AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Chasing Victory - A Not So Tragic Cover Up Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 6
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 64%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Chasing Victory - A Not So Tragic Cover Up

Reviewed by: Klatzke (12/13/08)
Chasing Victory - A Not So Tragic Cover Up
Record Label: Mono Vs Stereo
Release Date: 2004

A Not So Tragic Cover Up was the first real attempt the world saw of Chasing Victory. Released in 2004, it really didn't carry anything original or groundbreaking with it, but for those fans of the band (such as myself) that wished they had just one more taste of this band have it as another piece of their work.

One of the first things I notice about it is that vocalist Adam Harell makes it obvious fairly quickly that he's not going to be following the expected standard. Even in these early recordings (which don't have the best production) he makes a good impression. Whether he's showing off his lungs in "Journal Entry" or showing off his beast of a throat in "Violent and Armed," he shows that he's the dominant force on this EP. The instrumentation is solid, but it really doesn't hold a candle when Harell is taking the reigns.

As far as styling goes, it's fairly straightforward. Vocally, it's predominately singing, but they throw in scattered pseudo-breakdowns. As well, the instrumentation does the same thing. It stays mostly in a kind of mid range; it never gets too heavy, but it's not happy-go-lucky either. The songs all have the same kind of sound to them, and in places they can bleed together. On their own though, they're all pretty solid and all seem to follow the same kind of post-hardcore styling. They pull it off fairly well, but there's just nothing throughout the EP that, if I wasn't already a fan of the band, would catch and hold my attention.

In the five solid songs they put together for this EP, Chasing Victory displayed an inkling of what was to come. It doesn't hold a candle, or even a match, to their other works, but A Not So Tragic Cover Up showed that they had the potential to go somewhere.

Recommended if You LikeI Am Ghost (without the theatrics); Senses Fail

myspace.com/chasingvictory

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News