AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
The All-American Rejects - When the World Comes... Album Cover

The All-American Rejects - When the World Comes...

Reviewed by
The All-American Rejects - When the World Comes Down
Record Label: Doghouse / Interscope
Release Date: December 16, 2008
After being a fervent supporter of The All-American Rejects’ self-titled album, and Move Along, I was eager to hear their latest work of genius, When the World Comes Down, not only because it had been three years since Move Along, but because of the negativity from numerous individuals who have written reviews on this album. I witnessed, as did many other individuals, the six month progression of this specific album from inception to its culmination and how the band put tremendous effort into making this album.

The All-American Rejects are in all probability one of the only bands that I know of that permitted their fans, or anyone for that matter, to watch them via web cam (Justin TV) or Kyte phone, so that one could truly appreciate how each and every song comes together in the studio.

Eric Valentine, who produced this current album and has produced other such albums for Smash Mouth, Third Eye Blind, Taking Back Sunday, and Good Charlotte, appeared to have lived in the studio with the incalculable hours he put into When the World Comes Down, and once I bought the actual album, I caught sight of what a perfectionist Mr. Valentine truly is. Conversely, if one desires an album that is just thrown together almost every year for the sake of providing another album to the public with no rhyme or reason, then Fall Out Boy would almost certainly be more up your alley.

But if you are looking for an enjoyable combination of their self-titled album and Move Along, then one will not be dissatisfied with When the World Comes Down.

“Gives You Hell” is their first released single off this present album, and it does not disappoint. It is something very unlike what they have done before, but it is meant to have that cartoon-like feel. It captured my attention relatively fast due to the captivating lyrics and sound.

“Another Heart Calls” is a duet with The Pierces that starts out slow, and then essentially when one doesn’t anticipate it, gets more intense and heavier as it progresses. “Talk to me, I’m throwing myself in front of you, this could be the last mistake that I would ever want to do, all I ever do is give, it’s time you see my point of view” are lyrics that may appeal to individuals with those same sentiments.

“Real World” has a heavier edge as lead vocalist Tyson Ritter displays a sinister side of the world today and the essential need for change with lyrics such as, “Look out the window at the sky that doesn't care, I look up for the sun but it's not there, the rivers flood and the ground beneath me shakes, turn your eyes, I bet you hope that window breaks, you hope it breaks, but still I know, that you can make the change.”

The bonus track, “Sunshine,” is a very moving song with such lyrics as, “It's a new day it's a bright day, even when you stand in the dark,” with the orchestra playing in the background. It reminded me of previous albums where The All-American Rejects also incorporated the orchestra.

The All-American Rejects have not veered off of what they are known for: making memorable, inspirational, and poignant songs. What they do prove, however, in their latest album is that with each album they have put out, they have not only grown lyrically, they have grown as individuals as exhibited in their views on change and life in general, all while achieving a unique sound that is all their own.

Recommended if You Likethe sensitivity of blink-182 and the pop chops of Jimmy Eat World

myspace.com/allamericanrejects
This review is a user submitted review from Dee2009. You can see all of Dee2009's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 64
03:02 AM on 12/24/08
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You seriously think the lyrics on here are and 8.5? Once I saw that I couldn't bear to read your review.
12:58 PM on 12/24/08
kesto4
User Info.
You seriously think the lyrics on here are and 8.5? Once I saw that I couldn't bear to read your review.
The lyrics are actually quite good. Just because the first track has weak and cliche lyrics doesn't mean they all do. 'Mona Lisa', 'Another Heart Calls', 'Back To Me', 'The Wind Blows', and 'Sunshine' all have great lyrics.
03:23 PM on 12/24/08
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The lyrics are actually quite good. Just because the first track has weak and cliche lyrics doesn't mean they all do. 'Mona Lisa', 'Another Heart Calls', 'Back To Me', 'The Wind Blows', and 'Sunshine' all have great lyrics.
Even the staff review pointed out how embarrassing the lyrics are. I see no possible way to classify these as good lyrics unless your like 14.
04:19 PM on 12/24/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
The lyrics are terrible and so is this album, also, the shot at Fall Out Boy was idiotic. AAR wish they could've released an album like Folie A Deux, which was written, recorded, and produced far better than this piece of shit.
08:19 PM on 12/24/08
mikeoftheyear
User Info.
love it!
12:16 AM on 12/25/08
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
The lyrics are terrible and so is this album, also, the shot at Fall Out Boy was idiotic. AAR wish they could've released an album like Folie A Deux, which was written, recorded, and produced far better than this piece of shit.
I agree with you. This review is so terrible it's LOL-worthy.
03:33 PM on 12/25/08
giovanni_c
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nearly every category looks rated a little too high here. I just don't see how they've stepped it up since Move Along to warrant this praise.
09:12 AM on 12/26/08
fran.182
Euphoric disconnection
User Info.
I would give the album a 73%
09:33 AM on 12/26/08
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
"Another Heart Calls" is a clutch song and there are a few others, but no thanks to the rest. Additionally, to somehow say that an album can't be good because it was released a year after their previous one is just ridiculous. On that note, waiting 3 years to release an album certainly won't guarantee that it's good - case in point AAR. You probably watched their feed 24/7 and would be the 14-16 year old group that the album caters too. Attacking FOB, as a When The World Come Downs lobbyist throws your credibility swiftly out the window.
10:14 AM on 12/26/08
losnoufy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the sensitivity of blink-182? really?

but yeah...i haven't heard this album yet. i will say their first album is one of my favorite nostalgia cd's, and move along was a bit disappointing (except for a few guilty pleasure songs), probably because my taste had changed pretty drastically by then. i haven't heard a good thing about this album until now. i enjoy the single, but mostly because i think it's humorous, not a good song at all. i am going to steal this album though because for some odd reason i love the all american rejects, even though that aren't very good. and i doubt this album is very good. and even besides that, this is an extremely poorly written review. just because you say "one" instead of "you" and randomly throw in big boy words like "essentially" and "fervent" doesn't mean that it isn't a linguistic and grammatical mess. i'm sorry...i don't mean to be a dick but the journalism major in me couldn't hold his tongue. it really sucks and i hate to say it, but the fact that this review looks like it was written by a 5-year-old is really going to make it hard for me to take this album seriously upon first listen.
10:36 AM on 12/26/08
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
the sensitivity of blink-182? really?

but yeah...i haven't heard this album yet. i will say their first album is one of my favorite nostalgia cd's, and move along was a bit disappointing (except for a few guilty pleasure songs), probably because my taste had changed pretty drastically by then. i haven't heard a good thing about this album until now. i enjoy the single, but mostly because i think it's humorous, not a good song at all. i am going to steal this album though because for some odd reason i love the all american rejects, even though that aren't very good. and i doubt this album is very good. and even besides that, this is an extremely poorly written review. just because you say "one" instead of "you" and randomly throw in big boy words like "essentially" and "fervent" doesn't mean that it isn't a linguistic and grammatical mess. i'm sorry...i don't mean to be a dick but the journalism major in me couldn't hold his tongue. it really sucks and i hate to say it, but the fact that this review looks like it was written by a 5-year-old is really going to make it hard for me to take this album seriously upon first listen.

Yet, somehow it was a lot easier to read than your heap of a mess posted above.
10:40 AM on 12/26/08
DarkBlue13
User Info.
hahaha i love how brutal people on this site are. in all honesty i really like a few of the songs on this cd, namely gives you hell, mona lisa, and another heart calls. unfortunately the lyrics on the rest of the cd are weaker than shit. overall: 70%

maybe thats even too high
10:50 AM on 12/26/08
wtfTouchMyBalls
User Info.
i don't get how the other reviews called out the lyrics. they even pointed out the line "breakin' is what the heart is for."

i mean that doesn't really bother me but when the glass passenger is praised and has the lyrics "big hearts are for breakin'" then i don't know.

overall this cd is great and i'm glad someone else thinks so. good review.
11:02 AM on 12/26/08
losnoufy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yet, somehow it was a lot easier to read than your heap of a mess posted above.
yeah.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version