AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Technology Round-Up (12/13/08)

Posted by - 09:44 AM on 12/13/08
A new Round-Up brought to you by Chad. Head to the replies to view and discuss this week in technology news.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
09:44 AM on 12/13/08
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Technology Round-UpMobile-related

A British doctor saved a young man's life in Congo, Africa by performing survery via text message. One must question if a phone call might have been worth the price.

While we here in the United States struggle to get electronic voting to work properly, Estonia plans to become the first country to vote by mobile phone in the upcoming election.

In a lawsuit against Apple regarding 3G speed advertisements, lawyers defending the company have stated that "no reasonable person" should believe them and thus they are not misleading.

Not safe for work iPhone applications are on the way. However, there probably won't be anything too crude or inappropriate.

For parents worried about their kids texting and talking while driving, University of Utah researchers have created a key that disables cell phone network access while the car is running.

Computer-related

The US Army has designed a computer game to help prevent soldier suicide. Yes, the same army that also put out the free promotional first-person shooter, America's Army.

Speaking of games, Spore tops the top 10 most pirated games of 2008. Let this be a lesson to PC game companies that DRM does not prevent piracy. It only punishes the legitimate consumers. Ubisoft has already stated the the upcoming Prince of Persia game will not have any DRM.

Psystar, the company selling Mac clones that is currently being sued by Apple, has shifted gears and is now counter-suing Apple for abusing their copyright.

One in five US teens has engaged in "tech sex" in which they have sent nude or partially nude photos.

The Federal Trade Commission has put an end to a massive consumer scam in which users were tricked into buying "anti-virus" software from a spyware popup ad.

Electronics-related

Tesla, the electric automobile company, has declared that they too will need a $350 million government "loan" in order to produce their four-door sedan.

People expecting to put a modchip in that Wii under the Christmas tree may find themselves out of luck. New drives render all current modchips useless.

A Canadian man has built a lifelike robot of his ideal wife. And no, she does not perform those kind of tasks...yet.

Other news from Japan, a company has created a device which may be able to display dreams on a screen. Now even the subconscious isn't be safe.

Bad news for anyone who uses TiVo to avoid advertising. Get ready for advertisements while TiVo is paused.

Tips/Tricks

For all of the last-minute shoppers, here is the important information about the last possible day to place online orders and still expect them before Christmas.

Tired of the iPhone keeping language PG despite all efforts to be profane? A simple but effective solution has been found.

--
contributed by: CyberInferno

Thanks for checking out the first technology roundup!

Please direct any comments or suggestions to cyberinferno@gmail.com (or post them in the replies).
09:47 AM on 12/13/08
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
wait while I make edits
09:53 AM on 12/13/08
JackAllTimeLow
User Info.
im super stoked for this. its like Gizmodo meets absolute punk...

AbsoluteGizmo?
09:53 AM on 12/13/08
Mirrorsandfevers
www.BasedOnNothing.net
User Info.
I like these.
09:57 AM on 12/13/08
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
All these roundups are awesome!
10:07 AM on 12/13/08
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
I think I got all of the links fixed. Let me know if some don't work.
10:09 AM on 12/13/08
Mochem
User Info.
One in five US teens has engaged in "tech sex" in which they have sent nude or partially nude photos.

Seems like it should be higher.
10:10 AM on 12/13/08
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
This is great. I'm loving these roundups.
10:11 AM on 12/13/08
Hainzey X
destiny found.
User Info.
chad ! you son of a bitch, you.
10:21 AM on 12/13/08
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
im super stoked for this. its like Gizmodo meets absolute punk...

AbsoluteGizmo?
Just wait until our Jack Barakat Round-Up.
10:24 AM on 12/13/08
starsonstrings
www.brianstowell.net
User Info.
holy fuck at that robot
10:26 AM on 12/13/08
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
Thank you all for your comments!

I think I got all of the links fixed. Let me know if some don't work.
Thanks for getting the formatting on the links worked out! I'll try to make it easier next week.

chad ! you son of a bitch, you.
I'm sneaky sneaky...
10:27 AM on 12/13/08
scottwh
Rawk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is great. I came straight from engadget to find an AP.net tech round up. Totally sweet.
10:28 AM on 12/13/08
rmar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"A Japanese man has built a lifelike robot of his ideal wife"

Is actually a man from Ontario.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles