AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Starting Line - 06.09.05

Interviewed by
The Starting Line - 06.09.05First off, I just want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to sit down and answer a few questions for us.

Anytime.

So all the readers know who we are talking to, introduce yourself and tell us what you do in The Starting Line.

I am Kenny, I play bass and guitar sometimes and I sing.

Where did the name The Starting Line come from and is there any significance behind it?

Matt Watts thought it up when were desperately looking for a name to replace Sunday Drive, it has no real significance to anything.

Where did everyone in the band meet and how long have you guys known each other?

Matt and Mike were the only two that really knew each other before the band formed. I met Matt over the internet and he met Tom through friends. We've been friends for over six years now.

The band has just released their new album "Based On A True Story". What did you guys go through in the writing process and did you find it harder writing this one then "Say It Like You Mean It"?

It was a real battle to record b.o.a.t.s. We had a lot of difficulty locking in a producer at first, so even when we felt we were ready to go in and make this record we were forced to re-evaluate all of the songs. That was the most difficult part of the process, all of the writing felt very inspired and natural.

What is the normal writing process that the band goes through?

It usually goes one of two ways. Either a couple of us are jamming and we stumble onto
a tasty groove or I have an idea to show the rest of the guys that we build off of. Lyrics come at a much later date, those are what I always second guess the most.

Now this album took a while to finally be released, where you guys trying to make sure that the next album was above the last one or was there really any certain reason for the wait?

We were ready months upon months before we went in to record. The hold up was between producer problems and a record label unsatisfied with our demos.

Have you been happy with all the promotion and excitement it has gotten previously and after the release?

There is no way I could not be happy about what's going on, I feel like its all starting over again and our band is in a great place. I hope it keeps up.

Now the new album has a different sound from the first one, was there something that played a key part in the inspiration for this album?

We were definitely starved of an artistic outlet for a while being on tour playing the same songs for over two years. So when we had the opportunity to create again we knew we couldn't waste our time, we had to make music that would be fun to play two more years from now. Our influences have also matured a lot since we started the band. I've on a heavy diet of artists ranging from James Brown and Van Morrison to Every Time I Die and Radiohead.

The production on this album is amazing, who did you guys work with?

Thank you, and Tim O'heir (The Jealous Sound, Say Anything, AAR) thanks you. Tim produced 9 of the 12, Howard Benson reworked 2 (complements of geffen), and we cut track 1 with Eric Rachel (ETID, Scarlet, Atreyu).

A lot of fans from the previous album seemed to be shocked to see how much you had changed. What do you say to people thinking that there is such a drastic change?

I say: Stop living in the past. Every band should make a conscious effort to improve their music, if you stay the same then you are just a one trick pony. I still think we have room grow and go even further out on limbs with our music, so people need to prepare themselves for change.

On that note, have you guys noticed the fans being so surprised by your long hair?

Hmm. No...hadn't really heard anything.

I read somewhere that you guys are going to be playing the main stage at warped tour. I remember going to see you guys on the drive-thru stage a few years ago. Is it crazy to think you were playing one of the side stages and now your on the main stage?

It's totally crazy. I'm still blown away to have an opportunity to be a part of something that big.

I also read that the band is going to be heading out with fall out boy after warped, Is that true? And if so, how did you guys get set up with that tour?

My girlfriend told me she read that we going on tour with FOB on Absolutepunk.

What has been the best experience in the last few years if you had to pick just one?

Probably coming home to play a show at the TLA a few days after BOATS was released. That was the loudest singing I've ever heard at one of our shows and it was during the new songs. i hadn't felt something like that in a long time.

Does the band have any really really crazy tour stories that they would like to share?

When we get really nuts we are usually too blitzed to remember anything. Although, we celebrated my 21st in Atlantic City and had some fun. I remember being handed a shot of some shitty warm whiskey and immediately throwing up into the same glass and hiding it under the table. It was awesome.

So, I have asked a few bands but all the girls want to know I'm sure. Boxers or Briefs?

You can tell the girls to call me Arnold... cause I'm going commando.

What has been your favorite album to be released this year?

Days Away "Mapping An Invisible World" These guys need to be listened to by more people, they are incredible and highly underestimated.

What are some of your current favorite bands that you have been listening to lately?

I've been getting down to The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Cornelius, Deerhoof, National Skyline, mewithoutYou, Rescue, Owen, Doves, Fugazi, and so much more. Ipods rule!

I guess that about raps it up, I thank you again for taking the time to talk with us. Is there anything you would like to say to all the fans and readers out there in the Absolutepunk.net world?

Russell Crowe got arrested...thats awesome! Peace.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
11:01 AM on 06/09/05
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by Brandon Herbel
What are some of your current favorite bands that you have been listening to lately?

I've been getting down to The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Cornelius, Deerhoof, National Skyline, mewithoutYou, Rescue, Owen, Doves, Fugazi, and so much more. Ipods rule!
Holy shit, Kenny likes awesome music. Haha.
01:45 PM on 06/09/05
snowplow
Ocean blue paint it white
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I also read that the band is going to be heading out with fall out boy after warped, Is that true? And if so, how did you guys get set up with that tour?

SO does that mean its not ture or what???
03:13 PM on 06/09/05
konstantine94
The City That Reads
User Info.
i was wondering the same thing
03:29 PM on 06/09/05
yourignition
User Info.
yes it is, with fall out boy and boys night out
07:25 PM on 06/09/05
SicTrnsitGloria
Kills you by age eight.
User Info.
im suprised he didnt say say anything as one of his favorite bands.
08:05 PM on 06/09/05
eversochili
bowler extraordinaire
User Info.
Originally Posted by snowplow

No, it's true. They're touring with FOB and Motion City Soundtrack this fall...I know this because it's one of several acts we're considering as a fall show at my school.
12:36 PM on 06/10/05
EndorsePunk
Guilty of Bad Taste
User Info.
Haha. Ive been a fan of The Starting Line for a while and their new album seems kind of promising. And yes kenny, Ipods do rule. Preferrably a Mini Blue =]
07:51 PM on 06/10/05
actionandaction
chaos ain't me
User Info.
Originally Posted by Brandon Herbel
I guess that about raps it up, I thank you again for taking the time to talk with us. Is there anything you would like to say to all the fans and readers out there in the Absolutepunk.net world?

Russell Crowe got arrested...thats awesome! Peace.

Ahaaha. Nice.
01:57 PM on 06/23/05
SushiSoho
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by snowplow

i heard the same thing. i hope its true.
12:16 PM on 11/13/05
CrenshawKiss714
User Info.
Funny how I come here like a million years later and see that the rumors were true. Some of these kids work harder then the fucking fbi to find shit. Kenny is the best, nicest person ever.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos