AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Useless ID - The Lost Broken Bones Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 81%

Useless ID - The Lost Broken Bones

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (12/19/08)
Useless ID - The Lost Broken Bones
Record Label: Suburban Home Records
Release Date: October 21, 2008

Who?

One of Israel's most successful punk rock outfits, if not the only successful one (well, them and Man Alive). Useless ID was a Kung Fu Records staple for several years, releasing three critically successful full-lengths (and a split with The Ataris in 2000) before moving to Suburban Home to record their latest disc, The Lost Broken Bones. Born from the same pop-punk sound bands like No Use For a Name and MxPx came from, it's evident the 1990's skate-punk revolution has yet to die with these dudes.

How is it?

Produced by Bill Stevenson and Jason Livermore (Less Than Jake, NOFX), the album has many darker elements compared to their work with Kung Fu. The band is obviously making some adjustments in their sound and not just in their personnel -- and these changes are more than welcome, bringing serious depth to their pop-punk-friendly sound. "Isolate Me" will introduce unfamiliar ears to a band that is confident with their style, presenting lyrics on alienation & claustrophobia, combined with some killer riffs. "Killing a Ghost" destroys with a devastatingly addicting chorus, while "Blood Pressure" boils up a bucket of paranoia & faith, all with blinding fury ("It's the fear of the dark when you're all alone and someone is watching over you"). The vast progression in sound from 2001's Bad Story, Happy Ending is assisted by Stevenson's rich production value, and also by Horin's songwriting, revolving around heavier thematic material (even the artwork is modeled in a darker fashion than past records). Focusing on the insecurities of human nature and the hope that eventually comes from investigating one's self, The Lost Broken Bones may not be as solid as 2005's Redemption, but you could certainly do a hell of a lot worse. For this price, it's well-worth the discovery and a pleasant revisit for old fans alike.

Recommended if You LikeNo Use For a Name's More Betterness; The Ataris' End is Forever; MxPx's Secret Weapon
Choice Cuts"Killing a Ghost," "Isolate Me" & "Blood Pressure"

Track Listing1. Isolate Me
2. Killing a Ghost
3. Mouse in a Maze
4. Undecided
5. Blood Pressure
6. Shallow End
7. Night Stalker
8. Always the Same
9. Misconception
10. Already Dead
11. Give It Up
12. One Way Down
Band MembersYotam Ben Horin: vocals/bass
Guy Carmel: guitar/vocals
Ishay Berger: guitar/vocals/acoustic guitar
Jonathan Harpak: drums/keys/vocals

Online VitalsOfficial Site | Official Myspace
PurchaseAmazon MP3

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18.
04:51 AM on 12/19/08
allhollows86
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Its good to hear someone actually making good pop punk these days
04:52 AM on 12/19/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Wow, I didn't know these guys were still together. I got some of their music from a friend in 2002 and they stayed off my radar.
08:02 AM on 12/19/08
permanentdan
User Info.
dude i am so glad someone reviewed this record. i think it is freaking fantastic and i LOVE redemption too. more people need to know about this band. i was just playing this for my best friend last night because he hadn't heard it yet.
08:05 AM on 12/19/08
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.
I really enjoy this album.
08:28 AM on 12/19/08
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
its, good, but i liked "redemption" much more. I like their bigger, hookier, poppier material verses this more dark and slower material, but its still solid. Kind of lacks variety though, the songs all blend together moreso than on "redemption". Their sound is very akin to NUFAN although this album kind of has a No Motiv type vibe to it, whatever their last album was called.
10:14 AM on 12/19/08
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
It's good to hear they are still making music. Does anyone remember the band Anti-Freeze too? They were kinda good.
10:21 AM on 12/19/08
radxbandit
i don't know
User Info.
i thought of that split with the ataris when i saw this post on the news thread. pretty cool that they're still plugging away, and that new song on myspace is sick.
10:45 AM on 12/19/08
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
Props for reviewing this. This record is pretty awesome. "Shallow End" is one of my favorite songs of the year, and it's just really solid throughout.

its, good, but i liked "redemption" much more. I like their bigger, hookier, poppier material verses this more dark and slower material, but its still solid. Kind of lacks variety though, the songs all blend together moreso than on "redemption". Their sound is very akin to NUFAN although this album kind of has a No Motiv type vibe to it, whatever their last album was called.
Agreed about the No Motiv feel.
10:57 AM on 12/19/08
Slaur
User Info.
I love this band
11:03 AM on 12/19/08
Justin_stacy
Go AWAY! Batin'!
User Info.
I thought this was their best release yet, sort of like a mature pop-punk.
12:00 PM on 12/19/08
grimis16
User Info.
been enjoying this cd for monehts. Good stuff.
02:33 PM on 12/19/08
xtheaudition
User Info.
these guys are still around? no way! useless i.d. rules!
02:33 PM on 12/19/08
xtheaudition
User Info.
can somebody send me this?
04:01 PM on 12/19/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
can somebody send me this?
You could always purchase it on Amazon -- I even provided the link for ya
Options
More From This Author