AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Coldplay - Prospekt's March Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.5
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Coldplay - Prospekt's March

Reviewed by: live. (11/29/08)
Coldplay - Prospekt's March
Record Label: Capitol Records
Release Date: November 24, 2008 (USA)

If there was a book called, Critiquing Music for Dummies, somewhere inside would be a passage about how you must hate Coldplay and anything they put out. In fact, giving Coldplay poor reviews has been a growing trend over the years. The band's latest LP Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends changed that quite a bit. While it was far from their Joshua Tree, Viva La Vida was a solid album that had the band heading in the right direction.

Only 5 short months later, the most legally downloaded album of all time has yet to fade away. Despite this, Coldplay still decided to release their latest effort, Prospekt's March. The EP contains 8 tracks, including 6 brand new songs from the Viva La Vida sessions last year. The remaining tracks are "Lost +", and "Lovers in Japan (Osaka Sun Mix)". The first is the original "Lost!" as we know it with a perfect hint of Jay-Z during the bridge. "Lovers in Japan (Osaka Sun Mix)" is also very much like the original, except it is no longer attached to "Reign of Love," and contains slight differences in vocal harmonies.

Chis Martin described the new material on the EP as tracks that the band was "shy about putting out."

Wtf, mate?

These songs should have seen the light of day back in June.

The EP opens up much like Viva La Vida did. The familiar "Life In Technicolor" sets the tone, but picking up right with the guitar riff and avoiding the 50 seconds of synth. Oh yea, and they added vocals. Damn good, vocals. Martin's voice shines as he sings, "Love, don't let me go/ Won't you take me where the streetlights glow?" and leads us into the familiar lyric, "Now my feet won't touch the ground." The song closes like it did on Viva La Vida, with those stadium-sized "Oooh's."

For those of you that think Martin forgot how to man the piano, the next minute or so is for you. "Postcards From Far Away" is nothing more than a short piano interlude, but it's soft feel sets you up for the heaviest Coldplay track in ages. On "Glass Of Water" the boys give us hard-hitting guitar, complemented by some of Martin's famous falsetto. Somehow, they manage to mix in their best Muse impression and package it into something that fits in with the rest of their material.

"Rainy Day" seems to be Coldplay's most experimental track since "Yes/Chinese Sleep Chant." The opening has a tropical, Donkey Kong/Crash Bandicoot feel. The song continues on this funky trail until the return of Coldplay's new favorite friend - strings. This track is the one that requires the most patience for a typical Coldplay fan, but after a few listens it is easily my favorite, with subtle influence from The Beatles' "Rain."

After X&Y and Viva La Vida, the one knock on Coldplay was that they became too comfortable with "stadium rock". Most fans have been longing for that Parachutes sound ever since. The final two new tracks give us the closest thing to vintage Coldplay we've had in a long time. When "Prospekt's March" opened, I really thought I was listening to Parachutes. The song eventually picks up, and not in a bad way...at all. It almost has a slight "Weird Fishes" feel to it as Chris Martin sings, "Now here I lie/ On my own in a separate sky". "Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground" sounds much like the acoustic tracks on [i]X&Y{/I] but much more polished. Martin's favorite new lyric is a fitting end to the EP and the Viva La Vida story.

Recommended if You LikeColdplay - past and present

myspace.com/coldplay

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
02:02 PM on 12/06/08
Alextisonfire
User Info.
I'm really loving this right now, good review.
03:14 AM on 12/09/08
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Solid review and album.
04:42 AM on 12/09/08
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Good review. Loving the "Wtf mate?"
08:42 AM on 12/09/08
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
LOL, Crash bandicoot.
11:52 AM on 12/09/08
MnMop
User Info.
glass of water is a song that should have def been on the album. one of the better songs they have ever written.
05:24 AM on 12/12/08
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Good review mate. This EP is solid.
12:07 AM on 12/14/08
clawdawg38
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really don't like Coldplay. I don't know if it's because I don't especially like their genre or what, but I've always found everything about this band to be exceedingly...uhmmm....bad. Just nothing good here at all. Like the song Viva la Vida, or the Speed of Sound...they were just plain awful. But that's just my opinion, I'm not here to start shit.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums