AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Adele - 19 Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Adele - 19

Reviewed by: MusicTalks (12/18/08)
Adele - 19
Record Label: Columbia Records
Release Date: June 10, 2008 (USA)

A few years ago, we heard Paul Revere tell us that the British were coming, the British were coming. Eh, we didn’t really care, did we? I can’t really remember what happened when they came, but it was probably pretty stupid. What nobody told us was that a few years later, The Beatles were coming. Now, that we all remember, and it was pretty sweet. In the few years since, we’ve seen some great things come out of Britain. We’ve got the faux hawk, Austin Powers, metrosexual scarves, Madonna’s accent, a few good Guy Ritchie movies, sketchy dental hygiene, amazingly cool accents, spelling words different – like favourite, David Beckham, The Spice Girls, and Harry Potter. I am here to add one more really cool thing to that list: Adele.

If you haven’t heard of her, I’m pretty sure that you will. If you have heard of her, then you know how frickin’ awesome she is, right? I can’t really escape mentioning Amy Winehouse, because, let’s face it, when you think of music and Britain and female, you think of Amy Winehouse. You also think about death and anorexia and psych wards too, but that’s not the point. She is what you think about when those words arise. If you say Leona Lewis, you’re lying. If you say Lady Gaga, you’re terrible and have misinformation. And if you say The Spice Girls, it’s because I already mentioned them. Plus, what Adele has that Winehouse doesn’t have, besides the obvious, is a future. Her debut album, 19, is proof of that. Released in mid-2008 here in the States, the album has seen modest success. Most people haven’t heard of her, but have probably heard her songs. Her single ”Chasing Pavements” was featured on Grey’s Anatomy and she has been on Saturday Night Live, Conan O’Brien, and recently, on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

19 (written and released when she was only 19) embodies a new, mellow, quiet neo-soul album. Adele’s vocals are unassuming, but absolutely incredible. While she might not have the sultry vocals that Winehouse has, she still has a set of pipes and the control of someone who has been singing for twenty years. “Day Dreamer” opens the album and is a soft, acoustic song that accents her vocal control. Songs like “Best For Last,” “Chasing Pavements,” “Melt My Heart To Stone,” and “My Same” are some of the best, but honestly, there isn’t one bad song on this album. The album is pretty raw and organic, lacking layers of instruments and vocals, which makes it so incredible. My personal favorite is “Right as Rain” because of the simple beats, faster pace, great chorus, and soulful feel to it. And when the album is over, you simply want to listen to it again and again. It’s a rare record that I could listen to at any time, in any place.

Of the albums released in 2008, this is in my top five, for sure. And, there are a few weeks left in 2008 to make this one of your favorites. I’m sure it will be in there. Then again, you could have been serious about The Spice Girls thing. In which case, I would recommend a lofty cliff and a blindfold.

Recommended if You LikeDuffy - Rockferry; Amy Winehouse; control; soulful heartache; the British

myspace.com/adelelondon

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
11:29 AM on 12/30/08
iheartmusic043
KKCO
User Info.
I'm so glad I'm not the only person in the U.S. that thinks Adele is amazing. That girl can really sing. She's not like any of the other "neo-soul" girls from the U.K. All Amy talked about how she was "no good" and how she liked to drink and Duffy was ok but too poppy. Adele has the most soulful voice, like Etta James with a modern twist. Chasing Pavements is a beautiful song and has a really cool video. It's the perfect song for when you first like someone. Also I love Cold Shoulder. Her attitude, along with Mark Ronson's great production makes that song so upbeat even though it's about being in a relationship where the guys is starting to lose interest in you.
11:33 AM on 12/30/08
thisyear__xx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love her music.
She has an amazing voice.
11:37 AM on 12/30/08
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
I'm so glad I'm not the only person in the U.S. that thinks Adele is amazing. That girl can really sing. She's not like any of the other "no-soul" girls from the U.K. All Amy talked about how she was "no good" and how she liked to drink and Duffy was ok but too poppy. Adele has the most soulful voice, like Etta James with a modern twist. Chasing Pavements is a beautiful song and has a really cool video. It's the perfect song for when you first like someone. Also I love Cold Shoulder. Her attitude, along with Mark Ronson's great production makes that song so upbeat even though it's about being in a relationship where the guys is starting to lose interest in you.

I love her music.
She has an amazing voice.

Totally agree and it's even more amazing live.
12:23 PM on 12/30/08
mushroom
I Knew Alfred J Prufrock
User Info.
Didn't expect to see this album on this site, pleasent surprise though.
12:45 PM on 12/30/08
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
Didn't expect to see this album on this site, pleasent surprise though.

I just had to, she's too good. Regardless of genre.
01:37 PM on 12/30/08
ashesofapril234
Spicher
User Info.
Totally agree and it's even more amazing live.
I agree I didn't really know who she was and I watched her set at bonnaroo this past summer and was instantly hooked.
02:58 PM on 12/30/08
wildlike
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
19 was one of the best albums of the year.
03:38 PM on 12/30/08
bifforama1
@cahayes2
User Info.
8.5 ON VOCALS?! Her voice is absolutely ASTOUNDING!
09:32 PM on 12/30/08
dashboard1190
skinny love
User Info.
One of my favorite albums of the year.
11:13 AM on 01/02/09
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
8.5 ON VOCALS?! Her voice is absolutely ASTOUNDING!

8.5 is a high score. I could never rank someone a 10, so realistically, my usual high score is about 9.5. I'd say that 8.5 = astounding, at least it is on my scale.
11:56 AM on 07/11/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
I'm so glad I'm not the only person in the U.S. that thinks Adele is amazing. That girl can really sing. She's not like any of the other "neo-soul" girls from the U.K. All Amy talked about how she was "no good" and how she liked to drink and Duffy was ok but too poppy. Adele has the most soulful voice, like Etta James with a modern twist. Chasing Pavements is a beautiful song and has a really cool video. It's the perfect song for when you first like someone. Also I love Cold Shoulder. Her attitude, along with Mark Ronson's great production makes that song so upbeat even though it's about being in a relationship where the guys is starting to lose interest in you.
Your not. I adore Hometown Glory, Chasing Pavements... etc.... Usually I dislike this kind of music, but I'm a HUGE sucker for pianists/keyboardists in bands (TDWP, Chiodos, Regina Spektor) so that could explain my love for this artist. Also her voice is astounding... maybe a 9.5... i have to agree with Music Talks that 10 for vocals is stupid. Every singer has their faults.

Also, since when was the faux hawk cool? Be a man, shave the sides.
12:30 PM on 07/25/10
amii_G
H vs H
User Info.
Nice review, dude. Been spinning this lately and forgot just how good she really is. Hope she releases something soon.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums