Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 9 posts.
04:30 AM on 12/16/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Very few times do you say what YOU actually THINK of the album. This is just a track-by-track description of every song.
I disagree; it's definitely in the language I used. I just strive not to use "I" in reviews unless I absolutely have to.
05:13 AM on 12/16/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
The first half is definitely stronger to me; I feel like the hip-hop cuts really kill the momentum. However, I love the hoopla on "20 Dollar".

The lyrical content really strikes me upon a few more listens. Comparing the content between their first releases to now is a tremendous parallel to four dudes living in a van to four dudes splitting hotel suites.

Good to have you back, Tony. Good work, my friend.

P.S. Costello had the Attractions; the Police were Sting's band
Thanks, and durrrrr on the PS; that's what I get for editing it for the tenth or so time at like 7 AM, so I didn't catch that. Fixed it.
05:26 AM on 12/16/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
The lyrics on this album had more relevance to me than on any of their albums since TTTYG. Maybe it's where I am in my life, maybe it's where they are in their careers, but I actually really enjoyed and agreed with some of the things they said in some lines on FAD.
05:37 AM on 12/16/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
What? No mention of "Coffee's for Closures?" The strongest song on the record and arguably one of FOB's biggest anthems to date?

Did we get the same cd?
Honestly, I already talked about the vast majority of the songs, perhaps a bit more than I originally intended to. If it didn't convince the reader to check it out, talking about one more probably won't change his or her mind. If they do listen based on this review, then it's a surprise for them to find.
07:01 AM on 12/16/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
"she's my winona" is a terrible song. i skip it every time.
It's so repetitive and some of the lyrics are bizarre; I wish it was a lot better.

Don't really care for West Coast Smoker.
12:42 PM on 12/16/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Just to mention again, I really enjoyed your review Tony, really similar thoughts. The only thing I would have changed is the score for vocals, probably would have given them a 8.75-9.
The reason I didn't do that is because Pat doesn't always enunciate very well, so it's hard for me to give (any of their CDs really) them a super-high vocal rating. He does some really cool stuff with the vocals though in terms of his delivery.

I thought about not giving the album number ratings at all but I figured that would invite more argument. Although so far it looks like most people are reading what I had to say versus just the number score so I can't and won't complain too much.
02:16 PM on 12/16/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Oh and for anyone who cares to, you can be notified next time I publish a review on AP.net by clicking my username in this post and clicking the word "Friend."

Then, next time you go to your Control Panel, when I've got a review up, you'll get a Facebook-like notification.

You can do that for any of our reviewers whose work you like to read.
07:48 PM on 12/16/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
No, I am saying that just because you change the style of music you make, it does not make it experimental. Radiohead after The Bends I would consider experimental. Folie a Deux does not present anything groundbreaking.

Folie a Deux is about as experimental as someone trying Pepsi for the first time. Everybody else already has had a taste and you can find it everywhere.

I do not see what is so experimental about crafting your music so that a wider slice of the population will find something they like in it.
Wah wah wah. The music in several cases on this album is the band EXPERIMENTING with styles they haven't explored before. You're just arguing semantics in an attempt to bolster your argument against the album.

Is the band forging a new genre or subgenre? Of course not, but nobody claimed they were.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums