Album Review

Artist Vs Poet - Artist Vs Poet EP Album Cover

Artist Vs Poet - Artist Vs Poet EP

Reviewed by
Artist Vs Poet - Artist Vs Poet EP
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: November 18, 2008
Shed a tear. Break a yawn. Take a nap.

It’s just another pop-punktronica album. While not nearly as contaminated as what the screamo/electronica genre has already lowered itself to be, current electropop is nipping at its heels, fighting for the position of being the crowned meridian of everything many music enthusiasts have worked so hard to efface – the chocolate chip cookie cutter “we all sound the same!” style.

Artist Vs. Poet almost fits like some baggy pants in this copycat genre. Artist Vs. Poet EP is essentially what all the scene peeps have been feasting on in their Warped Tour-infatuated rooms – some familiar Forever the Sickest Kids filling, a resolute Mercy Mercedes crust and a cute Every Avenue cherry for completion. It literally only takes a meager 3 seconds into the opener, “Runaway,” to fully comprehend every nook and cranny of Artist Vs. Poet’s sound. No more than 4-chords a song? Check. Splattered beats? Check. Nasally vocals? Oh baby, check. Well, at least there’s a scintilla of variety in lyrical themes (ie. regarding how hard life can be), but never deeper than, “It’s hard to keep on fighting / When all you know is losing.”

So why only almost a copycat scene record? There’s value in pointing out the final track, “All In.” The chorus poignantly yet proudly proclaims “Four chords, six strings / This is what we want our lives to be / We’re all in.” Here, Artist Vs. Poet lays out their passion. No, not a promiscuous passion, or a monetary passion, or even a “let’s get wasted!” passion. Leave those passions to true, little-talent scene bands like The Maine. Instead, Artist Vs. Poet sings of a passion for music, for which they’ve forfeited much and poured their lives into. At least that much is honorable. And at least that is what will enable them to survive as a band in the meantime. But first, they need to find their niche and distinguish themselves from “everybody else.” They need to stop following trends and drink from some potion of originality. Ultimately, they need to reevaluate the records they’re making. Then perhaps people will be able to look past the generic smokescreen that is Artist Vs. Poet EP.

Recommended if You LikeForever the Sickest Kids; The Maine; Mercy Mercedes; Every Avenue; We the Kings

myspace.com/artistvspoet
This review is a user submitted review from Matthew Tsai. You can see all of Matthew Tsai's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
10:19 AM on 12/30/08
blebbio
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I enjoy all the RIYLs but really dislike this EP.
11:06 AM on 12/30/08
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
This was an amazingly well-written review. I'm glad you didn't just bash on it, because even unoriginal bands can display some talent. Great job.
09:56 AM on 12/31/08
iheartmusic043
KKCO
User Info.
I like this band. Runaway is a good song, not origional but good nonetheless. The song I really like by AVP is Lisa Marie. It's such a cute song and has a pretty melody. Music doesn't have to be complicated to be good. Also I have to disagree about the song All In. It;s one of my least favorites because the lead singer's voice is nasally on it. Good review though
11:20 AM on 12/31/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
This was an amazingly well-written review. I'm glad you didn't just bash on it, because even unoriginal bands can display some talent. Great job.

12:24 PM on 04/15/09
amberlovesyou
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I must say, this WAS very well written.
BUT however completely WRONG.
I dont mean to get too opinionated but your kinda the average hoe-hum attitude.
You mean to sit here and say...they all sound the same. & yet they have deeper lyrics then all the same sounded pop music.

Im just saying, i went to their concert and besides the fact that they all were super down to earth and sweet (i actually keep in touch..we take them to dinner every time they come back) but they had a GREAT live show, and their voices flowed amazingly. Their chemistry is fanominal.

Its just very upsetting that shit talking reviews like these give people the wrong impression. Their lyrics are relatable and their music is quite fantastic. Perhaps if everyone would just listen to their EP im sure you would fall in love.

Their making their mark in the music industry just like everyone else, they deserve a chance. Like you said...its their dream, their not just using music to get wasted.

the videos are hilarious. Youtube.com/artistvspoet and myspace.com/artistvspoet

PLEASE & THANKS<3

really the sweetest guys in the world

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums