AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Totally Michael - Totally Michael Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5.25
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 4
Production 6
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 55%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 5.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 69%

Totally Michael - Totally Michael

Reviewed by: Caspel (11/25/08)
Totally Michael - Totally Michael
Record Label: IHEARTCOMIX
Release Date: October 14, 2008

While Totally Michael doesn’t distance itself from the rest of the pop-synth genre, the record should find a home in the collection of fans that can’t get enough of positive-influenced lyrics that they can dance to.

Totally Michael’s “standout” track would have to be “Winona” – a track that can be attributed to b-list celebrity Winona Ryder. It’s within this song that the amateur lyrics are showcased about hooking up with Ms. Ryder and her arrest for stealing clothing from a retail store. It’s here that things take a turn for the worse for the album.

The problem with Totally Michael is that, outside of the “Orchestral Interlude” and “Slow Jam,” the songs mesh together without much differentiation. There’s no range for the vocals, no harmonious choruses, and no depth to the lyrics. The only reason to throw Totally Michael into your daily rotation is for the possibility that one of the songs catches your attention with its overly repeated pop hooks – and believe me, all of the songs feature the same distinction of repetitive lyrics.

In fact, if you are prone to grow tired of immature lyrics, it’s best to avoid Totally Michael’s “Casual Stratification.” Not only does the song cover the topic of casual sex with vulgar references to both male and female genitals, but the lyrics are direct to the tee. “Well, we're here now and I, I think we're wasting time. I've got a bed, let's not take this slow,” has no hidden meanings and listeners get the point after the 25 second mark that the track is all about having sex with a stranger. Beware though, the song is potentially catchy and will get stuck in your head for the remainder of your day.

Eleven songs long, Totally Michael’s self-titled album was done and over with before I knew it. That may have been for the best because the album progressively becomes more juvenile and annoying to listen to. While I am sure Totally Michael is energetic in concert, the same energy wasn’t applied to the album. Only one song (“Casual Stratification”) will remain on my Zune and the only reason I’m allowing it to take up hard drive space is to show my friends how ludicrous the song is.

With high school behind him, Totally Michael reminisces about his childhood and doesn’t seem to let go of his childish side to create an experience that can be enjoyed by all ages. If you are in the age range of 13-17, Totally Michael may appeal to you since it’s written for a younger audience. For the majority though, Totally Michael misses his mark in his self-titled debut due to lack of originality.

Recommended if You LikeMetro Station; Relient K; All Time Low; Simple Plan; The Rocket Summer

myspace.com/totallymichael

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
02:54 PM on 12/15/09
IKvall
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw Totally Michael as an opener and his energy was more intense than the rest of the show. Or any show that I've seen ever. He gets into the crowd and they get into him. To me it seems like a 5 for vocals is way underrating since a good amount of bands have terrible vocals live. His voice could be annoying to some.

The lyrics are immature, but shock pop isn't a big genre and that's innovative and original to me.
Totally Michael is positive and upbeat. it's energetic music.

I like it. but that's one opinion.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums