Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 8 posts.
04:56 AM on 12/16/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
The first half is definitely stronger to me; I feel like the hip-hop cuts really kill the momentum. However, I love the hoopla on "20 Dollar".

The lyrical content really strikes me upon a few more listens. Comparing the content between their first releases to now is a tremendous parallel to four dudes living in a van to four dudes splitting hotel suites.

Good to have you back, Tony. Good work, my friend.

P.S. Costello had the Attractions; the Police were Sting's band
05:17 AM on 12/16/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
i started listening to the stream a few days ago and only got through like 4 or 5 songs. none were memorable and i didn't get excited about any of them. i just kind of got bored and the songs seemed to just fade into the background. i just went ahead and started listening to other music. i need to give this an honest chance, but after streaming those songs i have zero motivation to.
Same thing happened for me. I think the first half has the best material, but once I got to "Donnie," I zoned out. However, I've given it more listens and think it's a grower. Give it a chance -- out of the two major releases today, this is the best one to choose from.
02:29 PM on 12/16/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I really enjoy this album, and the review did it justice.

But I think I'm the only person who doesn't really like "What a Catch, Donnie"
I don't really like it either. Too much going on in the song (particularly by the end) and I'm not big on the tone of the song. Suppose ballad material by FOB is not really my cup of tea.
10:29 PM on 12/16/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I honestly feel like this album end at "Coffee's for Closers". Those first few songs are excellent, but everything after is as big a waste of time as most of Infinity on High was. And many might disagree, in comparison the new AAR album is EXCELLENT. I'm going to go out and just say that it's better than their original, and easily on par with Move Along. And yes, I've been a fan since the old days haha.
AAR is"excellent"? Really? I fail to see how that album does pop better than this one does. And to be fair, I would have scored this a bit lower -- however, it's certainly a solid pop album... better than the phoned-in effort AAR delivered.

Why are people arguing about FOB's standards of being a pop band? I have the feeling people arguing this have no idea what pop music is, and suspect it's strictly radio-made music, correct? Unfortunately, just about anything with a verse-chorus-verse formula and a hook is pop in some way.

FOB is taking their blueprint and messing around with it, and frankly, no matter your opinions on this disc, it's pretty evident the evolution would come to this. While I may not like some of the more R&B flavored tracks, I like the fact they are tinkering with their sound a bit. Listening to T3YG and then this doesn't throw me off in the least: essentially, it's still the same band doing what they always have, just a few changes in how it's presented.
03:08 PM on 12/17/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Fall Out Boy has found their niche in writing pop music that is both catchy and a bit different each time.

When I was listening to AAR, all I could think about was how much it sounded like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan's new material.
11:52 PM on 12/17/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Did Pete confirm that "America's Suitehearts" would be shooting a video soon? "The (Shipped) Gold Standard" is easily my favorite track after a couple days. Although its not to the level of "no brainer hit single" that "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs" was on first listen it definitely stood out on the album. There might be better songs on the album after track it at #6 but I haven't been able to get past it without wanting to start all over and listen to 1 thru 6 again.

As for AAR I can't say that I was thrilled with "Gives You Hell" but it does make a damn good middle finger to a girl who hurt you better than anything I have heard in a while. I wasn't crazy about "Dirty Little Secret" when Move Along came out but the album quickly became a favorite after just a few listens through it. I just kept hoping they would release "Move Along", as a single and they wisely did so. I still consider "Top of the World" my all time favorite AAR track and it could have been bigger if they wouldn't have half hearted a video and promotion for it as a single.

Im holding out on listening to the new one because I am gonna get it for Christmas and anticipating that I don't want to ruin the fun. To anyone who has it do you think its what we've got from them on the first two discs or have they evolved their sound some since Move Along?
You might already know my opinion, but I think it's a steep progression. If you like AAR as much as you seem to, maybe you'll still dig it. I just found the lyrical topics to be juvenile, the production to be shoddy and a pop downturn from Move Along, which sounded huge & was chockful of huge hooks.
02:19 AM on 12/18/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
That doesn't sound good. Those hooks on Move Along could have caught sharks. I can deal with sophomoric lyric if the songs are catchy enough. Who produced the album if you know off the top of your head....kinda sad that I can almost tell what to expect from people's albums by who produced them. Chris and Tom Lord Alge are fucking gold.
Eric Valentine produced it, who worked with Taking Back Sunday on their last album. He's also produced Good Charlotte & Smash Mouth. He has a very filtered sound to his technique, which I'm not a particularly big fan of.
04:39 AM on 12/18/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Anyone else think it's ironic the album title abbreviates to FAD?
Not really, considering a fad doesn't last as long as the band has.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums