AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Hip-Hop News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Hip-Hop Music Round-Up (12-06-08)

Posted by - 10:20 AM on 12/06/08
Head to the replies to read and discuss this week in Hip-Hop news brought to you by Sean.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 72
10:21 AM on 12/06/08
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Hip-Hop Round Up
News

This weeks Top R&B/Hip Hop albums according to Billboard.com:

1. Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak
2. Ludacris - Theater Of The Mind
3. Beyonce - I Am...Sasha Fierce
4. T.I. - Paper Trail
5. T-Pain - Thr33 Rings
6. E-40 - The Ball Street Journal
7. John Legend - Evolver
8. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
9. Ne-Yo - Year of the Gentleman
10. Jazmine Sullivan - Fearless

Kanye West
wants to intern at Louis Vutton.

New Orleans "legend" Lil Wayne has been nominated for 8 Grammy Awards this year. Nods include Song of the Year and Album of the Year. The ultimate in :facepalm: moments from this week.

Hardcore rapper DMX is allegedly in rehab at an undisclosed location. His attorney had this to say: “I haven't confirmed it but he's allegedly in rehab, allegedly he’s been in there since December 1, so take that for what it’s worth."

In the most exciting news this week for myself, Wale has premiered the video for his best well known and critically acclaimed track "Nike Boots". Head over to Vimeo to check it out for yourself.

Andrew @ fakeshoredrive.blogspot.com has brought a Lupe Fiasco song from the depths and upped it for our listening pleasure. Track (titled "Hustlers & Customers") is fire. Even in his young days the kid could spit.

LOUD.com is releasing a mixtape and this is the first single off of it. The Legendary Camp Lo duo featuring Styles P and Pete Rock - "OnSMASH". Freeway, Saigon, Grafh, Termanology, Skyzoo, Serius Jones, Rain, Emilio Rojas, Chaundon, Mickey Factz, Reef The Lost Cauze, The CunninLynguists and others are all confirmed to make appearances.

A tribute song/video for the tragic death of Washington Redskins football player Sean Taylor has been put together by some of his biggest fans and supporters including Grammy-nominated singer Raheem DeVaughn and Wale.

"Mickey Factz sits down with Billboard and discusses The Achievement, being on the cover of XXL Magazine, and the benefit of giving away music for free." Video can be seen here.

DJ Hyphen and J.Moore recently sat down with Detroit rappers Black Milk and Elzhi to discuss their recently released albums (Tronic and The Preface, respectively -- both two of my favorites from this year) among other things, including their inspirations and all things Detroit.

Who doesn't love a new track by The Cool Kids? More importantly, who wouldn't love a new track by The Cool Kids produced by Don Cannon? Click to Vimeo to catch a preview of a song that we're really looking forward to for the near future.

Complex Magazine
has made the first of the month not so dull anymore and dropped the much-anticipated mixtape Road to Till the Casket Drops. In the unofficial prelude to the newest album by The Clipse, the brothers Thorton really put it down in some of their most talented stuff to date.

In the very, very impressive remix to Kanye West's "Flashing Lights", singer Colin Monroe really showed the world something. Here is your chance to catch some of his new (and original) material via his new mixtape, Colin Munroe is the Unsung Hero. Featuring the likes of Skyzoo, Wale, Black Milk, Mickey Factz, Drake and more.

Download the new Jay-Z song "Brooklyn (Go Hard)" ft. Santogold here. It would appear like Santogold is in the makings to becoming the new M.I.A.. Off the Notorious (Biggie Biopic) soundtrack. What do you guys think? Personally, I am really hoping this doesn't make it to The Blueprint 3.

In other Notorious news, according to the Hollywood Insider, a producer of the upcoming biopic's soundtrack, has found demo recordings from Biggie's early days, prior to his affiliation with Bad Boy Records.

Details and discussion of today's (yes, today!) Doomtree blowout can be found here and here. If you are within a 4 hour drive to this event, GO.

Up-and-comer Blu has given Imeem the "Keys to the City" of Los Angeles.

Rock and Roll Hall-of-Fame inductee Grandmaster Flash is going to drop his first album in 10 years in Feburary. With a Feburary 23rd release date, the album will feature guest spots from KRS-One, Q-Tip, Snoop Dogg, and more.

Upon the release of Reef The Lost Cauze's new album,A Vicious Cycle, last week hiphopdx.com was able to sit down and have a chat.

In Stores this Week:
Pharcyde - Bobby Evans Mix
Brandy - Human
Musiq Soulchild - On My Radio
Common - Universal Mind Control
EPMD - We Mean Business

In Stores Now:
Mya - Sugar & Spice
Scarface - Emeritus
Akon - Freedom

------------------------------

Recommendations This Week

Sean - For methis week, it hasn't been anything but study music (college finals). So other than The Clipse mixtape and the miscellanous tracks I talked about in this weeks round-u,p there hasn't been anything in the way of hip hop. A lot of She & Him and a lot of Thee Silver Mt. Zion. See, I do listen to other things!

-------------------------------

Contributors: deadkidsean

Any questions, concerns, ideas, news/artists you want to see mentioned in next week’s Round-Up, interviews (either written by you or elsewhere [with source]) you want posted, or if you just want to plain talk hip hop, feel free to e-mail Sean at laughesn@email.uc.edu or send a Private Message to Will with “HIP HOP” in the subject line.

Please, PLEASE let us know what you think either in here or in the General Forum Hip Hop Discussion thread. We want this to get better and better with each week and are up for any and all suggestions and criticism.
10:38 AM on 12/06/08
onewheeledrider
Justin Bettman
User Info.
does anyone on this site even listen to hip hop?
10:44 AM on 12/06/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Yes.

That Lupe Fiasco track is pretty cool.
10:44 AM on 12/06/08
say ocean
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I do.
10:46 AM on 12/06/08
dat scene kid
omg wtf lolz
User Info.
I love that ya'll given mad love to Wale. I'm from MD and he's a god there. One of the hardest-working dudes out right now. Glad to see him get some props and I know everyone will hear of him soon enough. This round-up is sick guys, keep up the good work.
10:46 AM on 12/06/08
*Ro'
www.playitloudfuckers.com
User Info.
People with great taste do.

In the hip-hop news, there is also this 'Number one' track by Eminem produced by Dr. Dre that could be in the 'Detox' tracklisting...
10:53 AM on 12/06/08
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Many do.
10:57 AM on 12/06/08
williek311
User Info.
Don Cannon not Dan
11:02 AM on 12/06/08
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
Lupe has always been, and always will be, the shit.
11:06 AM on 12/06/08
Griff
It's getting fucking dark.
User Info.
Take your negativity somewhere else.

Agreed
11:21 AM on 12/06/08
dissident
the true stroker ace
User Info.
shut the fuck up loser.
11:21 AM on 12/06/08
chino.mania
killing ur d00dz
User Info.
Does anyone else think it's complete bullocks that Lil Wayne is nominated for best rap song on account of a song that he's not even necessarily rapping...not to mention I hate the song. If you're wondering the song is Lollipop.

Also you should do more underground indie hip-hop stuff.
11:27 AM on 12/06/08
ashiex3
Oh, but the world is a mess.
User Info.
i like that lupe tack.
11:32 AM on 12/06/08
spartanfan10
User Info.
I despise Lil' Wayne. Kanye just won't stop shooting himself in the foot and it's killing me. I'm just gonna have to savor Common, Mos Def, and Kweli for as long as I can.
Also you should do more underground indie hip-hop stuff.
Agreed.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version