Album Review

Marietta - This Ain't Combat EP Album Cover

Marietta - This Ain't Combat EP

Reviewed by
Marietta - This Ain't Combat EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: November 8, 2008
Who?

An unsigned metalcore band that's not going to wow people with their originality, but rather with their grasp on what keeps this a viable genre.

How is it?

This is one of those EPs that's just the right length. If it was any longer, I'm afraid that I may have tired of their fairly standard approach to metalcore. However, at this length, it's a pretty solid listen. Marietta's vocalist is the main attraction, and the vocals are pulled off without a hitch. They sound pretty raw and he mixes it up between his screaming and scattered growls. The guitarists handle themselves well, but they're not pushing out anything that's going to be particularly surprising. I do have to note the drummers ability: even with the less-than-ideal production on the kit, he manages to make a pretty good impression throughout.

The structures are pretty chaotic in most places, and they definitely stay away from sounding repetitive. Marietta switches their sound up enough from moment to moment to keep it entertaining, but they also don't fall into the jumbled-mess sound many metal acts tend to. There are very few slip-ups, and the only one that really sticks is the oddly placed synth section in "Buffalo Bill."

For those it really matters to, I'll go ahead and let you know: yes, they have breakdowns. While some of the breakdowns are a little played-out (see the end of "Buffalo Bill"), there are quite a few that are interesting, such as the dominant one in "All The King's Horses." Each track here is solid, and while Marietta may not offer up much variety between them, they're each different enough that they don't bleed together. I do have to mention "All The King's Horses" because it's easily my favorite from This Ain't Combat. The entire track is well-executed, but the part I have to specifically mention is the excellent breakdown near the end of the track where the vocalist battles over the wall of sound and begs, "This is the difference between you and I / As we watched that fire fall from the sky / Do you hold yourself to blame / Or is it just a game?"

The bottom line is: This Ain't Combat is worth a listen, particularly if you're a fan of heavier music and you're looking for something to fill your time.

Recommended if You LikeMisery Signals; Oceana

myspace.com/mariettaband
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:56 AM on 12/22/08
more heart
Endure and survive
User Info.
good review. seems like a band i'd listen to.
01:11 AM on 12/26/08
perrywinkle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this review is bull shit. i know marietta personally, and they are FUCKING AMAZING, they're the next bring me the horizon, or bmth as i call them. the singer, hunter fitch, reminds me of oli sykes. they're so good! i saw them at the door in fort worth one time and hunter fitch touched me!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos