AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Army Navy - Army Navy Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 7.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Army Navy - Army Navy

Reviewed by: GlamourKillsUs (12/04/08)
Army Navy - Army Navy
Record Label: The Fever Zone
Release Date: October 14, 2008

Remember the good old days of music? When songs were turned into wax, rather then compressed into small, digestible mp3 files. Back when musicians played their instruments well, in order to be successful. These certainly were the golden days for music. Now all we have on the radio are pre-set beats, made by faux-gangster, t-shirt wearing scene kids who are obsessed with shaking it (somewhere in the realm of 50 times in one song, that's right, I counted)? It's nice to see a band trying to embody an older form of music, when distorted clusters of guitars were fun, while remaining relevant and the need to overproduce something that has potential already wasn't even considered. If you're having a lot of trouble remembering these times, let's put Army Navy's debut CD on, and perhaps you'll have your memory jogged.

The album begins with the song "Dark As Days," which starts of right away with a headbobbing beat and fun guitar work, opening up the track to potential listeners and nostalgic music fans such as myself. The next track is "My Thin Sides," which is the band's first single off this album. It's obvious why this song is chosen as it is fast, catchy, and breaks down almost seamlessly before the insanely catchy chorus breaks through. This song not only sounds good on CD, one can almost feel the enthusiasm of their live show seeping through each soundbyte.

Army Navy truly have a knack for catchy riffs and an ear for melodies that evoke emotion and catchiness at the same time, which is something that's hard to do nowadays. Whether it's the acoustic tinges of "Unresponsive Ears," or the panicked guitar of "Jail Is Fine, every track possesses its own charm, which proves Army Navy have what it takes to appeal to a lot of people with their first outing.

It's obviously evident that Army Navy have written an ode to a genre that music has forgotten as of lately. Hopefully their first effort doesn't get lost in time, along with many other bands who have tried this same formula. Army Navy have the ability to make a lasting impact on music. If they keep doing what they are doing, and doing it well, we should remember them years from now.

Recommended if You Likedistorted guitars; head bobbing; clapping

myspace.com/armynavy

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
04:25 PM on 12/06/08
VHarris
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
not sure about all that old timey stuff you're talking about. this sounds completely fresh and new to me. maybe it's just new to us youngsters, but ever since hearing them on nick and norah this has been a favourite for me and my friends. deserves 5 stars by mine and my crew's tally. completely ace!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests