AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Capsule - Blue Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics N/A
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Capsule - Blue

Reviewed by: Viva Sonata (12/15/08)
Capsule - Blue
Record Label: Robotic Empire Records
Release Date: February 12, 2008

Have you ever listened to something and just wondered, “What the hell just happened? Did my stereo just completely shit on me and skip through the song? I hope I didn’t damage the disc.” That was my first impression upon hearing – or rather, sitting dumbfounded through – the first four tracks of Capsule’s long-awaited debut, Blue. Said tracks lasted less than two-thirty a pop and I was in awe as I heard the controlled-chaos blended style of punk and metal the band had to offer. These two lead into the fast-then-painstakingly-slow “Determinal,” which bleeds into “Blue/Green,” picks up with “Flowerpower,” and slams the record home with three more blistering tracks.

The musicianship of the three musicians is unprecedented, with math-speed-noise-hardcore tendencies that would make even the fastest, mathiest bands seem like a stumbling, slow march. The shrieking guitars grind and rush through intricate riffs, while the drums set the entire pace. Drummer and vocalist Eric Hernandez really shines on the record, with some damn impressive beats on the skin to keep all of the confusion and chaos rolling right along. The vocals also seemed to get lost in the layers and layers of crazy, but what was heard were frantic, indistinct shouts that fit the rest of the band like a glove.

If there are any complaints I have with this otherwise great disc, it would be the lack of distinction between most of the tracks. When they go fast, they can’t seem to stop, and when they do stop, it almost completely stops the record. The first four tracks could have easily been blended into one longer track. Which brings me to my next point – some of the longer tracks, like “Determinal” and “Blue/Green,” drag themselves out for too long. A few minutes could have been easily cut from the both of them - I understand that they seem to have a sort of transitional purpose, but a few minutes off of both wouldn’t hurt the altogether effort.

Nevertheless, Blue is a fantastically insane disc from a solid group.

Recommended if You LikeEd Gein; Converge; Circle Takes the Square; Portraits of Past; Jerome’s Dream

myspace.com/capsulefl

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
09:42 PM on 01/16/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Only an 8.75 on instrumentation for having "unprecedented, with math-speed-noise-hardcore tendencies that would make even the fastest, mathiest bands seem like a stumbling, slow march?"

Haha, good review though. It's not exactly my thing but you've hit the nail on the head it seems.
05:49 PM on 01/20/09
Viva Sonata
javadeer.tumblr.com
User Info.
Unprecedented for its genre, sure. That doesn't necessarily it gets an automatic ten.
05:52 PM on 01/20/09
Klatzke
User Info.
No but you'd think more than 8.75.. Not bashing you, I'm just really wondering. I usually judge bands' musicianship based on the genre they're in. Like, easier to get a 10 if you're shredding in a pop-punk band compared to a metalcore or death metal band.
06:18 PM on 01/20/09
Viva Sonata
javadeer.tumblr.com
User Info.
I suppose you're right.

Thanks for the comment nonetheless.
06:47 PM on 01/20/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Really not bashing you, these reviews are tight, I was just wondering.
07:02 PM on 01/20/09
Viva Sonata
javadeer.tumblr.com
User Info.
No, it's cool. I get that. ^^
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music