this album seems more like a compilation than a single band's album. I applaud the band for its improvements since the last album.

Recommended if You Likecompilations; Red Hot Chili Peppers

myspace.com/alancohenexperience
This review is a user submitted review from ActionActionFan. You can see all of ActionActionFan's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version