Password

Album Review

Since Forever - Welcome to the Nightmare Album Cover

Since Forever - Welcome to the Nightmare

Reviewed by
Since Forever - Welcome to the Nightmare
Record Label: None
Release Date: October 31, 2008
Remember when you were a wee lad and used to ask your Pops if little Johnny could come over and spend the night, and he'd say no? Remember what you did next? You ran to your Mom and said, “Dad told me to ask you if Johnny could spend the night.” After hemming and hawing, she'd give in, at which point you’d run off, leaving a high-pitched squeal in your wake. Before your parental units could change their mind, you were out the door, across the street knocking on Johnny's door, no doubt packing every action figure you could find, discussing plans of how G.I. Joe and TMNT were going to take over the world.

It seems that those days aren’t too far gone, really. Except, replace your Pops with Blake Solomon and replace the ideology of a better outcome with one that is exactly the same. WTF, you ask? Well, as it would be, a magic album fairy dropped Since Forever’s EP, Welcome to the Nightmare under my pillow, asking for a review. So, I listened to it, read the review that Blake had already posted and realized why said album ended up under my pillow: someone wanted another opinion. Unfortunately for optimism, there isn’t much else to say on the subject that Blake hadn’t already said.

The album is a pleasant listen, with promise, but fell a little flat for me. Blake’s review was short, and wandered off into the woods in places, but it was pretty much how I felt about the record. “Rule # 1 of Sound” is a good opener and Zach has some pretty nice vocals to boot. It’s got a catchy, toe-tapping feel to it that is infectious. The other songs are average, at best, and I found myself thinking that the production/mixing was off, like the vocals and the instruments didn’t match up properly. It makes for uneven listening that I could never get back from. In addition, there were a few attempts at screaming that ran completely flat and would have been better left out. “Bears, Bears of Cloverfield” is probably my favorite track from the EP. It is definitely the most refined sound on the record. It has a nice ballad equilibrium to it that makes it sound leagues above the other songs.

Overall, this album has promise. The vocals are good, for the most part, and the instruments/melodies have a strong sense of potential behind them. A little honing, here and there, with the same contagious hooks/instruments, will yield a solid record that I would look for at the record store. Something tells me that Blake would, too.

Recommended if You Likevocals from Jason Dunn (Hawk Nelson), Jason Lancaster (Mayday Parade/Go Radio) and, in parts, Nick from Hit the Lights; quality instruments; potential; and Blake Solomon’s review of this album

myspace.com/sinceforever
This review is a user submitted review from MusicTalks. You can see all of MusicTalks's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
02:33 PM on 12/22/08
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
They sent it to me, too. They won't be getting a rave review from me either.
09:40 AM on 12/23/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
well i don't feel special!
05:56 PM on 12/31/08
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
Blake Solomon name drops. I approve.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News