AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Kyle Andrews - Real Blasty Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 6.75
Production 7.75
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 74%
Inside AP.net

Kyle Andrews - Real Blasty

Reviewed by: Travis Parno (12/05/08)
Kyle AndrewsReal Blasty
Record Label: Elephant Lady Records
Release Date: August 12, 2008

You enter your bedroom and sit down at your desk. The glow of the computer screen is pale, casting a sickly white pallor over your forearms and face. The track list of Kyle Andrews’ latest release, Real Blasty, waits patiently in front you. What will you do?

a) If you’d like to find out what would happen if Ben Kweller picked up a Moog, turn to track 2, “Naked in New York.”
b) If you’re one in a long line of recovering Pete Yorn addicts, turn to track 4, “Call and Fade.”
c) If you wish Her Space Holiday would take a cue from I Married My Highschool Sweetheart and finally get happy, turn to track 8, “Blow It Out.”
d) If you didn’t completely hate Bright Eyes’ Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, turn to track 10, “I Want To Paint A Rainbow.”
e) If you’re tired of the Choose Your Own Adventure trope, continue on to the next paragraph.

Armed with an arsenal of electronic-infused piano, percussion, and pep, Kyle Andrews is the consummate adventurer. He’s got the swagger, the soul, the charm, and the wit to shine in any situation. Although Andrews holds a cool command over the digital aspects of songwriting, he has enough tact to deploy them in varied and creative ways, sprinkling beats and blips throughout his second full-length effort, Real Blasty. The album is Introspective v2.0, offering songs of love, loss, joy, and isolation set firmly in a world full to the brim with technology and innovation. Classic lines, such as those in “Put Your Hands Up” (“Do you need somebody to hold you?/ Of course you do/ Everybody wants to love”), flow alongside beautifully modern phrasing, like that plugged into “Blow It Out” (“All my kindling burns a fireburst inside my head/ And all the wires tangle like the climbing ivy wall”). It’s all the quirky, bashful honesty of plastic rimmed glasses and piano rock, doused in neon and filled with sizzling current.

Of course, Real Blasty isn’t technically a Choose Your Own Adventure novel, but it certainly has all the fun of diversity and exploration. So many musicians give into the allure of creating gloomy, angsty music because it’s often much easier than writing happiness without campiness. Andrews manages to hit both the lighter and darker sides of life while avoiding the common pitfalls of each. For all of its positive energy and electric appeal, Real Blasty is a successfully sunny slice of digital modernism.

You finish reading the review with a contented sigh. What will you do?

a) If you’d like to head to Myspace to check out Kyle Andrews for yourself, click here.
b) If you’d like to visit iTunes or Amazon to purchase Real Blasty, click here or here.
c) If you’d like to continue surfing the wide world of music, click here.
d) If you’d like to leave a nasty comment for the reviewer, close your browser and punch yourself repeatedly in the face.

Track List1. Sushi
2. Naked in New York
3. Polar Bear
4. Call and Fade
5. Tennessee Torture Dreams
6. Put Your Hands Up
7. A Constant Wavering Between the Real and the Abstract
8. Blow It Out
9. Take It to Heart
10. I Wanted to Paint a Rainbow
11. Cut and Paste
12. Bus

Give it a try if you like…Ben Kweller; Pete Yorn; I Married My Highschool Sweetheart

Hear it on the internetzOfficial Myspace | Official Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
02:26 PM on 12/05/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
hahahahahha, amazing. I was thinking about doing a choose your adventure for a school project coming up. But I can't compete with this.

Review of the year!
07:23 PM on 12/05/08
jusscali
EMO REVIVAL IS FOR BITCHES
User Info.
I actually kinda dig this guy...didn't really expect to.
09:42 AM on 12/06/08
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
hahahahahha, amazing. I was thinking about doing a choose your adventure for a school project coming up. But I can't compete with this.

Review of the year!
haha, thanks, blake! i couldn't decide where to go with it, so this format seemed appropriate
10:08 AM on 12/06/08
Wisher
eh
User Info.
hahaha this review is great. i'll definitely check out kyle andrews.
10:25 AM on 12/06/08
PassedOut
Ding!
User Info.
I totally downloaded his album on emusic the other week

Very entertaining review
10:32 AM on 12/06/08
BalancingacT
...ladies
User Info.
This review was gold.
10:48 AM on 12/06/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
One of the best reviews I've read on this site, I'm envious.
11:34 AM on 12/06/08
kolby182
kolby182
User Info.
"I was a cage" is a brilliant song by Right Away Great Captain...the new album is just what the fuck i need right now
01:58 PM on 12/06/08
meghanlail
Do you know what stars are?
User Info.
Hahaha...awesome review.

I loved his older stuff, so I will definitely check this out.
04:43 PM on 12/06/08
DarkBlue13
User Info.
hahahaha best review ive read all year. a job well done
02:53 AM on 12/07/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Great review. I will be checking this out.

After i nurse my self inflicted face punching wounds.
09:23 PM on 12/07/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Quote:
d) If you’d like to leave a nasty comment for the reviewer, close your browser and punch yourself repeatedly in the face.

that's great!

nice review man, really funny.
06:46 AM on 12/08/08
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
thanks, everyone! go check out KA!
08:28 AM on 12/08/08
stickfigures
User Info.
I downloaded this album because it was recommended to me. I was thinking it'd be one of those albums to listen to every now and then. Boy was I wrong this album is great and I find myself listening to it on a weekly basis. (I'd say daily, but that isn't always true, and I don't want to lie)
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums