Username
Password

Album Review - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 258.
04:31 PM on 12/16/08
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
Compared to Fall Out Boy's previous works, this is most certainly experimental, as Tony said FOB has never done anything remotely close to Headfirst Slide...Not sure how you would consider this not experimental
Folie a Deux is about as experimental as someone trying Pepsi for the first time. Everybody else already has had a taste and you can find it everywhere.

I do not see what is so experimental about crafting your music so that a wider slice of the population will find something they like in it.
04:33 PM on 12/16/08
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
I have never been a huge fall out boy fan but after reading this review this album looks really good. I totally got pick it up
Don't do it dude!
04:41 PM on 12/16/08
Broclee
Dude, this is so Inception.
User Info.
This album further continues my disappointment with FOB...just like someone said earlier they now are a POP band which seriously is sad...I fell in love with From Under The Cork Tree and then I was given the 180 degree change that was Infinity On High...that album and this album are ghastly...yes yes Patrick gets to show his range, they get to throw in new musical styles, and FOB gets to jab at the haters lyrically but I seriously think as FOB continues their career as a POP band they are going to have a revolving door fan base...with each album they are going to piss off a once loyal branch of their fans and the place of those fans will be filled in with new fans that heard and loved FOB's latest single on the radio...they will lose lots of fans (such as myself) as the years go on but do to their pop-culture popularity their records will continue to sell like crazy
I don't think Fall Out Boy has gained any new fans that have never heard of them with "I Don't Care."

I don't think anything like that has happened since "Sugar, We're Going Down," before they were on the radar of the common man and woman.

The problem is that so many Fall Out Boy fans want to keep the same Fall Out Boy that wrote Take This To Your Grave, and when it doesn't happen, they get pissy and leave. It's been happening for two albums now.

But I don't think it's true to say that with every album they gain new fans based off the singles. Thnks Fr Th Mmrs may have been a huge single, but I would personally think that most of the world knew about Fall Out Boy before its release, it just happened to be a chart-topping hit.

If you live in the world today and know anything about true pop music, you know who Fall Out Boy are.

That's just my opinion.
04:52 PM on 12/16/08
muzikool
Monday Nihilist, Friday Optimist
User Info.
wow! the first unbiased review of fall out boy's new album, nice!
04:56 PM on 12/16/08
SeanEBoy2686
twitter = SeanAndHeard
User Info.
I agree about this album leaving Infinity on High in the dust... it is a far superior because of it's quality throughout. Great lyrics, catchy beats, smooth vocals... everything we've grown to like about these guys. However, the biggest reason this album stands out to me is the use of Lil Wayne, Pharrell, Elvis Costello, Debbie Harry, and Brendan Urie. Their guest parts fit perfectly with the sound of the album. Overall it has greatly exceeded my expectations.
05:17 PM on 12/16/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I absolutely cannot stand even one song on this album. Way too overproduced. Good review, but this band is not for me anymore and I would not call this album experimental, I would call it they are a pop band now. Their drummer is so good and his talent is being wasted in this band.
Are you saying that ab album can't be experimental and pop at the same time?
05:19 PM on 12/16/08
iszy25
User Info.
Good review, and I agree with the statement about a little too much going on in certain places, but overall I think this was a pretty solid album for them.
05:39 PM on 12/16/08
Jason Tate
User Info.
This album further continues my disappointment with FOB...just like someone said earlier they now are a POP band which seriously is sad...I fell in love with From Under The Cork Tree and then I was given the 180 degree change that was Infinity On High...that album and this album are ghastly...yes yes Patrick gets to show his range, they get to throw in new musical styles, and FOB gets to jab at the haters lyrically but I seriously think as FOB continues their career as a POP band they are going to have a revolving door fan base...with each album they are going to piss off a once loyal branch of their fans and the place of those fans will be filled in with new fans that heard and loved FOB's latest single on the radio...they will lose lots of fans (such as myself) as the years go on but do to their pop-culture popularity their records will continue to sell like crazy
Fall Out Boy have always been a pop band.
06:00 PM on 12/16/08
justinmfi
Justinmfi
User Info.
Very Good Review....and as far as the album goes for me....Awesome...been waiting awhile for some good FOB to listen to, and here it is!!
06:08 PM on 12/16/08
Bakerofpies17
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Liking the new album more than I expected. Only listened to it a few times but it will probably be my favorite since Take This to Your Grave.
06:16 PM on 12/16/08
Dm!tr! the !st
need new username.
User Info.
I personally love this album. It may not be the same FOB sound that you were listening to on TTTYG but it is still a great sound. If fans want to leave this band becasue they want them to stay the same then they should leave. FOB is obviously not a static band, and is still a very decent band, they make great pop songs and they made great pop-punk.

On a side note I was very impressed with Lil Waynes vox on "Tiffany Blews". I thought he'd ruin but I prefer it to Pat singing it (its on youtube) and he says one of my favorite quotes. Kudos for a good guest spot. But "w.a.m.s." is the only song I have a problem with. The interlude "Mama" at teh end coudl have been scrapped it doesnt flow to teh next track IMO. And lastly "Pavlove" should have made the cut. To me it seems like IOH & FUCT track perfectly evolved (it has not synth either so I guess Avron may not have produced that track.)
06:57 PM on 12/16/08
friskycurtain
Registered Member
User Info.
Fall Out Boy have always been a pop band.
take it you have never heard Take This To Your Grave or Evening Out With Your Girlfriend
06:58 PM on 12/16/08
fishingthe_sky
armadillohotel.blogspot.c om
User Info.
I feel like this cd mirrors the format of the old 12' records. Side A is every track up to "What a Catch," side B is everything after. That being said, I think that the side A of the cd is topped only by TTTYG. "Disloyal Order" is their best opening track yet, "Coffee's for Closures" is one of the best songs they've ever written, "What a Catch" is a great closer, and all the other tracks not mentioned are pretty solid. Side B, on the other hand, sucks. I get that Fall Out Boy is transcending genres in ways that haven't been done before, but it just doesn't click for me. The only track that's really worth listening to is "20 Dollar Nosebleed," which I love for it's big band jazz feel. It's like the b-side gem that should have been on the actual album.
07:02 PM on 12/16/08
friskycurtain
Registered Member
User Info.
But I don't think it's true to say that with every album they gain new fans based off the singles. Thnks Fr Th Mmrs may have been a huge single, but I would personally think that most of the world knew about Fall Out Boy before its release, it just happened to be a chart-topping hit.

I'm sure people knew of FOB before Thnks Fr Th Mmrs (how couldn't you know) but I think people that had never really listened FOB or weren't into the Sugar We're Going Down sound soon gravitated to Infinity on High because it was something new from them
07:10 PM on 12/16/08
bloodyr0mance87
User Info.
very, very good review. not like i wasn't going to pick this up anyway, but now i'm really intrigued.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums