AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dustin Kensrue - This Good Night is Still Everywhere Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7
Production 7.75
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.41
Musicianship 8.13
Lyrics 8.13
Production 8.31
Creativity 8.09
Lasting Value 8.47
Reviewer Tilt 8.59
Average: 83%
Inside AP.net

Dustin Kensrue - This Good Night is Still Everywhere

Reviewed by: Travis Parno (11/23/08)
Dustin KensrueThis Good Night Is Still Everywhere
Record Label: Vagrant Records
Release Date: November 18, 2008

Battle lines may be drawn around screamo, and power-pop certainly has its share of haters, but Christmas music can be pretty polarizing too. You either love it any form (see: Joe) or you scowl at even the most stripped-down, department store musak version of “Jingle Bells” (see: my girlfriend). Personally, I’m closer to the “lovin’ it” camp, but I’m rather picky with my Christmas music. These are time-tested tunes and I won’t put up with some hack’s remix of “Holly Jolly Christmas, Yo.” Do it right or don’t do it at all.

Naturally, I was psyched to hear that Dustin Kensrue, lead singer of post-rockers Thrice, would be releasing his acoustic Christmas album, This Good Night Is Still Everywhere. If anyone can swing a ten-track holiday celebration (eight covers, two originals), then it’s got to be the man with the soulful passion and the oh-so-lovable, dragged-over-gravel vocals. Right? Well, sort of.

This Good Night Is Still Everywhere starts off painlessly enough with a fairly standard rendition of “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).” Fine, no harm, no foul. Some of the other covers, such as “Blue Christmas” and “O Holy Night,” are similarly true to their original form (almost to the point of boredom), while others, especially the bouncing “God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen” and the softly haunting “O Come, O Come, Emmanuel,” translate wonderfully through Kensrue’s guitar.

Representing the lower end of the spectrum, “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” quite simply should not have been included on the record. It’s 1:45 of sheer, power-chorded inanity. Fortunately, Kensrue hits the mark with the remaining two covers. The muted success of “Christmas Blues” is no surprise given the man’s naturally expressive pipes. “Fairytale of New York” is a winner in part because of the original version’s excellent construction (courtesy of The Pogues) and in part because of Kensrue’s treatment of it. It rocks in all the right places, and having tweaked the lyrics a bit to remove some of the original offensive language, his cover brings a twinge of sadness to the end of the Irish romp.

Given the multitude of Christmas songs that have been written over the years, the fact that Kensrue’s originals hold up among the classics is surely a testament to his ability. The title track paints a pretty seasonal portrait in traditional fashion without straying too far outside of the lines. “This is War,” the album’s closer, begins ominously, in a very Grinchy manner (as if the song’s title wasn’t enough); however, by the end of the track, it’s clear that this is, well, the good kind of war, as Kensrue sings, “This is war on sin and death/ Dark will take its final breath.” It’s celebratory in that sort of Old Testament, God-is-really-gonna-kick-your-ass kind of way.

As Christmas albums go, This Good Night Is Still Everywhere isn’t too bad at all. It might not deck out the tree with all the trimmings, but it’ll at least hang the stockings (that was a little merriment metaphor for you – yeah, that just happened). There are several finely executed tracks and the few duds don’t completely derail an otherwise pleasant experience. It’s almost the time of year when we should all be cozying up to a fire with a cup of hot chocolate and I can’t think of a voice I’d rather hear echoing through the snowy evening.

Track List1. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
2. Christmas Blues
3. Blue Christmas
4. Fairytale of New York
5. This Good Night Is Still Everywhere
6. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
7. O Come, O Come Emmanuel
8. God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen
9. O Holy Night
10. This Is War

Give it a try if you like…Dustin Kensrue’s Please Come Home; Bob Dylan; Tom Waits in a Santa suit; Christmas music

Hear it on the internetzOfficial Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
03:37 PM on 11/23/08
knowthisx
brujah brujah!
User Info.
This album is really good, I'm enjoying it.

Atleast it's not as horrible as the Aretha Christmas album...
they play that shit every day in the Borders in which I work.

think Paul Rudd in 40YOV and how he feels about Michael McDonald.
05:08 PM on 11/23/08
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I was actually going to write a review for this tomorrow, but I don't think I can really add anything that this doesn't already say. It's a little disappointing because of how much I really love Please Come Home.
05:22 PM on 11/23/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i was disappointed by this record. Though I really love his take on "Hark!" and "O Holy Night." The rest is kind of lackluster, though.
05:53 PM on 11/23/08
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
Still too early for me to deck the halls. But I have it waiting on my ipod when the time is right.
09:25 PM on 11/23/08
Tribute2Ben89
User Info.
"O Holy Night" is one of my favorite Dustin solo songs I've heard. His voice is just so suitable for this music.
05:19 AM on 11/24/08
cereal4life
User Info.
is this available as a physical copy?

Ace review dude. Even though I love Thrice and Dustin, I was on the fence with this (not really a huge fan of Xmas music) but now I'm going to get it for sure. Thanks.
06:43 AM on 11/24/08
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
A decent album.
08:31 AM on 11/24/08
chillinlikebob
User Info.
I really like this record. I love his voice and the renditions I think are great. This cd along with Sufjan Stevans, Kevin Max, and the Chrismas Tree comp are all amazing.
08:32 AM on 11/24/08
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Aw, he removed the language from Fairytale Of New York? weeeeaaaaak.

In all seriousness though I still want to check this out. Good review.
09:16 AM on 11/24/08
DivisionStreet
Music
User Info.
Thrice...post-rock? Eh. I don't know.

Otherwise, I wish he would've just come out with a solo album of mostly non-seasonal originals. Please Come Home is one of my favorite albums ever.
10:05 AM on 11/24/08
boscorelli
destination: beautiful
User Info.
Best Christmas album ever for me, he did a great job on this, I'll be listening regularly for the next 1.5 months
10:24 AM on 11/24/08
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
I'm waiting until I'm allowed to Christmas music to jam this album. Needless to say, I'm getting antsy.
10:24 AM on 11/24/08
armour248
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He'll record another full solo album at some point...maybe after they do the new thrice cd

keep in mind he recorded this entirely while on tour...recording on the bus and in hotel rooms...consider it a sort of novelty cd and you'll enjoy it for what it's worth
10:25 AM on 11/24/08
YeahRiight
www.digmagonline.com
User Info.
its called "THIS Good Night Is Still Everywhere" FYI
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives